Lakers' Mihm set for more ankle surgery

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Lakers center Chris Mihm will undergo surgery Monday to repair a ligament and tendon in his right ankle, a procedure that will likely keep him sidelined for most of the season, the team said Friday night.
Mihm injured his ankle in a game against Seattle on March 12 and played just once the rest of last season. He had ankle surgery July 26 and missed training camp and all eight preseason games.
The latest surgery will be done in Baltimore. His projected recovery time is five to eight months.
"Although I knew a few months ago that there was a chance I'd need such a surgery, it was my hope that through alternative methods and therapy, I'd be able to join my Lakers teammates and make it through the season," Mihm said in a statement. "Unfortunately, despite an intense and grueling therapy regimen, my ankle simply has not responded the way I had hoped."
Lakers coach Phil Jackson had no comment on Mihm's status when asked before the game. He deferred to team spokesman John Black, who announced the latest setback in a news release.
"Naturally I'm disappointed, but I'm optimistic that in the long run this surgery will lead to a 100 percent recovery and I look forward to resuming my NBA career full-bore," Mihm said.

Back