Lance Armstrong

Sooners1

I am curious to see what all of you think about Lance Armstrong. I am a fan of his and was watchin some broadcasts and the reporters were sayin that he was actually gettin spit on, stuff thrown at him and cursed at while durin the race. There is supposedly a lot of hatred towards him for winnin the 5 times and it was worse while he was competing for the 6th. Yes, he did win it and I think that is an amazing feat no matter what country you might be from. I want to know if there is that much hatred out there towards him for being what and who he is and where he is from.

Pogue said:
I personally think he is one of the best athletes ever.
I agree, he overcame cancer and got back in the race. With his sixth victory i believe he has set a new world record.

Yes he has set the record he was tied at 5 witha guy from France. I am curious because supposedly people from other countries are the ones doin these things to him.

I admire him. I've seen what cancer can do to people way to many times, and I admire anyone who can get back out there and do things after it. Especially win something like that. Those people are just jealous.

<- He did amazing this year. Eliminated all his competition and rode all stages strongly, most notably L'Alpe d'Huez.

The french have never like Lance. Year after year Lance is heckled for one thing or another. The one thing that pisses off lance more than anything is the accusations of dopping. No one can believe that Lance could come back from the death bed without the help of drugs. Since he won his 1st tour, he's been the most tested athlete in the world. And everytime he's pissed in a cup, he's come out clean. Fans have chanted "drugs drugs drugs" as he climbed in the mountains. Durring this Tour, Greg Lemond told the french press that he thinks Lance must be dopping. What a sell out

Screw the French and screw Lemond. Long live the King!!!!

I don't follow bicycling that much (or sports for that matter), but I've heard the scuttlebutt on Armstrong. And I've seen how cancer just ruins the body, worse than getting shot.

That man's got serious cojones, the fact that he recovered from all that cancer is enough to rate that. The fact that he's won the Tour de France 6 times, something which most perfectly healthy people balk at even qualifying for, stands alone untouched by the rest of humanity.

The thing I hear which gives me the greatest pleasure is all of those hacks (be they French or otherwise) who try to nail him on drugs and having his piss come out clean every time. Bugger that.[/i]

It’s his determination and practice regime that makes him the outstanding athlete that he is. It was like that one Nike poster/commerical a few years back. "This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day.
What are you on?"

my sincerest apologize for having to shoot down some ideas:

Armstrong dominates the Tour, he does not compete in the Giro de Italia, the spring classics or otherwise. Nor does he even hold the record for most Yellow Jerseys

Merckx dominated EVERYTHING, he won 5 Tours, the Giro, the Spring Classics, the Tour of Spain. And he holds the highest record for yellow jerseys.

Armstrong is easily a great athelete, but he is not the best in the sport. Armstrong has said he might not be back for another Tour because he feels that if he did not compete in the Giro de Italia to win it, his career would be less fulfilling.

He also wants to repay some of the domestiques that helped him win the Tours by riding for them so that they maybe able to earn some victories.

For more info on Lance or the races listed

www.velonews.com

As for records, Lance is the first man to ever win 6 Tours as well as 6 Tours consecutvely. The only other man to come close was Miguel Indurain who won 5 consecutvely.

There are 4, five time winners (Armstrong not included):

Jacques Anquetil (1957, 1961-4), Eddy Merckx (1969-72, 1974, Bernard Hinault (1978-9, 1981-2, 1985), Miguel Indurain 1991-5 - only man to win five in a row other than Armstrong)

And 1, 6 time winner: Armstrong (1998-2004)

Merckx sounds like quite an athlete also but the thing with Lance is his comeback from cancer and then on to win what he did. Just to compete and come close would be astounding for someone coming back from cancer. Drive on Lance and good luck.

As far as the bad sportsmanship goes, it happens unfortunately, I remember in high school on road games after we beat those teams we'd get eggs thrown at the bus, etc. The poor losers are the real losers. Good losers at least keep their self respect and that of those around them.

Back