Largest army ever commanded by one man?

WEll, Wad about those war's in Ancient times? Like those commandered in India in around 1000AD? Wad about the ancient armies in China commandered by Emporer Qin in around 2AD? I think there are definitly more!

zander_0633 said:
WEll, Wad about those war's in Ancient times? Like those commandered in India in around 1000AD? Wad about the ancient armies in China commandered by Emporer Qin in around 2AD? I think there are definitly more!
Unlikely I think, when you compare the world's population of back then with what it was in the 1940s. There was only an entire world-wide population of about 150 million in 2AD compared with about 2 billion in the 1940s. A country's population size generally has a large bearing on the size of the armies it can potentially field.

Stalin commanded an army in WW2 (including support and rear-echelon personnel) of between 5 and 10 million men at any one time. Allowing for combat losses and other attrition the total number of men Stalin had under his command between 1941 and 1945 would have been about 25-30 million men. And that's just the Red Army. I haven't began to count the Naval, Airforce or security personnel that Stalin also would have controlled.

I find it difficult to believe that any pre 1900s army could match those numbers.

Back