Last Stand In Iraq?

Fix bayonets

The question is; Will there be a proper last stand in Iraq by 'insurgent' forces or by coalition forces? (by way of proper I mean everybody killed on one side) Before long I think there will be as the 'insurgents' are very fanatical. What do you think?

No, I don't think so at all. I'm pretty sure the insurgentcy will last for at least another decade and will just eventually dissolve one or two or five terrorists at a time.

Maybe a bit of a Tet Offensive could happen? Then again, These insurgents are made up of different groups and have different ideals. Not only do these insurgents fight coalition troops but they fight each other as well.

TET relied heavily on Regular NVA formations to augment VC Main Force Formations. And hinged on a popular uprising that never happened. The current situation does not have that formula.

I doubt the USA army would have a last stand agianst the insurgents,however the insurgents will probably remain like the Neo-Nazi's in Europe,they may not show up very often however you know they are there.

That is certainly true, but im just pulling this out of the hat. The insurgency is not as strong as the Viet Cong and does not have strong outside support.

The coalition certainly wont have a last stand.

To be honest I figure once US forces finaly pull out the attacks will become less violent and probably go down. After all if you look at it most of the attacks are aimed directly at US Personnel,People who support the US Personnel,and the People who support the people who support the US Personnel.

They are not aimed at the Iraqi's themselves just the Americans.

As the Iraqi military and police strengthens and as America progressivly pulls out, the insurgency will eventually die down but won't disappear. They will be like the neo-nazi's in Europe as Darica said, or the Klu Klux Klan in America. They are still active but on an extremely small scale.

Actually more and more attacks are on Iraqis. Anybody in police, National Guard, or political circles is a prime target.

those insurgents probably will "stand" there for a pretty long period of time....because they exist based on the hatred of americans in arabian world.....as long as we dont reduce that hatred to a certain low level, insurgents will be there all the time

I believe so

I honestly do think there will be a proper last stand before long because there was nearky one in Pakistan against al-Qaeda.

Reember these people fight for what they believe in, they are not soldires they are not ordered to fight they have done so by their own free will

"Last stand" assumes they will be crushed and killed off or taken prisoner. There may be a "last stand" of a group of them, but there will _not_ be a "last stand" of terrorism. They will continue to exist in whole or in part for decades to come if not longer. Only the day when all people have an equal chance of prosperity and freedom will even start to bring an end to terrorism.

There is always the chance they would crushg the Iraqi government after the Americans pull out and make themsleves lead the nation, but that just means there will be more insurgents.

There will never be peace in Iraq as we understand it as long as the state of Iraq exists. There are too many factions that refuse to compromise. I wouldn't be surprised if Iraq goes the way of the former Yugoslavia at some point.

I think when the US and UK troops (remember we have a few thousand boys in there too) pull out the new Iraq military will continue to face daily attacks and it will be worse unless they shape up fast. Which I just can't see happening. Unless Iraq splits up into 'Kurdistan', 'Sunnistan' and 'Shitestan' (what a name!) it's just going to go on and on.

No last stand, they aren't stupid enough for that, I don't think they're strong or well coordinated enough to accomplish much by it.

Eventually it'll just dwindle down and down and down... I don't know how long it'll take, but most major terrorist and insurgent "operations" will cease.

There will be fighting for... a very long time... not with US troops though, only until Iraqi can handle the terrorist and internal strifes itself.

I pretty much agree with Blitzer on this. Anyways I strongly believe the key element will be the Iraqi Forces. To me, they are taking too long on their building process.

Back