Latvian Army

Ahh, the classic red army parade through the streets..
Haven´t seen one of those for awhile.

Question: Have the Baltic states taken over the mine clearence operations outside their costs yet?
We have had our mineclearence divers there for about a decade now..
//KJ.

not sure but Latvia recently bought 5 used Alkmaar class minehunters from Netherlands, Estonia got some too and I'm sure Lithuania did as well. So I imagine we have...

For a country only a little larger than West Virginia, their small armed forces is probably more than adequate for their purposes.

Latvia = 63,589 sq kms
WVA = 62,755 sq kms.

What counts is not, "the size of dog in the fight", but, "the size of the fight in the dog".

I am quite sure that the Latvians can punch well above their weight, where the need arises.

I don't think our armed forces are adequate, but we simply cannot afford anything more right now. When soviet union collapsed our GDP went down 50%, the transition to capitalism was very long and difficult, it took about 12-13 years just to get back to the economic level we had during soviet union, which wasn't that great obviously anyway. and now with this crises our economy goes down 20% again.

But hopefully we will have real growth now and once our economy reaches a decent level- at least close to the average of EU, we could afford nice things like tanks, IFVs, fighter jets, helicopters, missiles, warships etc. Our military should still be small (~2500 soldiers) but very well equiped. But we should also have a large (50,000) zemessardze (national guard or reserve force). That would be perfect in my opinion. Hopefully by 2020 we can start to make it happen.

Hello
Im from Israel, but I was born in Latvia.
Someone can please tell me about the latvian army? tanks, aircrafts? Thanks.
3 tanks T-55, only one of them is functional.
they use the T-55? isnt that a little outdated...or am i mistaken?
It is intended to be used mainly for `psychological training` of personell. In real life, it is not used.
senojekips said:
For a country only a little larger than West Virginia, their small armed forces is probably more than adequate for their purposes.
Well, no... Despite of well-trained and well-equipped in the means of light infantry army, we most likely are not able to protect our territory from most probable enemy. Without almost any air defense system (we have RBS-70, but it can provide some level of tactical air defense), without large number of modern ATGM systems and trained personell we are not able to protect ourselves from Russian attack. Our army is small, well-trained army for peacekeeping missions if Afghanistan, that's it.

Back