Largest army ever commanded by one man? - Page 3

--

October 17th, 2005  
Charge 7

Actually, if I had been a communist I would've said something like "our glorious leader so troubled by affairs of state turned over direct control to his marshals so he could give such matters his full attention."

What I did was call it straight. Stalin did have the sense to eventually realize he was screwing things up and stepped out of direct control. My comment on that is hardly flattering. If he'd had good sense to begin with he'd never have tried it. There is a world of difference between the phrases "good sense" and "wise enough".
October 17th, 2005  
Doppleganger

The answer is Stalin, whether he actually directed orders or not. The Red Army were, in theory and in practice, acting at his behest.

BTW, Hitler was not as bad a military commander as most people seem to make out. He actually had a solid grip on strategy. For example, he approved the Manstein Plan for the invasion of France and ignored the advice of most of his Senior Staff in the process. He was proven right as history tells us. Most of the West's view of Hitler as a military commander is through the memoirs of his Generals, who had a vested interest in making themselves look as good as possible and blaming Hitler for almost every problem. Hitler didn't come up with the strategy for the Battle of Kursk as many people commonly believe he did. Yet he gets blamed for it by many people.

Hitler went seriously wrong when he tried to micro-manage everything. His paranoia and onset of Parkinson's didn't help either. He also listened to the wrong men who told him what he wanted to hear and not what was really happening. He really needed to listen to commanders like Guderian and Manstein who could have saved the Third Reich from ruin had they been given the chance.
October 17th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

so I was right ^_^
--
October 17th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
The answer is Stalin, whether he actually directed orders or not. The Red Army were, in theory and in practice, acting at his behest.

BTW, Hitler was not as bad a military commander as most people seem to make out. He actually had a solid grip on strategy. For example, he approved the Manstein Plan for the invasion of France and ignored the advice of most of his Senior Staff in the process. He was proven right as history tells us. Most of the West's view of Hitler as a military commander is through the memoirs of his Generals, who had a vested interest in making themselves look as good as possible and blaming Hitler for almost every problem. Hitler didn't come up with the strategy for the Battle of Kursk as many people commonly believe he did. Yet he gets blamed for it by many people.

Hitler went seriously wrong when he tried to micro-manage everything. His paranoia and onset of Parkinson's didn't help either. He also listened to the wrong men who told him what he wanted to hear and not what was really happening. He really needed to listen to commanders like Guderian and Manstein who could have saved the Third Reich from ruin had they been given the chance.
Now that's what I call a good comment, man.
October 23rd, 2005  
LeEnfield

After many muck ups Stalin stood back and let the Generals run the war, he in turn set the directives and aims for them to follow.
October 23rd, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

so I am right, just admit it
November 2nd, 2005  
LeEnfield

Now no one has mentioned Ike I wonder why
November 3rd, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

what me man??
November 14th, 2005  
LeEnfield

Now General Slim commanded the British & Commonwealth 14th Army, this consisted of 1 million men. This Army fought in south East Asia and was nick named the forgotten army
November 14th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

I guess its true then.. A true hero is a hidden hero..

Anyway, one million is nothing compared to the armies mister Stalin had..but still