Kurdistan as a state? - Page 4

--

December 9th, 2005  
TBA_PAKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I'm not sure Kurdistan can even be described geographically as much as demographically. Kurds are clustered in areas of Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Armenia, and Syria. I think the population, assuming there could be a reasonably accurate count, is around 40 million people. The areas of each country they currently occupy would be an area the size of Texas carved out of mostly Iraq and Iran. I don't think the US and allies have enough diplomatic or cash capital left for a border war with from three to five countries and the Middle East will most certainly balk at any hint of moving borders. Bad idea, at least in this millenium.
I agree with this point completely.

Granting Kurds independance might fuel a large-scale civil war in Middle East. Turkey will definately oppose this move and others might react badly to this decision as well.

I doubt that any Middle Eastern nation would accept this.

And if IRAQ devides, then US might loose a large chunck of its influence in Middle East as well.
December 9th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Missiler has got it right.

It would be great for the Kurds since a federalized Iraq is really as much of a hinderance as a help. But the big problem is that it spells doom for US interests in the area for a wide number of reasons some of which Missiler pointed out.
December 9th, 2005  
Warwick

No matter what we all think, the Kurds want their own state and will fight for it.
I was amazed at the amount of military equipment they have been aquiring/finding since the fall of Saddam.
I think since they haven't been very well treated by anybody they are not going to be quick about grasping the hand of friendship especially the USA.
I understand Turkeys fears, they are justified. But, the Kurds are ammassing the power they feel they need to support their aims.
And why not their own independance. Isn't that part of spreading the freedom that this war is about.
Given the right motives I am sure with time the Kurds will be allies against the fight against terrorism. They too have suffered greatly.
Plus, the ones I have met seem genuine enough. Compared to other Arabs anyway.
--
December 13th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Do the Kurds deserve or need a homeland of their own? Yes. They've been horribly mistreated by the Turks farther back in history, and by the Iraqi's more recently. They are a distinct ethnic group and really ought to have a homeland of their own.

Is it possible? Unlikely. Turkey, Iraq and Iran would all likely have to give up some of their own territory to allow "Kurdistan" to be born. None of those nations are willing to do so and all are very outspoken against any talk of a Kurdish homeland.

Is it a good idea? Idealistically, yes its a lovely dream. Realisticly, its a terrible idea because of all the hostility it would create in the region.
December 13th, 2005  
Chief Bones

Topic: No bets

I wouldn't put money on the outcome of this question either for or against.

The Kurds WILL be DAMNED either way they go.

If they go along with the Iraqi proposals, they will have to give up some autonomy and compromise with the rest of the groups in Iraq.

If they oppose any compromise and try to force a homeland on the region, they WILL cause an uprising they CAN NOT possibly win.

The ONLY compromise which could be a win win for the Kurds, would be a compromise where they are allowed to have control over the portion of Iraq where their group is in the majority.

It's either compromise or war - there are no other options.
December 16th, 2005  
jackehammond

Dear Member,

The answer is simple: WAR! Turkey would go to war even with the US in the area. That is why the US is not taking the Kurds up on building an huge airbase in that region. The US government fully understands that while they act as friends they are not. They are not our enemies either. They just want to use the US to get a Kurdish nation. And that nation would be used as a sancturary against Turkey and Iran both. And more important that nation would have no air or land links to the outside world.

Jack E. Hammond
December 17th, 2005  
Warwick

So jakehammond it would apear the poor buggers are doomed once again.
History may repeat itself once again for the Kurds, or they will fight.
December 17th, 2005  
bulldogg

Warwick I think they will fight. This might be viewed by their people as a window of opportunity. Granted this view is quite biased as it is how I would think of this time were I a Kurd knowing what I do of their history. Strike while the iron is hot and all that.
December 17th, 2005  
Rabs

Quote:
they are not going to be quick about grasping the hand of friendship especially the USA.
They already have, the Kurds love us. They are easily our best allies inside of Iraq.
December 18th, 2005  
TBA_PAKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
They, already have the Kurds love us. There easily our best allies inside of Iraq.
Very True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Warwick I think they will fight. This might be viewed by their people as a window of opportunity. Granted this view is quite biased as it is how I would think of this time were I a Kurd knowing what I do of their history. Strike while the iron is hot and all that.
Probably the Kurds in Iraq will fight if invaded by Turkish troops but this fight might erupt in to a show-down between US forces (aiding Kurds in Iraq) and Turkish troops?