Landmines and the Geneva convention (from the MOS thread)

:lol:

There are many ways to bend the rules, but we are actually following them here.
A remote detonated charge will always be watched (by us) when it's set off, and the risk of injuring/killing innocent civilians is the same as with other weapon systems.
And in our daily training we are very aware on what we call it, it's never an AP mine, but it's a "sector-charge"...

And to the rest of you;
Here's some info about the The Antipersonnel Mine Ban Convention (APMBC):
http://www.mineaction.org/misc/dynamic_overview.cfm?did=23

A remote detonated charge will always be watched (by us) when it's set off, and the risk of injuring/killing innocent civilians is the same as with other weapon systems.
And in our daily training we are very aware on what we call it, it's never an AP mine, but it's a "sector-charge"...

Yes, but calling a duck a chicken won't make it a chicken .....

most AP mines detonate by a pressure of about 30kg
but I've seen some during my close quarters training wich detonate by a few grams. And of course they all exlode when they are moved...the newer generations....
The third generation AT mines arent triggered by pressure but by MAD.

sure?
im absolutely sure thar our mine thrower scorpion and our artillery use that mines that are triggered by MAD.....
the mines i use are triggeres by pressure.....
but they are quite antique

Landmines

Hello,
Unfortunately, mines are still being used throughout the world. The Lautenberg Treaty was signed several years ago banning use of APERS (anti-personnel) mines like the M16 and Bouncing Betty types. Korea did not sign that treaty so APERS mines are still used over there.

Just recently, America joined other nations in signing a treaty eliminating the use of non-metallic mines (a favorite of the terrorist network, I suppose) such as the M19 AT (anti-tank) mines because they were difficult to detect with mine detection systems.

Claymores are normally command detonated so they don't really fall into the category of offensive type mines. Their use is primarily defensive in nature (although they make interesting toys for our green berets).

It will be many years before we filter through the world's arsenal on landmines. Vestiges of previous wars where minefields were laid still crop up so it isn't just an American problem, but one of humanity itself.

Mines are not prejudicial when it comes to the ignition of its firing train.

:roll:

Pollux said:
sure?
im absolutely sure thar our mine thrower scorpion and our artillery use that mines that are triggered by MAD.....
the mines i use are triggeres by pressure.....
but they are quite antique

Positive, though we may have hit a language barrier. Internet coupled with language differences, perhaps you'll explain this a little better for me:
"mines that are triggered by MAD" .. that looks to me as if you're talking about a magnetometer, which is essentially what MAD is, ans most mines won't have a detector that advanced. There are many other ways new gen mines can be triggered besides a magnetic sensor.

Pressure is "old school," but not quite out of the picture .. but by far the easiest to remove.

Lol.....yeah maybe...
What I've been told about our AT-2 mine is that if a tank or sth drives over it, the mine discerns the disturbance in the magnetic field caused by the tank and explodes......
so I'm no pioneer, just a dumb infatrist :D , but i think that was what I've been told during my officers course

Pollux said:
Lol.....yeah maybe...
What I've been told about our AT-2 mine is that if a tank or sth drives over it, the mine discerns the disturbance in the magnetic field caused by the tank and explodes......
so I'm no pioneer, just a dumb infatrist :D , but i think that was what I've been told during my officers course

Yes, the AT-2 has what is called a magnetic influence fuze. It is activated by changes in the immiedate magnetic field. The problem with these is that not only will tanks set them off, but so can people. Because of the AHD and the magnetic fuzing it can be detonated by someone walking into it or tripping over it, or having a powerful watch too close. No big deal if it is the enemy, but makes for bad press and Amnesty International will be at your doorstep. :lol:

Metal detectors (which is maybe what you meant by MAD) will detonate the fuse about 50% of the time .. and knives have been known to send one flying as well. Luckily those little suckers have a self destruct.

Pollux said:
Didnt know that those babies are that sensitive

Mostly it's the AHD that makes it moody, but those fuses are ornery little things anyway. Italy, IIRC, stopped using them AT-2s back in the 90s .. too many personnel casualties and pressure from the "feel good" groups.

Pollux said:
didnt know that
i didnt hear anything bad about the AT-2 here in the Bundeswehr

I'm not sure one could call it "bad," gets the job done, and nicely at that. Anything like this has it's quirks, how it's dealt with depends on training and skill .. and sometimes a little good luck floating your way.

If I ever get to choose between skill, and luck. I'll take luck.

At basic I was never taught how to do anything besides emplace an M21 AT mine, emplace and recover a claymore, and self-extract from a minefield. So alll of this mine shit is new two me. They also gave us a briefing on mines, and said that a toe popper would take the steel plate in my jungle boot, and put it through my hip bone. How much is true, and how much is bullshit, I don't know.

My buddy here who was an engineer with the 82d in Afghanistan, said that these little italian mines had two magnets that would set the mine off, if any metal came near them. in them and when they worked with them they had to take off everything that had metal in it. ID tags, boots, BDUs, everything.

What is that new AT mine that shoots bomblets out, it goes off by sensing vibration? I am not quites sure about the specifics I only heard about it.

Gemeva convenction is a agreement about using for example napalm,land mines,cluster bombs and it was agreed betwen all military forces in the world but nobody seems to work as agreed!!

Damn, you are in Seribia, you must no all about mines. MY buddy went there, his comment, "Gorgeous country, pretty women, lots of minefields."

Back