Land navigation - map and compass

Remington 1858

I participate in the sport of orienteering, a type of foot race with map and compass. This autumn I will be entering a night orienteering event. I use a Brunton model 40 B orienteering compass in the daytime. It is an excellent instrument. It can be pre-set for the declination, eliminating the need for computing the difference between grid or true north and magnetic north. That is significant because where i live the declination is 16 degrees east, that's a lot!
My question is this: for those who participate in night map and compass activities, what model of compass is equipped with a good illuminated dial, either Tritium or Phosphor material? I require a compass that may be available in the U.S.
I own a U.S. Army lensatic compass, but don't care to use this over an orienteering compass.

I have followed the good old army lensatic compass more miles than I can care to remember.
The idea concept that operator headspace is as good as bells and whistles is a good one.

I have followed the good old army lensatic compass more miles than I can care to remember.
The idea concept that operator headspace is as good as bells and whistles is a good one.

Bingo, I too simply use the good old Army lensatic compass and it has yet to steer me wrong on day or night land nav. Most failings in land nav in my experience have very little to do with equipment failure and everything to do with operator error.

I bought myself a compass in 1990 or 1991 (or thereabouts) because at the time I was in charge of the Rifle Group in my Section (the Section is basically the same as the US Squad). Normally only the Section Commander and the 2IC would have issued compasses but I wanted to be able to check nav myself.

I bought a Silva Type 4/54 because it's marked in both Mils and Degrees and has luminous markers for night work. It's also got a small magnifying lens set in the base for close up map reading (or burning the back of your mate's head just for shits and giggles). Plus it can also be pre-set to compensate for magnetic variation.
I've still got it to this day.

I have purchased a Suunto M-3 IN. I have a lensatic compass but that type is too slow for an orienteering event. An orienteering event is a race. You could use a lensatic if you didn't mind coming in last.
The M-3 allows you to preset the declination which in my area is 16 degrees East. That's a significant amount. The M-3 has a luminous dial so it should work okay at night.

Back