Korea's new K-21 IFV

Shadowalker

Hi, Korea has been manufacturing a lot more equipment itself rather than relying on american made products and its new IFV is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVefRe58Uvs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K21
http://dfn.dnmediagroup.com/story.php?F=2869055&C=landwar

and several other korean made products look to be attracting buyers around the world
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=2882876&C=top100

The K21 looks to me a good vehicles but my concern would be with the inflatable pontoons being a weak point especially if they got hit whilst the vehicle was crossing a river etc.

Well, if you're taking fire from the enemy, that would be a lousy time to cross a river.
South Korea's tech has really taken leaps and bounds. They're capable of producing some real good stuff over there and are learning to apply them to aerospace and land defense systems. Really is long overdue. Too many units there are armed with equipment a generation or two too old.

What do you think the chances of it being exported are? There seems to be a trend for wheeled IFVs now but would some countries such as turkey which is buying lots of South Korean made tech look at buying it? In one of the articles it states that the cost is less than the Bradley and Puma, but does not say how the CV90 compares as those vehicles are propably its main tracked rivals in securing export orders.

"Oh I know what the ladies like" -Sergeant A.J. Johnson , Halo 2

Just thought I would leave a few words of wisdom...

Grinding treads, whether effective in combat or not, are just cool. If South Korea has a new armored tool of destruction then let them go at it. Remember they are still kinda in a state of war. So, if any border crossing was done, this fine new piece of metal, with the training of the South Korean armed forces, will put a hurting on allot a bad guys.

Speaking in a simplistic tone.

Sukio, I do believe that I spent 2 years closer to North Korea than the rest of South Korea as a Marine so yes, I think I know the situation pretty well. Heck, that island is so close to North Korea that the local accent is more North Korean than South Korean.
I think it'll be a nice machine. Like I said, South Korea's level of tech is pretty good and they've got some good experience with initially copying American hardware.

Sorry if I offended you, and please by all means correct me if I am wrong, on any thread. I want to learn from other's experiences not justify my own perceptions.

Well anyway, they are learning from one of the best. It makes perfect sense to want to almost copy gear that is of high quality. But I do see the kind of reception some will take.

Last edited:
That thing up there is probably not a copy. The latest equipment isn't. Comes from actual R&D. The previous generation of equipment, other than the K-1 and K-2 rifles, were mostly clones of some sort.
Nothing gotta do with offend or not, but you gotta get it right.

Cost

I can't seem to find it but how does it compared to a BMP-3 in cost? Did South Korea like there BMP-3?

I know South Korea's got a few but I don't think there's a whole lot of it around and with South Korean made and designed APCs on the way, I think the BMP-3 will probably be something the Russians gave to settle old debts.

I do find myself with one question, how is this new piece on the battle field supposed to operate. I mean the South Korean K 21 IFV. I mean worst case sceneario. It hits the fan on a conventianal scale. What role does this vehicle play in the fight?

Probably reconaissance. Basically do what the M-2/M-3s were designed to do.
The lighter armor is unfortunately necessary because there are so many mountains and mountain roads in Korea. Also with a troop capacity of 9 it can deliver troops properly.

I know South Korea's got a few but I don't think there's a whole lot of it around and with South Korean made and designed APCs on the way, I think the BMP-3 will probably be something the Russians gave to settle old debts.

ROK is sitting with a Battalion size force of BMP-3 IFVs, and yes you are correct that they were given to ROK along with a sizable handout of T80U MBTs to settle debt. These units are stationed up north and are most likely there to rub it in the Norths face and also used for OPFOR purposes.

Alright any more details would be a violation of OPSEC.

I will be careful on what information that I put out, I have a few tours under my belt with the land of the morning calm and I would never jeapordize or state anything to give the North or China any type of information. Hopefully things can be resolved peacefully but with the Norths new trump card Kim will continue to play his games.

Just doing our part. Not like it'll make a difference. Both Koreas will be speaking Chinese twenty years down the line.

Back