The Land-warrior system

Really old stuff.
We tried it out around 2000, couldn´t get it to work.

Too heavy.
Too bulky.
Too few advantages.
Wires just waiting to get caught up on stuff.
Battery operated.

IMO this was more a prototype to show people in wich direction we COULD have gone.

//KJ.

Last edited:
Rubbish, what they want is powered exoskeleton which is still not out for decades, its a concept way ahead of available technologies.

Big yes to the new and improved Comms and HUD, i find the new weapon system as too fancifull since existing firearms do the job just fine, as for armor they should concentrate on spider silk and improving existing designs instead of piling dead weight on a already have grunt.

Lockheed has introduced the HULC (Human Universal Load Carrier), they said soldiers will be able to carry loads up to 200 pounds with minimal effort. HULC transfers the weight from heavy loads to the ground through the battery-powered, titanium legs of the lower-body exoskeleton. An advanced onboard micro-computer ensures the exoskeleton moves in concert with the individual. HULC’s completely un-tethered, hydraulic-powered anthropomorphic exoskeleton design allows for deep squats, crawls and upper-body lifting with minor exertion.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/..._022609_LockheedMartinUnveilsExoskeleton.html

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ_qR8zCLDc

Next design : they will give the HULC a satellite-linked-microprocessors-brain, so the soldiers could stay in their home holding a joystick doing war at Iraq... :D

Welcome to the H.E.V. Mark four protection system. :D

Sounds awesome until it gets hit once and now you are carrying 200 lbs. Maybe they can figure out a way to use those new fabrics that can tense up and move themselves to make something safer in the future.

Wonder what happens of one of those battery packs gets hit by a bullet?

Gave me an idea.....use battery packs as body armor. Then our soldier who's waddling along as a slow target,will at least be well encased.

I figure that with $$$ galore in the smart backpack and a lot of weight that gun with the airburst grenades and videocam gets replaced by the .22lr Armalite survival rifle (with mp3 player in the buttstock) to save on ammo weight.

Last edited:
Lockheed has introduced the HULC (Human Universal Load Carrier), they said soldiers will be able to carry loads up to 200 pounds with minimal effort. HULC transfers the weight from heavy loads to the ground through the battery-powered, titanium legs of the lower-body exoskeleton. An advanced onboard micro-computer ensures the exoskeleton moves in concert with the individual. HULC’s completely un-tethered, hydraulic-powered anthropomorphic exoskeleton design allows for deep squats, crawls and upper-body lifting with minor exertion.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/..._022609_LockheedMartinUnveilsExoskeleton.html

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ_qR8zCLDc

Next design : they will give the HULC a satellite-linked-microprocessors-brain, so the soldiers could stay in their home holding a joystick doing war at Iraq... :D

Recently flew and most folks have a backpack/suitcase on wheels with handle. Mine does quite well on dirt trails,grass. No battery needed. Nice load,no strain.
Could do like the VC...bicycles,or go old school with pack mules.
I wonder how it would work to have a squad with FNP90's and a light fanny pack with ammo and a couple burritos up front and there's a few guys behind as designated marksman,communications,and transporting most of the gear.

The 25 mm airburst grenade launcher can be a VERY big plus. Some of the Hi-tech goodies are kind of excess loading:horsie:

I love reading all the comments about how this system will never be fielded. It has been slimmed down and fielded with impressive results already. The program is proceeding along just fine. They dumped the parts that were too heavy and didn't work, and kept what they needed.
http://defense-update.com/newscast/...kerbrigadecombatteamsbctdeployedtoiraq09.html

As for it being too heavy, it is not and the units are fielded to Stryker infantry units who operate from vehicles, NOT straight up light units. The current system allows for the team leader, squad leaders and higher to see where their other units are through the eyepiece. View maps with graphics. Digitally mark which buildings are to be targeted or have been cleared and send that info to the other team leaders. You can pull up images of HVIs to see if you have caught a guy who is wanted. You can take pictures of weapons caches and send them digitally through the Stryker to your command post so that you can recieve the support assets you need to clear stuff (engineers, EOD etc). It is a lot more useful than people would have you beleive. It was well recieved by the guys who used it. I saw this system and got hands on with it in Iraq in 2007, and was extremely impressed. As for the lack of batteries comment, don't take this the worng way, but logistics problems are much more prevelant in the Marines than in the Army. I almost always have what I need. I probably have a couple hundred surefire batteries in my room right now for my platoon to take from, and I am resupplied regularly. I have even heard Marines say "if you want logistics join the Army, Marines know how to make do" like it's a source of pride or something. I personally enjoy recieving proper logistical support.

Last edited:
X-box Combat

I thought that with Rumsfeld gone they had dropped this boondogle. Having spent many years as a leg I can tell you what will happen to most of this crap after just a couple of hour of humping in 100 degree 100% humidity.

Who thought of this; one of those guys who thinks war is the same as a computer game. :hide::m16shoot:

I thought that with Rumsfeld gone they had dropped this boondogle. Having spent many years as a leg I can tell you what will happen to most of this crap after just a couple of hour of humping in 100 degree 100% humidity.

Who thought of this; one of those guys who thinks war is the same as a computer game. :hide::m16shoot:

Yeah, it's sooooo bad that Special Forces just announced last week that they are fielding a whole battalion's worth of it. Tell the green berets that they don't know about humping in the heat or that they think war is a video game and see how that goes. Get some experience on the system before you judge things. It now weighs half as much as the system used in Iraq last year and the capabilities have been increased. The modern battalefield is all about situational awareness and you need to know where you are at and your other units are at all the time, especially when you operating dismounted and in very small teams.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/11/army_landwarrior_110909w/

Back