Land Mines

Charge 7

Master Gunner
Okay, this may be opening a HUGE can of worms but here goes. I'm interested in hearing what folks from other countries have to say about land mines. Particularly those from countries that have to deal with them. In the US and UK and I'm sure quite a few other places this issue has been much in the news. The US has recently banned a group of mines but not all. You can read about that here:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/05/landmines.ap/

Currently, the only mines the US reserves the right to use at any time are delayed action mines that self destruct over a period of time. There is one exception - the border of North and South Korea. To my mind, that one can't be faulted given the current state of affairs. What are your thoughts on this issue? Please hold the uproar to a minimum and discuss rather than denigrate.

i think most of mines end up kiling civilians....right?

armies know there are mines and they won't step on them..
but those innocent ppl dont know...

we really got to ban mines.

Thanks, Doody. I did a search btw before creating this topic and your poll didn't come up. I wonder why?

It's better than nothing but you know they'll fail and still maim people... the problem is usually when armies of warlords etc plant them they don't really keep a good track of where they were buried.
Most up to scratch professional armies mark them on a map and digging them up after they're done isn't a problem. Then you have those airdropped bastards...

sigh.....

the problem i think is that ppl now developed those powerful mines...like exploding spikes stuff....very inhumane.

Sexybeast said:
sigh.....

the problem i think is that ppl now developed those powerful mines...like exploding spikes stuff....very inhumane.

What is war? Its inhumane. But as is said to undestand war is to better understand our world.

Mines are very useful, and no matter if you lay them or not people with still be hurt i.e. unexploded arty, dropped nades, ect... what do we do after we ban mines do we ban arty because dud rounds fall short and Mr. HobbyDobby starts kicking it and gets blowup? Deaths happen in war civilain and soldier.

I don't agree with landmine ban. The whole stupid idea has been developed by countries who don't need any landmine anyway.

Top typical people to agree landmine ban are either communist or at least treehugger hippie (wich are mostly communists too).

SM65_iso.jpg

Usually the safe European countries who want to issue it, know the American's can't agree to it and makes the Americans look bad. They've done it before. Kyoto is an example of it.

the_13th_redneck said:
Usually the safe European countries who want to issue it, know the American's can't agree to it and makes the Americans look bad. They've done it before. Kyoto is an example of it.

We can't unless traditional landmines are fully replaced with new better mine systems. We have a huge unstable poor and undemocratic hostile state right at the next door and over 1000km land border with it. Experiences of last 1000 year history has proven Russia as aggressive and unrealiable neighbour. Not reliable and friendly like Sweden and Norway. Situation is basically quite same like in Israel and S-Korea.

Always commies are talking about civilians stepping on mines to get their landmine ban throught, but in our case only an enemy soldier (approaching from the east, surprise!) will step on a finnish landmine. Even talking about any bans of anything is mindless.

"Something tells me that Finland will ban the LM anyway, EU will put a lot of presure on Finland."

EU won't put anything. Only one who is putting any pressure is our current feminist lesbian president. Mines are replaced with disspenced mines wich are much faster deployed and are much more evil than traditional ones. Why not ban them? I see that whole Ottawa treatment only a politicians way to show themselves as world savers.

Banned and banned... TNT part of sm/65 is not banned and is widely used by construction company in explosion works. Detonator sakarasytytin m/65 is not banned along vetosytytin m/68 and if really needed, some of them may be combined...

Anyway there is no landmines in finnish use, just only explosion device m/65 and m/68. The american way to solve the problem, just change the names on the boxes. ;)

Why didn't for example princess Diana pressure UK to ban seamines instead of landmines?

Probably because poor little 12 year olds usually don't end up stepping on sea mines.
Either way the ban isn't going to work. You're right it's just politicians trying to fatten their CV.

Granted ppl step on them, thats what there for, but then again M18 ang M16 APERS Mines are very deadly, more deadly than a anti-tank mine, besides we ban mines doesn't mean our enemies are going to obey the ban. The VC and NVA took our mines and planted them in areas civilians used and many ppl got blow away.

That's why the ban thing isn't going to work. The bad guys will ignore it. It's the crucial part of the equasion that hippies seem completely oblivious to.

Back