Korea's alliance to the US in relation to China - Page 5

--
Boots

December 18th, 2004  
PLAbuddy

yeah, 13_redneck, and read my post too, not just FLying frog's
December 18th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The Cultural Revolution was the rejection of everything traditional because China had just come out of a stage where the traditions had let them down and had led them into defeat against the Western Powers and before the Americans fought them, the Japanese.
It wouldn't be the first time people burned or banned books about things. It's happened in many places on many occasions. Confucianism was one of those things that were most frowned upon.
Mao realized the error in this but by then a lot of things had been trashed. They didn't come to Korea just to exchange, they came to re-learn, just as Korean scholars throughout the centuries went to China to learn.
Nowadays you shouldn't have any problems, but it wasn't always that way.
I never said that most of South Korea agrees with me. In fact I think especially in my age group, I am very much a minority. My view tends to have more in common with those who are in their 40's and older. You know, the generation that got it right. The ones that won our respect back in Vietnam and built a destroyed country into a developed one.
December 18th, 2004  
PLAbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
The Cultural Revolution was the rejection of everything traditional because China had just come out of a stage where the traditions had let them down and had led them into defeat against the Western Powers and before the Americans fought them, the Japanese.
It wouldn't be the first time people burned or banned books about things. It's happened in many places on many occasions. Confucianism was one of those things that were most frowned upon.
Mao realized the error in this but by then a lot of things had been trashed. They didn't come to Korea just to exchange, they came to re-learn, just as Korean scholars throughout the centuries went to China to learn.
Nowadays you shouldn't have any problems, but it wasn't always that way.
I never said that most of South Korea agrees with me. In fact I think especially in my age group, I am very much a minority. My view tends to have more in common with those who are in their 40's and older. You know, the generation that got it right. The ones that won our respect back in Vietnam and built a destroyed country into a developed one.
when did they burn confusican books? why do we have to relearn confuciasm, for 2000 years, countless books about confucism have been written by chinese scholars...i habve't heard anything about burning confucism books..
by the way, i dont think koreans truly understand confucism..since they dont even use Chinese lauguage...if u dont know chinese language, how can u truly understand confucism, which is a core part of chinese culture,

i really doubt that a country with 9.6 million squre kilo-meter of land, 1.3 billion of ppl have to study their own culture from a small neighbouring country which doesn't even speak chinese
--
Boots
December 18th, 2004  
A Can of Man

You are mistaken. Campaigns on rejecting the past was far reaching. Those who didn't burn the books had to hide them as they were forbidden text. It was some wild times. Don't you know that some homes had entire rooms stacked with old newspapers because they were afraid they'd be dragged away and punished for throwing out any copy that had the picture of the Chairman on them?
It doesn't take a long time for people to forget things.

Koreans not speaking Chinese? Most Koreans know the Chinese characters. That is all that's required to understand the works by Confucius because every character means the same thing. Not to mention, the scholar class of Koreans usually have a good understanding of the Chinese (Mandarin) language.
December 18th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Burning Confucius books?

Oh well, like there are 10 million Confucius books at that time, some Red Guards burnt some 10,000 Confucius books, then you "think" China burnt down ALL Confucius books lol
December 18th, 2004  
PLAbuddy

lol...i think u truly misunderstood the part in cultural revultion agasint the confucism..

it is early the end part of cultural revolution, after Lin Biao died..it was called Critizie Lin and Critize Confucious, it was a part of Eliminating four bad old traditions stuff...
from my first-hand infomation in china (i asked my grandparents, my parents , my numerous uncles, my neighbours, my teachers, my friends' parents, i read newspapers, read books about that part either printed for public (propaganda) or for inner memember (NEi Bu Can Kao), which is distributed to the divisional level of officers, manager level in national enterprises and district level in government officials) i read all those about this part

from wut i know, ppl in critisizing confucious were half-hearted , most of them have never truly go over the fundemental parts of COnfusious texts before, (i bet a lot koreans do), wut they dont know is that wut they do everyday is actually already a part of Confucism, it is a 2000 years tradtion in china, the sole teaching for 2000 YEARS.....
there has not been a mass buring of books and stuff...
the part of critizing confucious has been lasting for not even years..then it fades away in 1976, and everything backs to normal..
we didn't lose anything we have been concluded from confuciusm for 2000years and i dont think koreans learn confuciusm that long..

and koreans do not live like they have been ruled by confucism for 2000 years.....

hell, why do we need to learn sometrhing we do everyday from Koreans??

man, u r reallly bragging now
December 18th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

PRC guys, you might want to stop trashing 13th_Redneck. Are you somehow not understanding why he's not exactly pro-Chinese?? Gee, try not belitting him over and again and we might be able to talk about it.
December 18th, 2004  
A Can of Man

No, but certainly the main scholars had to either burn or hide them. The other copies hidden in fear of reprimand. Plus I don't think we can really consider numbers that came from that era of China to be reliable. After all they were producing record grain harvests when they were suffering from famine right?

And PLA Buddy, you can learn from everyone. Even groups as the Bushmen of the Kalahari desert have unique skills and knowledge that we can learn from. Everyone has something to offer. The day you believe you have nothing to learn from them, you are sealing your own fate.
December 18th, 2004  
PLAbuddy

he starts it and he continues it, so i will just continue to reason with him,
he gives a lot good ideas and i didn't trash it

by the way, when u talk, u talk about this subject, not other non-related stuff
December 18th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Anyways, this is the hostility that makes me reason that South Korea must stay away from any alliance with the Chinese whether formal or informal and continue good relations with the United States.