Korea's alliance to the US in relation to China

--
Boots

December 15th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Topic: Korea's alliance to the US in relation to China

Okay well this subject was brought up in another debate in the History section of the forum.

So I was going to say, if we must water it down, the South Korean alliance with the US is very important, maybe more than ever now, because of the great advances in Chinese power on all fronts. Now if you wonder why I don't believe China is a very nice neighbor, all you have to do is read around the forum and read the stuff that a lot of Chinese posters have written. That's a pretty good reflection of the attitude I've seen in a lot of other Chinese I've met, while somehow thinking they're the benevolent alternative to the United States.
Sure, things between South Korea and the US do get bad now and then... especially now, but that's just the nature of any alliance.
The best way of course is being good enough to not need any ally. But if you must choose one between the US and China, the US is a pretty easy choice.
December 15th, 2004  
Big_Z

Like i've said before I know a SK born American soldier who was stationed in SK and he did not like it. He said they have a total lack of respect for the US and have forgotten how we came to their aid. That being said I have no problem with SK and they seem to have a squared away military.
December 15th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Most S.Koreans are extremly anti-USA.

And their politicians and people are now getting more and more fond with PRC these days. 70,000 S.Korean students are studying in China every year they are the No1 foreign students resource in PRC.
--
Boots
December 15th, 2004  
Big_Z

Sorry I was rambling and didn't answer your question. Yes our alliance is very important, like japan you give the US quick access incase something breaks out in Asia.
December 16th, 2004  
Darcia

Well it keeps um from being Invaded by either North Korea or China so I say yes.
December 16th, 2004  
ChineseCanadian

i got a question here?!!

is alliing urself with another super power considered betraying ur country?

answer
December 16th, 2004  
Big_Z

What?
December 16th, 2004  
DarkSmari

YES, Japan will take over korea again
December 16th, 2004  
ChineseCanadian

like ally with U.S, is that an act of betryal? seems many koreans think that way

and japanese guy, be quiet
December 16th, 2004  
A Can of Man

THis is stupid. And obviously Dark Samurai is a sock.
Anyways... the whole thing with the US is it's largely divided. Conservatives prefer alliance with the US, the ones more on the left want out. People over the age of 35 are usually in favor of the Americans and the young generation are in favor of moving away.
So in being more pro-American, I'm simply voicing the opinion of those who are largely past the going out in the streets age. Being in my 20's and having their opinion makes me a minority in my age group.
A big factor in this shift might have to do with the large numbers of Korean students who go to study in China. No doubt they will buy in to a lot of the Chinese views on many subjects. Plus the fact that there are no Chinese troops in South Korea adds to it. Young people who only have a limited time off before duty in a rather mundane environment (as many guys would see it) would try to make the best of their leave time. That means trouble. The US image suffers every time a GI goes out of control. The Chinese don't have this handicap.
The Koreans who are old enough to remember how bad things were in Korea back in the 50s, 60s and early 70s tend to back the Americans because their gratitude is still there. Me, I take their words over the words of some aspiring politician who will do anything to get into some kind of office.
I believe a Korea-US alliance will continue to be beneficial to both sides and even when things go bad, it is important that this alliance is not cut off.
And of course, when I consider this, I have the best interests of South Korea first in mind.