Kurt Busch Becomes Honorary Deputy in Arizona

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and NASCAR driver #2-Kurt Busch are on better terms than they were a year ago, when Busch was involved in a highly publicized confrontation with Arpaio's deputies But it might be a stretch to call Arpaio and Busch friends. When Busch and his handlers showed up at Arpaio's office for a photo opportunity Thursday afternoon, Arpaio greeted him as "Kyle," the name of Busch's brother, who also races. "I'm not a racetrack guy," Arpaio said later. "I don't get involved in racing." Nevertheless, Arpaio was happy to declare Kurt Busch an honorary deputy one year after he was pulled over by deputies before the 2005 Checker Auto Parts 500. Busch is back in town for Sunday's Checker Auto Parts 500. Last fall, officers pulled Busch over about two miles from Phoenix International Raceway after catching him driving recklessly. He became combative when they tried to determine if Busch were intoxicated. The report said Busch eventually submitted to a preliminary sobriety test, registering a 0.017 blood-alcohol level. That fell far below Arizona's impairment limit of 0.08. Busch's Roush Racing employers kicked him out of his car for the final two races of the season. Busch was issued a misdemeanor citation for reckless driving. He plea-bargained the charges to a speeding ticket, paid a $580 fine and agreed to perform 50 hours of community service, including filming a safe-driving public service announcement. Thursday's appearance brought a brace of television cameras to Arpaio's office. "I wouldn't do this with everybody, quite frankly," Arpaio said, "Because everybody isn't as famous as he is. But because he's famous, he can get the message out. His word means something." Asked what he planned to do with the badge, Busch said, "I plan to put it up in the trophy room. It's something that's very special to me. It's a perfect memento to what's gone on the past year here in Phoenix."(in part from the Associated Press)

Back