Last Stand In Iraq?

This will go on for a while... it'll be stupid for the insurgents to have a final showdown, they won't have any advantage in that case. Hopefully the area can be stablized for a while for the people to make a change themselves.

The fact of the matter is a war agianst terrorism,or insurgents, can never be won because there is no clear definition of these 'insurgents' The insurgents see Americans as the enemy and the Americans see the insurgents as the enemy.

Charge_7 said:
"Last stand" assumes they will be crushed and killed off or taken prisoner. There may be a "last stand" of a group of them, but there will _not_ be a "last stand" of terrorism. They will continue to exist in whole or in part for decades to come if not longer. Only the day when all people have an equal chance of prosperity and freedom will even start to bring an end to terrorism.

That's the beauty of the "war on terror". It will never end unless the U.S. government calls it off. But might seem like admitting defeat making it unlikely to happen in the near future.

That's the beauty of the "war on terror". It will never end unless the U.S. government calls it off.

Uh, no. Terrorists were around before 9/11 and they will be around with or without US participation in the War on Terror. Nice "Baghdad Bob" avatar you have there.

Charge_7 said:
That's the beauty of the "war on terror". It will never end unless the U.S. government calls it off.

Uh, no. Terrorists were around before 9/11 and they will be around with or without US participation in the War on Terror. Nice "Baghdad Bob" avatar you have there.

Thanks, Charge_7. Is Baghdad Bob the same as Comical Ali? If so I can see the similarity :D The avatar is originally the "avatar" of the GLA Leader's Limo in a mission of the rts game Command & Conquer Generals Zero:Hour.

Slightly OT: Do you have any idea what country his uniform might be from?

Of course terrororists have been, and will be around for centuries or more. But since "terror" is such a broad term the "war" against it can be carried on forever, if so desired.

Doppleganger said:
There will never be peace in Iraq as we understand it as long as the state of Iraq exists. There are too many factions that refuse to compromise. I wouldn't be surprised if Iraq goes the way of the former Yugoslavia at some point.

I think when the US and UK troops (remember we have a few thousand boys in there too) pull out the new Iraq military will continue to face daily attacks and it will be worse unless they shape up fast. Which I just can't see happening. Unless Iraq splits up into 'Kurdistan', 'Sunnistan' and 'Shitestan' (what a name!) it's just going to go on and on.

Yes i agree, if you see how many attacks are happening when USA are IN Iraq, then think what will happen when they will leave..

Yes this isn't a war that'll end easily.... in fact one wonders if this truly is a war.
It doesn't really matter for those who fight though. If you die in a war, an intervention, a peacekeeping operation etc. what have you, you're still quite dead.
Once Iraq gets back on its feet, it should serve as a good example for the rest of the world that this sort of thing CAN be done but that freeing people will always be a very costly action.
And the nay sayers will be found as idiots once again.

It was already said about twenty times, but I'll say it anyway. This war won't be over for a very, very long time. Untill every last terrorist cell is found and destroyed, it will continue, and that isn't likely to happen any time soon. I'm still young, and I doubt I will see the end of this war in my lifetime (we're talking the next 100 years here).

Or, somehow, the West and the Middle East reach a peace agreement of some sort, and there is a Great Peace, like a Pax Americana or something, but the chances of that are null.

Fix bayonets said:
The question is; Will there be a proper last stand in Iraq by 'insurgent' forces or by coalition forces? (by way of proper I mean everybody killed on one side) Before long I think there will be as the 'insurgents' are very fanatical. What do you think?
It's a self-sustaining situation. In the modern world of Islam, every wack job you kill becomes a martyr (for no explainable reason) and this pushes 3-4 new people over the edge they were already very close to. And off they go into the world of Muslim fanaticism, where they will happily murder people for the glory of a God (Alah) that never asked them to murder to begin with and will damn them for eternity for it.

Ain't it fun?

godofthunder9010 said:
Fix bayonets said:
The question is; Will there be a proper last stand in Iraq by 'insurgent' forces or by coalition forces? (by way of proper I mean everybody killed on one side) Before long I think there will be as the 'insurgents' are very fanatical. What do you think?
It's a self-sustaining situation. In the modern world of Islam, every wack job you kill becomes a martyr (for no explainable reason) and this pushes 3-4 new people over the edge they were already very close to. And off they go into the world of Muslim fanaticism, where they will happily murder people for the glory of a God (Alah) that never asked them to murder to begin with and will damn them for eternity for it.

Ain't it fun?

Oh very.

the problem with fight a war on terror is, if you do hunt down every terrorist cell existing now, more will be created. All it takes is a bunch of brainwashed morons with a bit of training in blowing up cars, shooting rifles etc, and some one with a very dangerous mindset who plans these attacks, and you have a terrorist cell.
I really think the purpose of this war is to destory as many terrorists as humanly possible, and paralyze what groups that weren't destroyed so they cannot do anything to dangerous. Terrorisim will exist forever, it can though be very dangerous to oneself to become on, such as terrorists hunted in every nation on earth, no training camps that aren't attacked, no assests that aren't seized, no support from any religoius groups nothing. We may not be able to get rid of them completly but we can stop them from being as much of a threat as they are now.

There isn't a way to end these attacks. Let's just face it, there is NO way to end terrorism. Ever heard this, you can kill the people, but you can't kill an idea.

If we give up and leave them to their own devices, then the terrorists of today become the leaders of tomorrow. Best stop the thing now before tomorrow comes and it's impossible to stop.

I don't think there will be a last stand. These cowards over in Iraq will probably just keep recruiting people to blow themselves up.

Italian Guy said:
I think this could help: The best analysis of the Iraq situation I have read in weeks or months.

http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.23284,filter.all/pub_detail.asp

Good article IG. At least it was upbeat in the conclusion. I already see the Iraqi military becoming more proficient with all the US and Allied training. Fortunately the best forces in the present day world are spread across the Country establishing training camps. I just hope the coalition holds.

I also believe they will stay with the Guerrilla warfare, but when the time comes who knows, they could pull out something drastic, i guess we will wait and see.

I think the best thing for us is for them to pull someone darastic. Get em out in the open, lots more of em to kill.

Yeah, Rabs, too bad they figured it out.

Every time they mass we just blow them away. If you look at any major engagemnet by Iraqi forces it's been an overwhelming American victory.

You can shoot at some thin-skinned humvees but the second the Abrams and the Cobra gunships show up... it's time to meet your maker. An RPG isn't going to put a dent in that.

Back