The Last French WW1 Vet Dies

mmarsh

Last French WWI vet has died

The last 'poilou' has died. Lazare Ponticelli died 3 hours ago at 12:45 at age 110. He is the very last of the 8.5 Million French soldiers who fought in the trenches during the Great War.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/12/europe/EU-GEN-France-Obit-Last-Veteran.php

President Nicholos Sarkozy has ordered a national funeral to his memory and those who went before.

WWI is especially difficult for the French as they lost so much more than in WWII. When you factor in that 90% of all the battles of WWI were fought in France-Belgium and that it 4 year war cost 1.2 Million lives and completely devastated 1/2 of the country on a scale like Hiroshima memories such as this one are particularly heartfelt.

May he and his brenthern Rest in Peace.

Last edited:
And when he gets to heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell "One more soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in hell.

Lazare Ponticlli who was 110 years old has died. He was Frances last surviving WW1 soldier there are only eight soldiers left in the world from this conflict.

I think I will give up starting threads on here as when I start one it closed and put onto some one else's thread

Last edited:
It's sad to see these heroes go. I'm amazed that he made it to 110 years old. Rest in peace old hero of the Great War.

Back