Laser eye surgery

nellip88

Are you allowed to get this surgery before joining the military? How long do you have have to wait before joining after surgery ?

I got my eyes done while I was on active duty.

Your best bet is to call a recuiter (or the service branch you intend to join) they would know.

A search on "about.com" might help too

I highly suggest getting it after boot camp. It's free.
Pretty sure you can get it before you join though.

different types of surgery

In Australia you can get LASEK which is SF approved and gives you better results. However on the down side recovery time is longer and they reccomend you stay clear of water for 12 months. The risk of eye infection is to be minimised. The LASIK still gives good results and recovery time is fast but a blow of any kind to the eye can move the flap that is cut in the eye's lens (or what ever its called) this sometimes reduces the quality of your vision. Best advice is from a doctor anyway, but I did bootcamp with glasses and as soon as I had the chance I went for LASEK, you'll never look back (pardon the pun) I was absolutely thrilled with the results no more glasses, targets at 300m were sharply defined. Not everyone can have the surgery you need averge thicknees or thicker corneas but ask a Doc!

Best of luck!

thanks for the info.... i dont really wanna go through basic with birth control galsses... not a cosmetic thing :)but i think training might be harder for me anywy wearing glasses... i havent worn them in years( i have contacts) and im not used to them.

Same with me - I wore contacts for such a long time. A lot of people just never wore their glasses. I did, and it worked out just fine.

If it doesn't work out, don't worry. It'll be over soon. :)

Most AITs you can wear contacts too.... I got mine to me and wore them all the time...

nellip88 said:
thanks for the info.... i dont really wanna go through basic with birth control galsses... not a cosmetic thing :)but i think training might be harder for me anywy wearing glasses... i havent worn them in years( i have contacts) and im not used to them.

When your on the rifle range you will have to wear protective eyewear, your BC's will suffice much better then scratched up safty glasses will.

I'll also note that when shooting a rifle you don't focus on the target, but the sights meaning that your impared vision might not even be a factor.

ya my vision is pretty bad... like -4 whatever its measuered in so i probly culdt go without anything....im going to ask my recruiter about lasik...i think my mom and dad might pay for it... unless they find out the real reason i want the surgery...hahaha

My eye doctor told me I shouldn't get eye laser surgery untill 23 to 25 years old due to a guys eyes are still growing untill then

i know its illegal to post here unless you acctually went through basic but Im pretty well-informed on this topic. As i hear it from my dad,(recruiting NCOIC) the army is allowing recruits to have LASIK surgery done. The Air Force and Marine Corps and Navy havent decided what they are going to do. Mahon had it pretty much covered. I thought I would just add my bit.

Dawng i need laser eye surgery lol i heard that you cant become a pilot if you wear glasses??? So im switchin from aviation to pharmacy...

How big is the demand on pharmaceutical technicians in the military??? is it high like in the civilian world right now??

aznprince1989 said:
Dawng i need laser eye surgery lol i heard that you cant become a pilot if you wear glasses???
The Navy allows you to be a pilot if you're correctible to 20/20 with glasses, but you won't be flying jets, that's for sure. You probably won't get fixed-wing aircraft, either -- most likely helicopters.

You can be a Naval Flight Officer or an Air Force Navigator with glasses -- again, correctible to 20/20.

Has anyone had the surgury? Whats it like? Does it really restore your vision. I am nearsighted, I have 80% in my left eye 20% in my right. I hate wearing glasses and never do, is this something for me? I am scared to death of some quack making me blind.

Back