Kursk? - Page 2

--

1 Week Ago  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Just to rekindle this thread:
The one problem in this whole process is that even had the Germans cut off the Russian armies in the bulge they could not have secured them within it and there were still significant Russian forces outside to counterattack what would have been a very weak encirclement.

The only hope for Citadel was to think big and attack further to the North and South of the bulge to bypass the defences and encompass reserve forces.
How I see it is; the only way for the Germans to turn Citadel into a victory is to launch a major offensive, but they couldn't. The realistic goal with Citadel would be to encircle the bulge and nothing more than that, but as you said. It had been a very weak one and major Russian forces had either retreated and counterattacked somewhere else. Didn't the Germans throughout the war underestimated the Russian forces.
1 Week Ago  
MontyB

One of the biggest problems for the Germans is that their intelligence gathering and analysis was never very good at any stage of the war, prior to Kursk German estimates of Russian manpower reserves was over three million short this I think encouraged them to believe that they were on the verge of bleeding the Russian army dry.
I am not convinced the soldiers (and officers) on the ground in Russia underestimated the Russian ability at any stage I think most of that was at political level.
1 Week Ago  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
One of the biggest problems for the Germans is that their intelligence gathering and analysis was never very good at any stage of the war, prior to Kursk German estimates of Russian manpower reserves was over three million short this I think encouraged them to believe that they were on the verge of bleeding the Russian army dry.
I am not convinced the soldiers (and officers) on the ground in Russia underestimated the Russian ability at any stage I think most of that was at political level.
I remember I read something supporting your view. When Gelhlen, reported the strength of the Russians. Hitler got one of his tantrums and considered the Gelhlen's report as fake, silly and said probably some other unflattering words about Gelhen's competence as an intelligence officer
--
1 Week Ago  
MontyB

Another point that keeps being raised is German pessimism about the delay of the offensive but according to Glantz that pessimism only arose after the battle and was more of an excuse for failure rather than a reason.