Korean troops in Vietnam stories and analysis

YManchun

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/Vietnam/allied/ch06.htm#b4

Later in 1968 a Korean 9th Division operation titled BAEK Ma 9 commenced on 11 October and ended on 4 November with 382 enemy soldiers killed and the North Vietnamese 7th Battalion, 18th Regiment, rendered ineffective. During this operation, on 25 October, the eighteenth anniversary of the division, 204 of the enemy were killed without the loss of a single Korean soldier.

Generally Korean large-scale operations during 1969 were of regimental size or less, of brief duration, and with a specific target. One significant operation of this kind was Dong Bo 7, carried out near Cam Ranh from 9 to 11 May 1969. Soldiers of the 2d Battalion, 30th Regiment, 9th (White Horse) Division were airlifted onto Tao Mountain, a base for units of the 5th North Vietnam Army Division, and searched the caves and trenches on the mountain. Wizen the operation ended, 155 enemy soldiers had been killed while the Koreans had three killed and one wounded.

http://www.talkingproud.us/International061406.html

The approximately 300 11-3 ROK Marines at the village of Tra Binh Dong in the Chu Lai region were attacked by about 1,500 man NVA regiment on February 14, 1967 (we have also seen a figure of about 2,400 NVA). The Marines were attacked in two directions and the enemy managed to breach the perimeter defenses. SSgt Bae Jang Choon and his first squad, 3rd platoon, rather than abandoning their position, fought with bullets, then grenades, then entrenching tools, pick axes, and finally fists. Pfc Kim Myong Deok killed 10 enemy with his rifle as the enemy advanced on him. Sgt Lee Hak Won took hand grenades in both hands, waited for the enemy to approach, and at the very last moment, threw himself and the grenades on the advancing enemy killing himself and four NVA. Pfc Lee Young Bok lured the enemy to his position, slipped into a spider hole, then released several grenades as the enemy entered the trench.

Second Lt. Shin Won Bae, the 1st platoon commander, and his platoon sergeant, Gunny Sergeant Kim Yong Kil, gathered a force together to destroy an enemy mortar position. When they approached within 20 meters of the target, they threw grenades and advanced, threw more grenades and advanced, and kept doing so until they reached the objective and took the mortar tubes with them back to their own positions, leaving the dead enemy behind.

The NVA attacked with flame throwers, and the Koreans moved toward the flames, firing machine-guns and throwing grenades, killed the enemy and took the flame throwers.

I'll post more when I find more time.

I have respect for our elite troops; Special Forces, Marines, and Airborne. A salute to you.

I was in the ROK Young Marine Scouts for a bit. I didn't do much because of my hectic schedule.

http://www.dpg.devry.edu/~akim/sck/vietnam2.htm

From 1967 to 1970, there was a Japanese reporter named
Katsuichi Honda visited Vietnam and reported the war through the
Asian eyes. He wrote a book about it, it's title is "Vietnam War
- A Report Through Asian Eyes". He had anti-vietnam war views,
so therefore, not certainly partial to ROK in Vietnam. He
discovered that many of the stories concerning ROK atrocities
were rumours based on Vietnamese's fear of the unknown ROK,
jealousy, and communist propaganda. He himself checked out the
stories by visiting the villages of where it was supposed to
happened but found that they never happened. He also discovered
that the farther the distance from the ROK tactical area of
operation, the reputation got worse.

Among the some 20,000 sq miles that ROK controlled, Honda by
interviewing locals found out that ROK's were much more popular
than the Americans and government forces. ROK had total control
of their sector providing first rate security for the Vietnamese
at the same time helping the locals with rice plantation,
building of schools, temples, and houses. Americans on the other
hand, had a reputation among the Vietnamese as treating them
with disdain and were often beaten by the communists, although
they were good source of income for the Vietnamese. The conduct
and performance of S.Vietnamese government troops were even much
worse. Honda basically praised the ROK troops as by far the best
Allied troop in everyway including, the way they treated the
civilians and their extraordinary military performances.

As for the captured documents showing the Viet Cong fear of the
ROK, in 1966, a detachment of the U.S. Calvary Division in Bin
Dhin province captured a Viet Cong who carried a document
ordering all Viet Congs to avoid military contact with the
Koreans unless the victory was 100% certain. This was
corroborrated by a young British photographer Tim Page in the
NY. Times article and also his book, Vietnam.

Gold praises from retired Colonel David H. Hackworth. Who is a FREAKING WAR HERO.

http://www.couplescompany.com/FEATURES/Frontlines/Hack/Flunking.htm

coupled with “more sweat” training similar to the tough curriculum that converted the South Korean army from rabble into an elite force.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38013

Today's gold standard in this type of exercise is the U.S. Army's molding of the South Korean army, which pound for mean pound has become one of the best-trained and disciplined armies in the world.

Colonel David H. Hackworth's qualifications:

http://www.hackworth.com/

Eight Purple Hearts. Ten Silver Stars. Twice awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. And now a virtual shoe-in for the Medal of Honor. You name the honor, Colonel David Hackworth got it.

Col. David H. Hackworth, the United States Army's legendary, highly decorated guerrilla fighter and lifelong champion of the doughboy and dogface, ground-pounder and grunt

Col. Hackworth’s battlefield exploits put him on the line of American military heroes squarely next to Sgt. Alvin York and Audie Murphy.

Over the next 26 years he spent fully seven in combat. He was put in for the Medal of Honor three times; the last application is currently under review at the Pentagon. He was twice awarded the Army’s second highest honor for valor

Here's a story about a ROK Army division, not ROK Marines. But its still a great story.

http://thebattleofkontum.com/stars/103.html

He had found the enemy -now they found him. Rocket-propelled grenades tore into the sandbags and they toppled in a heave of dirt. To infantrymen of many countries, it would have been time to move out briskly -find something larger and more solid. Not to Hong; he had been taught at the Non San Training Camp in Seoul that a soldier held his position or died in it. Professional reflex told him to hit the prone and keep firing. He did.

The French lost it in their Indochina War -and the rusted wrecks of the 100th Mobile Group were cleared only a few years ago.

Not this time. The ROKs rewrote history. The pass held in a piecemeal, meat-grinder battle that lasted for 16 days and according to ROK figures, resulted in 705 North Vietnamese killed and 41 of their own.

Nothing was cheap or easy. Gen. Chang Duk Man, the division commander, told newsmen that 13 ROK companies were committed in the battle. They had occupied only one knob on the hill and had to make a tortuous advance over a long saddle to take another rise seized by the North Vietnamese who must have been elite -many sported green berets.

I didn't serve in the military...yet. The closest thing to military I've been was being an officer cadet (two-years of Military Science and Leadership).

I have a load of respect for ROK Marines, but the branch is not for me. I want to be in the ROK Army. There really isn't any logical reason why I want to be an Army soldier, the branch just appeals to me better, a another reason is its a childhood dream I want to fullfill (I grew up dreaming about being a soldier, without not knowing what the Marines are).

I don't want to reveal too much about myself. One of things I like about forums is the anonymity.

It doesn't matter dude. Just join the Army instead. The country is starving the Marine Corps to death. We got no funding, no supplies, no support of any kind at the scale we need.
A few months ago we were able to get ONE spot to send for repairs one K-3 SAW, while our battallion alone has almost a hundred of them. And guess what? That weapon is STILL not back.
And the recruits coming in these days are for the most part, real crap. I have no idea where they are digging these kids up from. If you said you were going to join the RoK Marines I would have advised you not to because it's on its way out. We're not what we used to be. Even compared to 1 year ago the difference is huge.
It appears South Korea's decided it doesn't need Marines anymore. So for me when I get out of the service in June I don't see the need for me to remain in Korea anymore.

The military has never been a highly repected organization in Korea since Joseon period. I can see some of the attitudes that brought down the previous dynasty is surfacing up again.

Its real embarrassing when the cultural mindset that brought us to our current predictament is once again on rise. You think our people would have learned from history, but we haven't. I call this stupidity.

If we can't find a way to respect our own military. Than we should start importing cultural attitudes from other cultures, especially Turkey.

To be fair though, some expats in Korea are equally stupid.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=22695&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=240

What evidence do you have to support this? Here, I'll help you. I'll give you some images (of the powerful Korean marines in action) and you can say that they are Japanese soldiers picking on freedom-loving Koreans.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=76011&start=45

The Korean Marines in Viet Nam were first rate troops. As an American friend who served with the US Marines in Viet Nam said they were some of the toughest people he had ever met.

its easy to see this when you look at them giving out girly screams of joy when playing starcraft.

The country isn't what it used to be.
The current generation? I loathe them. They're some of the vainest people on earth.
Also be advised that a lot of these guys don't care what the truth is and they just enjoy pissing people off by poking at their soft spots. You don't have to post up charts and stuff. You just have to find them and kick their asses :)

YManchun, thanks for all the links. Try not to judge all the expats by Dave's ESL cafe... its been my experience that a few of the expats are :cen:heads in your country but almost ALL the expats on Dave's are :cen:heads.

!3th the softer the country gets the more they need hardcore mother:cen:ers like you to protect them. They may not appreciate it now but they still need you.

Thanks Bulldogg but like other people like myself there's only one thing for us to do here: leave.
Everyone who can leave is now packing up and leaving. Most of the old guard who want to stay are those who have been here too long to give up and need the wage and have no chance outside (NCO... No Chance Outside haha). Since our country doesn't need people like us anymore, we'll have to find either another line of work or another place that does.
Whenever there's some magazine article or something about the future of our armed forces, we see the Marine Corps is absent from it. There's rumor going around that we'll just be incorporated into the Navy (Navy uniforms and all).

Last edited:
I flew the C-130 in Viet Nam and one day we were assigned a ROK loadmaster. Our loadmaster basically sat back that day and let our Korean take charge of the cargo compartment and loading the Herk.

We were loading dead and wounded South Vietnamese troops out of Hue/Phu Bai and our ROK was fully incharge of the situation. You always get some character that approaches every member of the aircrew with a sob story of how he needs to get back to Saigon and begs for help.

This character got in line with the wounded and attempted to sneak on the airplane. Our ROK checked his paperwork and then directed the little slime ball out of the loading que. While we were finishing the load this little slime attempted to crawl up thru a paratroop door when he found a swift boot planted with just a bit of effort in his chest.

If I ever run into this ROK again, the OB is on me.:bravo:

Back