Latin

Darkmb101

Amantes sunt amentes - Lovers are lunatics

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris amplioris - Face it, you're stuck in a dead end job

Braccae tuae aperiuntur - Your fly is open

Brevis ipsa vita est sed malis fit longior - Our life is short but is made longer by misfortunes. (Publilius Syrus)

Canis meus id comedit - My dog ate it

Credidi me felem vidisse! - I tought I taw a puddy tat!

Cui peccare licet peccat minus - One who is allowed to sin, sins less. (Ovid)

just some good quotes ive found :D

Thats a nice site i have some more :D

Da mihi sis cerevisiam dilutam - I'll have a light beer
Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum *** omnibus in eo - I'll have a pizza with everything on it
Damnant quod non intellegunt - They condemn what they do not understand
De nihilo nihil - Nothing comes from nothing. (Lucretius)
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem! - The devil made me do it!
Dic mihi solum facta, domina - Just the facts, ma'am
Dictum sapienti sat est - A word to a wise person is sufficient
Die dulci freure - Have a nice day
Dulce bellum inexpertis - War is sweet for those who haven't experienced it. (Pindaros)

(im sure their are some duplicates but oh well)
ab imo pectore - from the bottom of the chest (from the heart)
ab absurdo - from the absurd (establishing the validity of your argument by pointing out the absurdity of your opponent's position)
absit omen - may the omen be absent (may this not be an omen)
abusus non tollit usum - misuse does not nullify proper use
abyssus abyssum invocat - hell calls hell (one mistep leads to another)
acta est fabula - the drama has been acted out. Usually in the context of a life or event coming to an unhappy end
ad praesens ova cras pullis sunt meliora - eggs today are better than chickens tomorrow (a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush)
adversus solem ne loquitor - don't speak against the sun (don't waste your time arguing the obvious)
aegrescit medendo - the disease worsens with the treatment (the remedy is worse than the disease)
aeternum vale - farewell forever
a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi - a precipice in front, wolves behind (between a rock and a hard place)
alea iacta est - the die is cast. Julius Caesar uttered this when making the decision to cross the Rubicon in 49 B.C. Used when a bold and irretrievable decision has been made.
altissima quaeque flumina minimo sono labi - the deepest rivers flow with the least sound (still waters run deep)
amare et sapere vix deo conceditur - even a god finds it hard to love and be wise at the same time
amantes sunt amentes - lovers are lunatics
amantium irae amoris integratio est - lovers quarrels are the renewal of love
amicus humani generis - a friend of the human race (philanthropist)
amor vincit omnia - love conquers all
animis opibusque parati - prepared in minds and resources (ready for anything)
argumentum ad hominem - an argument against the man. Directing an argument against an opponent's character rather than the subject at hand.
ars longa, vita brevis - art is long, but life is short.
asinus asinum fricat - the ass rubs the ass (used to describe two people lavishing excessive praise on one another)
audaces fortuna iuvat - fortune favours the bold
aut disce aut discede - either learn or leave
aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I'll either find a way or make one
aut vincere aut mori - either to conquer or to die
ave, Caesar, morituri te salutamus - hail, Caesar, we who are about to die salute you
beati possidentes - blessed are those who possess (possession is nine points of the law)
beneficium accipere libertatem est vendere - to accept a favour is to sell one's freedom
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis - good wine gladdens a person's heart
carpe diem - seize the day
caveat emptor - let the buyer beware
cave canem - beware of the dog
cave quid dicis, quando, et cui - beware what you say, when, and to whom
cogito ergo sum - I think, therefore I exist
Cras amet qui nunquam amavit;
Quique amavit, cras amet - May he love tomorrow who has never loved before;
And may he who has loved, love tomorrow as well
*** grano salis - with a grain of salt
curae leves loquuntur ingentes stupent - slight griefs talk, great ones are speechless (minor losses can be talked away, profound ones strike us dumb)
de duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum - of two evils, the lesser is always to be chosen (choose the lesser of two evils)
de minimis non curat praetor - a praetor does not occupy himself with petty matters (don't bother me with petty matters)
diem perdidi - I have lost a day (another day wasted)
dixi - I have spoken (I will say no more on the matter, and no one else may speak further)
docendo discimus - teach in order to learn (we learn by teaching)
donec eris felix, multos numerabis amicos - as long as you are fortunate, you will have many friends (when you are successful, everyone wants to be your friend)
dura lex sed lex - the law is hard, but it is the law
errare humanum est - to err is human
exegi monumentum aere perennius - I have raised a monument more durable than bronze (from Horace's Odes)
exitus acta probat - the result validates the deeds. Avers that any means, no matter how foul may be used if the intended result is good. A dangerous idea.
fabas indulcet fames - hunger sweetens the beans. Beans being a poor man's fare implied that hunger makes everything taste good
facta non verba - deeds, not words (Actions speak louder than words)
fortes fortuna iuvat - fortune favours the brave
fortiter in re, suaviter in modo - resolutely in action, gently in manner. To do unhesitatingly what must be done but accomplishing it as inoffensively as possible.
in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello - in peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war
mendacem memorem esse oportet - it is fitting that a liar should be a man of good memory (liars should have good memories)
mens sana in corpore sano - a sound mind in a sound body
nemo liber est qui corpori servit - no one is free who is a slave to his body
nemo me impune lacessit - no one provokes me with impunity. (motto of the kings of Scotland)
non est vivere sed valere vita est - life is not being alive but being well (life is more than just being alive)
non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis - not for you, not for me, but for us
non semper erit aestas - it will not always be summer (be prepared for hard times)
non teneas aurum totum quod splendet ut aurum - do not take as gold everything that shines like gold
nulli secundus - second to none
omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis - all things change, and we change with them
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus - mountains will be in labour, and an absurd mouse will be born (all that work and nothing to show for it)
parva leves capiunt animas - small things occupy light minds (small things amuse small minds)
pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes - flatterers are the worst type of enemies
possunt quia posse videntur - they can because they seem to be able to (they can do it because they think they can do it - the power of positive thinking)
potius mori quam foedari - rather to die than to be dishonoured (death before dishonour)
praemonitus pramunitus - forewarned, forearmed
proprium humani ingenii est odisse quem laeseris - it is human nature to hate a person whom you have injured
quem di diligunt, adolescens moritur - whom the gods love die young (only the good die young)
quid novi? - what's new?
qui scribit bis legit - he who writes reads twice Something to keep in mind when developing Web pages
radix omnium malorum est cupiditas - the love of money is the root of all evil. Avarice is the problem, money itself is not evil.
respice, adspice, prospice - examine the past, examine the present, examine the future (look to the past, the present, the future)
respondeat superior - let the superior answer (a supervisor must take responsibility for the quality of a subordinate's work)
sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat - a wise man states as true nothing he does not prove (don't swear to anything you don't know firsthand)
semper fidelis - always faithful (Motto of the United States Marine Corps)
semper paratus - always ready (Motto of the United States Coast Guard)
si fecisti nega! - if you did it, deny it (stonewall!)
si finis bonus est, totum bonum erit - if the end is good, everything will be good (all's well that ends well)
si post fata venit gloria non propero - if glory comes after death, I'm not in a hurry (if one must die to be recognised, I can wait)
stultorum calami carbones moenia chartae - chalk is the pen of fools, walls (their) paper No Graffiti please. Showing that graffiti is nothing new.
sumptus censum ne superet - let not your spending exceed your income (live within your means)
tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito - Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them
una salus victis nullam sperare salutem - the one safety for the vanquished is to abandon hope of safety knowing there is no hope can give one the courage to fight and win
vade in pace - Go in peace (Roman way of saying goodbye)
veni vidi vici - I came, I saw, I conquered Julius Caesar's report of victory in 47 B.C. over Pharnaces, king of Pontus
veritas vos liberabit - the truth shall make you free
victis honor - honour to the vanquished
vincit qui se vincit - he conquers who conquers himself Advice for anyone contemplating a diet or kicking a habit.
vir sapit qui pauca loquitur - that man is wise who talks little (know when to hold your tongue)
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est - life is more than merely staying alive

Back