Last US Navy Ship sunk?

chronoserpent

My Blue & Gold officer (interviewer for the Naval Academy) challenged me to find out which ship was the last US Navy ship to be sunk in battle. I've searched all over, but I'm stumped.

Any of you guys have an idea?

What's that some say about minds and thinking alike?

Myself, wishing to stay modest and humble, I will allow another Poster to answer, and thus have the mantle of greatness thrust upon me from afar.

What's that some say about minds and thinking alike?

Myself, wishing to stay modest and humble, I will allow another Poster to answer, and thus have the mantle of greatness thrust upon me from afar.

Well from the last memo I got the story was that great minds think alike however there an equal number who would say that fools never differ and I am prepared to bet that if put to a vote there would be a predictable outcome and not necessarily a flattering one.

:)

However back on track, this is a rather tricky question as hitting a mine may not be what this guy is thinking of when he talks of "being lost in battle" and if that is the case then we would probably have to go back to the USS Indianapolis sinking or USS Bullhead of WW2.

Getting sunk by a Mine is sort of like getting sunk by a Sub in my opinion, so if it is Ship to Ship battle, I'd just have the other one at the ready.

There were Boats lost in Vietnam, no Ships as far as I know.

Navy people tell me the way to tell the difference between a Boat and a Ship is Boats are carried by Ships.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

US Navy Ship Sunk

The USNS Patuxent, a Fleet Replentishment Oiler of the Henry J. Kaiser class, was lost at sea this morning, CNN has learned. The Patuxent carried a crew of 104, but there has been no report on the number of casulaties.

the Patuxent is still on the Navy Lists- the story is a mock up and carries the following note. CNN Warning! This is part of a foreign policy simulation. The events depicted may not actually be happening.

I'm a bit hazy with the dates on this one but the USS Liberty was attacked by Israeli jets during the Arab - Israeli conflict resulting in the death of 34 US serviceman and wounding several hundred more. I can't remember whether the ship eventually sunk or was severely damaged. Never the less, this was an incident that was quietly kept out of the mainstream media to which no inquiries were made on part of the Israelis.

I'm a bit hazy with the dates on this one but the USS Liberty was attacked by Israeli jets during the Arab - Israeli conflict resulting in the death of 34 US serviceman and wounding several hundred more. I can't remember whether the ship eventually sunk or was severely damaged. Never the less, this was an incident that was quietly kept out of the mainstream media to which no inquiries were made on part of the Israelis.
Here you go. linky

Reply to GATOR on Naval ships and boats, a boat is a vessel under 70 feet, a ship 70 feet or larger. Subs are also referred to as boats.

USS Liberty

The attack on the USS Liberty was very well covered in the mainstream press at the time (there was even a special issue of Life magazine on the Six-Day War with an article on the attack), and there have been reports about the allegations of cover-up on the mainstream wire services and in prominent media market outlets such as the Washington Post, Newsweek (well, it was once mainstream media), the Christian Science Monitor, and so on.

If there was a cover-up, it was not perpetrated by the mainstream media. And the Liberty was not sunk.

Back