Korean War: "Home Town News Center"

pgwenthold

Is anyone familiar with the "Home Town News Center" that was created during the Korean War? According to this website

http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/topics/homefront/p_home_town_news_center.htm

it was created to basically coordinate press releases about soldiers for their home town media.

I found a press release that looks to have been written by them in my dad's letters home, but it's not clear if it is original or not. Regardless, I'm not sure what all of the notation means so could use some help.

Never heard of them myself but if there is something specifically you need translated I am sure we can assist.

Never heard of them myself but if there is something specifically you need translated I am sure we can assist.

Maybe

Army Home Town News Center Kansas City, Mo
25-1-8 53 Aug 26 (Editor Mother not listed)
With the 25th Div. Infantry in Korea Army Sgt. Francis J. Wenthold son of Henry Wenthold Ossian Iowa is now undergoing post-truce training with the 25th Infantry Div. in Korea.
Wenthold a squad leader in Co. H. of the 27 Inf. Reg. has been in Korea since last Oct. The 25th Tropic Lightening Div. is constantly working to maintain and improve the high level of combat readiness which it displayed throughout the Korean conflict.
Veteran of more months of combat than any other American Div. in Korea the 25th landed on the Peninsula in July 1950 shortly after the Communists crossed the 38th parallel. Since that time it never left the combat zone.
25-1-6

What's the 25-1-8 and 25-1-6? I'm guessing the 25 refers to the 25th division, but don't know about the other numbers

Maybe

What's the 25-1-8 and 25-1-6? I'm guessing the 25 refers to the 25th division, but don't know about the other numbers

I would guess the two other numbers are the regiment and the latter numbers are the battalions.

so the 25-1-8 could be 25th division, the 1st regiment, the 8th battalion, but I am only speculating

I would guess the two other numbers are the regiment and the latter numbers are the battalions.

so the 25-1-8 could be 25th division, the 1st regiment, the 8th battalion, but I am only speculating

I thought about that, but that would not explain why there are two different tags in the same release. That's why I wonder if it is just some sort of media-related notation.

Back