Kosovo Force

--

July 24th, 2004  
Sapper

Topic: Kosovo Force

Hi again!

Back from the summer exercises, I've been told that my unit is going to be deployed in Kosovo as part of the KFOR. I'm curious if somebody out there has been already in Kosovo. I've been told that the region and the mission is rather similar to Bosnia-Herzegovina's SFOR (been there, done that). Any KFOR veteran out there?
July 25th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

I was there from FEB 00 - SEP 00. I was at Camp Bondsteel, Vitina, Mogila, and Verbovac... basically the southern most part of Kosovo.

What would you like to know?
July 27th, 2004  
MyStIC

yeah.........its not much diferent i guess,but behold of creaqzy albanians with AK's!!!yeah u better should
--
July 27th, 2004  
AlexKall

I think it would be a good idea to watch anyone with a AK!
July 27th, 2004  
sgtbreeden

I was in the same areas in 2000 vrbovack vitina bondsteele and also mijack (we took that one over while i was there so i don't know if you heard about it. i was with task force falcon. Thats back in the 82nd airborne days.
July 28th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Hey sgtbreeden,

Were you replaced by units from the 101st? My platoon replaced a unit from the 82nd at the church in Vrbovak.
July 28th, 2004  
Redleg

I haven't served in Kosovo, but I've been several months in Bosnia and Macedonia, so from what I've seen and heard KFOR is pretty similar to SFOR...

When are you going to be deployed?
July 28th, 2004  
sgtbreeden

that would be my old unit doody. 1-325th bravo campany. small world huh?
July 28th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

indeed...did you ever guard the church in Vrbovak? I believe you all named it the rat's nest. The place definately lived up to its reputation. I never thought hunting mice would become entertaining. The joys of peace keeping.
July 30th, 2004  
sgtbreeden

Yeah many times. We did 24 hour squad rotations there. Our company commander put out bounties on the rats. The squad that caught the most got an extra day refit at camp bondsteele. You know the hole you slept in there is the morgue. I didn't do much sleeping there by the way. mogila however was also a morgue but it wasn't rat infested. I enjoyed our rotations up there. I know it sounds like we rotated a lot but it kept the Soldiers from getting complacent.

So what was your favorite part of KFOR??
Mine was definitely CAS and the R&R trip to Bulgaria. I might still be on the wall at the MWR there I won the dart tourney when we were waiting to leave that God forsaken country. Despite how much I talk bad about the place I will have to say it was a very fun deployment.