Korea's alliance to the US in relation to China - Page 3

--
Boots

December 17th, 2004  
Big_Z

"There is plenty of talk on your side. What sort of action do you think you're taking by posting in this forum? Nada. It's talk."

EXACTLY.

What does China know about action? You have been sitting on the tiawan issue for what, 40+ years now?

Sorry admins but I couldnt help myself.
December 17th, 2004  
DTop

Stick to the topic and not the personal flaming.
Once again, make use of the exclamation point in the top right of every post to point out inappropriate posts. We'll handle them.
December 17th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

It's interesting how China tends to take extreme pleasure in anything that diminishes the USA's role in the world. Why is that??

China needs to drop the claim to Korean territory -- its never going to lead to good relations. For whatever flaws may exist, I've never heard of the South Koreans pushing for a direct switch from the USA to China as their primary military ally. It sounds like the younger generation is just pushing to distance themselves from the USA. That doesn't mean they've got any love for China, does it?
--
Boots
December 17th, 2004  
A Can of Man

A lot of Koreans go to China for university because it's easier to get into than Korean universities (though Korean universities aren't neccessarily better... just hard to get into) and they're much cheaper than American universities. Also becuase most Koreans know Chinese characters anyways, learning Chinese is much easier than learning English. So it becomes a logical choice.

After years of studying there... they do come back with influence. Add that with anti-American sentiment and it gets pretty serious. So we get lots of Pro-Chinese Koreans.
December 17th, 2004  
CABAL

I quite agree. Whenever a student visit a foreign country's institutions or basically visit the country, it's highly possible that the student will support the country on a certain degree. However, that does not apply to all students. Sometimes they can be neutral.

However, you made a point about Anti-American sentiment in Chinese Universities. I quite don't agree. The professors in several Universities relating to foreign relations and affairs are rational and very very logical.

And one more thing, just to remind you that there is difference between the government and the people. Just don't mix these two around like you often did in previous posts the_13th_redneck .
December 17th, 2004  
Archit

It has nothing to do with China if South Korea wannar strengthen its alliance with USA.

But it is too bad if South Korea take China as its enemy and take this as the reason to strenthen the relation with USA. I should say,it is a Cold War Thought!
December 17th, 2004  
A Can of Man

No you misunderstood.
News etc. whatever they get in China will obviously be in China's perspective. I don't mean they get anti-Americanism from their professors, rather their peers when they RETURN to Korea during the holidays. You add that Anti-Americanism they get with their peers in Korea and add that to their educational and life experiences in China (after all, college is the best 4 years of your life right? ... well it's supposed to be) and you have pro-Chinese Koreans.
That's what I meant. Not a brainwash campaign on the side of the Chinese to convert as many Koreans as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal
I quite agree. Whenever a student visit a foreign country's institutions or basically visit the country, it's highly possible that the student will support the country on a certain degree. However, that does not apply to all students. Sometimes they can be neutral.

However, you made a point about Anti-American sentiment in Chinese Universities. I quite don't agree. The professors in several Universities relating to foreign relations and affairs are rational and very very logical.

And one more thing, just to remind you that there is difference between the government and the people. Just don't mix these two around like you often did in previous posts the_13th_redneck .
December 17th, 2004  
CABAL

Because of the People's Republic of China's military buildup that started during the 1950's, the neigbhoring nation's response are not today's headlines. So in this case, I quite agree on your views that this is still a Cold War Perception.
December 17th, 2004  
A Can of Man

One thing you have to understand is that in East Asia, the Cold War was to a certain extent, preserved. Mostly due to North Korea, and also in large part to China's rise in power. Now the attitude on Chinese power within Korea could heavily influence whether or not China's influence is held in this area or if this could be a big win for China in winning allies while possibly marketing itself as a "USA alternative."
December 17th, 2004  
Archit

It is a bad,stupid thing to S.Korea if it take China as its enemy!