Krav Maga and Ninjutsu

Since so many of you guys are knowledgeable about fighting styles, I've been wondering about something. Would you say that Krav Maga is a good thing for a woman to know? I'm not talking about female soldiers, but those of us who walk around unarmed 24/7. For us, attacks are always up close and personal when some knuckle-dragger decides he has the right to put his hands on us. Is KM a viable means of self-defense for the average woman?

Krav Maga is a good one, you could also look into Aikido. Both of these (with a good, solid instructor) are beneficial to women. It will probably be easier for you to find a reputable Aikido instructor in the US as opposed to a Krav Maga one. Also, if you're in the Boston area check out this. Pretty good down and dirty self defense tactics that work really well for females.

I have to echo Redleg and KJ on this topic.

As for Krav Maga itself, there's really three different styles. The US dojo style, "commando" style and the there is actual Krav Maga that focuses on tactics and techniques. The first two I wouldn't give a dollar for, but if you can find the real deal, non-commercial version, it is an excellent art.

For me, and this is just my personal opinion, Krav Maga, for military applications, is the best I've tried.

Like with any art though, the instructor can make or break it.

I think I'll give KM a try if I can find it.

I've been getting really active in the Army Combatives program (level 3 certified) and have started rolling in Brazilian Jiu jitsu for the last six months.

Of course, I understand in combat most of that stuff is going to go out the window, and from personal experiece, in a hand to hand situation you would use whatever was at hand. From the sound of it that's exactly what KM is.

I've also looked into Judo, and plan to find a place that teaches that trade whenever I get settled into a duty station.

Back