This lady has got massive balls!!!

With many of the crimes committed in South Africa such as farmers who have been tortured then killed or the case of the young boy who had to watch his mother being raped then murdered, then he was drowned in boiling water, many people quite rightly demand the death penalty.

However, there have been too many people put to death who should never have been, for example Derek Bentley. In 1952 Derek Bentley and his mate Christopher Craig broke into a warehouse, they were spotted and the police called. Craig armed himself with a Colt New Service .455 Webley calibre revolver, of which Craig had shortened the barrel so that it could be easily carried in his pocket. Craig also carried a number of undersized rounds for the revolver, some of which he had modified by hand to fit the gun. Bentley carried a sheath knife and a spiked knuckle-duster, both of which Craig had given to Bentley.

When the police arrived, the two youths hid behind the lift-housing. Craig taunted the police. One of the police officers, Detective Sergeant Frederick Fairfax, climbed the drainpipe onto the roof and grabbed hold of Bentley. Bentley broke free of Fairfax's grasp. What happened then is a matter of controversy: police witnesses later claimed Bentley shouted the words "Let him have it, Chris" to Craig. Craig and Bentley denied those words were ever spoken; Craig maintained this denial when interviewed nearly 40 years later in September 1991.

Craig fired his revolver at Fairfax, striking him in the shoulder. Despite his injury, Fairfax was again able to restrain Bentley. Bentley told Fairfax that Craig was armed with a revolver and had further ammunition for the gun. Bentley had not used either of the weapons which he had in his pockets.
A group of uniformed police officers arrived and was sent onto the roof. The first to reach the roof was Police Constable Sidney Miles, who was immediately killed by a shot to the head. After exhausting his ammunition and being cornered, Craig jumped around 30 feet (10 metres) from the roof onto a greenhouse, fracturing his spine and left wrist.

To cut a long story short, Bentley was 18 years old but with a mental age of 10 years, his buddy Craig was 16. On being found guilty of the murder of P.C. Miles, Bentley was sentenced to death as he was 18 years old, Craig being 16 years old was sentenced to be detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure. He was eventually released in May 1963 after serving 10 years' imprisonment.

At 9am on 28 January 1953, Derek Bentley was hanged for murder at Wandsworth Prison, London by Albert Pierrepoint. When it was announced the execution had been carried out, there were protests outside the prison and two people were arrested and later fined for damage to property.

There were a number of anomalies during the trial, where evidence that could have saved Bentleys life were not allowed.

Following the execution there was a public sense of unease about the decision, resulting in a long campaign, mostly led by Bentley's sister Iris, to secure a posthumous pardon for him. In March 1966 his remains were removed from Wandsworth Prison and reburied in a family grave. In August 1970, Lord Goddard told Yallop that he thought Bentley was going to be reprieved, said he should have been, and attacked Maxwell-Fyfe for allowing the execution to go ahead.

On 29 July 1993, Bentley was granted a royal pardon in respect of the sentence of death passed upon him and carried out. However in English law this did not quash his conviction for murder.

Eventually, on 30 July 1998, the Court of Appeal quashed Bentley's conviction for murder. Craig welcomed the pardon granted to Bentley. However, Bentley's parents and sister had died by this date. Bentley himself would have been 65 years old.

Albert Pierrepoint Britains last hangman and the man who hanged Bentley. Pierrepoint kept his opinions to himself on the topic until his 1974 autobiography, Executioner: Pierrepoint, in which he wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that executions solve nothing, and are only an antiquated relic of a primitive desire for revenge which takes the easy way and hands over the responsibility for revenge to other people ... The trouble with the death penalty has always been that nobody wanted it for everybody, but everybody differed about who should get off.

Albert Pierrepoint Britains last hangman and the man who hanged Bentley. Pierrepoint kept his opinions to himself on the topic until his 1974 autobiography, Executioner: Pierrepoint, in which he wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that executions solve nothing, and are only an antiquated relic of a primitive desire for revenge which takes the easy way and hands over the responsibility for revenge to other people ... The trouble with the death penalty has always been that nobody wanted it for everybody, but everybody differed about who should get off.

Pierrepoint was wrong executions prevent re-offending and are to be blunt a more cost effective process than life in prison.
Take for example Martin Bryant or Anders Breivik do you think either of these two are going to see the light of day outside a prison wall?

The answer is no they arent, is there any chance they were wrongly convicted I suspect the answer is no once again then what is the point in the taxpayer forking out the countless thousands of dollars it is going to take to keep them alive, fed and healthy in prison?

I am a firm believer that those people need a bullet to the back of the head, harvest any usable organs, kick the corpse into the first rendering plant you can find and move on with life.

The death penalty is not a deterrent and in part it is about revenge but it also has a practical application and has its place in society.

Last edited:
Unfortunately in the UK the legal system is so antiquated and full of contradictions that it would need a complete overhaul if the death penalty was to be reintroduced.
Too many miscarriages of justice have occured, such as the Craig and Bentley case.
What is the use of a Royal Pardon if the person is dead? It will not bring them back.
Too many people have been wrongly convicted and if society is going to execute criminals, they need to make sure that our legal system is as efficient and watertight as possible, which unfortunately it is not.
I would like to see the death penalty reintroduced in the UK, but not before our legal system gets rebuilt from the ground up, and thats never going to happen!

Pierrepoint was wrong executions prevent re-offending and are to be blunt a more cost effective process than life in prison.
Take for example Martin Bryant or Anders Breivik do you think either of these two are going to see the light of day outside a prison wall?

The answer is no they arent, is there any chance they were wrongly convicted I suspect the answer is no once again then what is the point in the taxpayer forking out the countless thousands of dollars it is going to take to keep them alive, fed and healthy in prison?

Most people are for the death penalty, until its one of their own relations. I agree the death penalty does stop reoffending, provided the person or persons put to death were guilty in the first place. All too many innocent people have faced the gallows because someone made a cockup somewhere. I'm all for putting prisoners to work cleaning the streets of rubbish, jobs that many people wouldn't want to do.

I am a firm believer that those people need a bullet to the back of the head, harvest any usable organs, kick the corpse into the first rendering plant you can find and move on with life.

The death penalty is not a deterrent and in part it is about revenge but it also has a practical application and has its place in society.

If I were on the jury of a capital murder trial I would be terrified that I could be sending an innocent person to their death. I wonder how many jurors have found it difficult to live with themselves after sending an innocent person to their death. I wouldn't want that on my conscience, would you?

Most people are for the death penalty, until its one of their own relations. I agree the death penalty does stop reoffending, provided the person or persons put to death were guilty in the first place. All too many innocent people have faced the gallows because someone made a cockup somewhere. I'm all for putting prisoners to work cleaning the streets of rubbish, jobs that many people wouldn't want to do.

Really I would volunteer for the firing squad if it were some of my relations.

I am not saying the death penalty should be applied indiscriminately hell I am not even sure there should be a single offense where it should be mandatory but in the two cases I have mentioned I believe it should be mandatory and I really don't care whether the person is crazy or was molested by chickens as a kid there are no excuses to justify those actions and there is certainly no reason why these people will live out their lives receiving better care than most of our elderly and sick who have been productive members of society.

We have people in this country that have spent almost every minute of their youth in institutions and as soon as they were old enough were shipped off to prisons, they are habitual offenders and when released are re-offending sometimes on the day they are released they will never be of use to society nor will they ever be a productive human being all they have ever done is cause misery to the people around them and live off the nation at large and quite honestly I see no reason to keep these people around.

I don't care that they may have never committed a capital offense nor do I give a damn that they may just be misunderstood scamps they have out lived their usefulness.

If I were on the jury of a capital murder trial I would be terrified that I could be sending an innocent person to their death. I wonder how many jurors have found it difficult to live with themselves after sending an innocent person to their death. I wouldn't want that on my conscience, would you?
I don't think I would care as I doubt I would find someone guilty if I had doubts in the first place and in most cases a death penalty requires a unanimous decision.

Last edited:
I am not saying the death penalty should be applied indiscriminately hell I am not even sure there should be a single offense where it should be mandatory but in the two cases I have mentioned I believe it should be mandatory and I really don't care whether the person is crazy or was molested by chickens as a kid there are no excuses to justify those actions and there is certainly no reason why these people will live out their lives receiving better care than most of our elderly and sick who have been productive members of society.

I have to agree that prisoners get better treatment than the elderly, especially in UK. In fact illegal immigrants are better off then the elderly in UK.

We have people in this country that have spent almost every minute of their youth in institutions and as soon as they were old enough were shipped off to prisons, they are habitual offenders and when released are re-offending sometimes on the day they are released they will never be of use to society nor will they ever be a productive human being all they have ever done is cause misery to the people around them and live off the nation at large and quite honestly I see no reason to keep these people around.

I don't care that they may have never committed a capital offense nor do I give a damn that they may just be misunderstood scamps they have out lived their usefulness.

For such people I would suggest slave labour, let them break big rocks into little rocks for use on road surfaces. If they don't work they don't eat

I don't think I would care as I doubt I would find someone guilty if I had doubts in the first place and in most cases a death penalty requires a unanimous decision.

There were cases in UK a few years ago that a number men were sent down on the evidence of a so called police "expert." It was found years later that the man was talking absolute rubbish, his so called evidence had no basis in fact, the convictions were overturned. Now imagine if it was a capital murder case and someone had been put to death.

If I remember correctly the so called expert was from a Midlands constabulary. Perhaps CF remembers a bit more.

Back