Korea

OORAH

Is north korea really a threat to the US? Just because they have nuclear weapons, at this time, they dont have anything that can get them far enough to cause us any trouble. Let me know what you think

North Korea has a huge standing army, it has medium range ballistic missiles, and is developing a nuclear capability. Now it can it hit Japan with these missiles, and all of South Korea, it would be one thing if the country North Korea did not have a basket case in charge, but they do. So do you think that this makes for a stable out look in this area.

The whole situation is a stalemate, really - it is a cold war scenario.

North Korean ground forces, approx 1 million soldiers, are composed of nearly 170 divisions and brigades. From their current locations these forces can attack with minimal preparations. A surprise attack on South Korea is possible at any time without a prior redeployment of its units.

A real threat to the region but do they dare pull the trigger?

There are also over 30,000 US troops in SK. I think if they were jeopardized, the amount of NK troops would have to be quickly neutralized.

Thats quite a feat. A 1 million man army is not small threat. I think they pose a greater threat politcally rather than militarily.

It is quite amazing facts that most of the NK artillery pieces, mostly 155 mm but also some quantities of 255mm are within reach of Seoul from their strategic outposts. This means that if the NK are about to invade the south the entire region of Seoul would be under intense artillery fire making devastating effect on the political situation.

Another interesting fact is that even though the NK have 1 million men their equipment is sadly outdated - most armor units are from the late 1950 and 1960s - though some units are dedicated with newer russian and chineese equipment.

I just hope the Korea problem can be solved in peace. A war in Korea now will be 100 times worse than last time 50 years ago.

this is true, we will never see the end of war, not in our lifetimes, not in anyones lifetimes, i believe.

:rambo:

actually we may see a glimpse of hope in our life time that major powers may stop fighting each other.

not many people have noticed that throughout history major powers tend to fight among each other every 50 years or so, but things seem to be better in 20th and 21st century.

I just hope the old korea problem does not trigger another war between big powers and starts to cycle of world war again.

WARmachine88 said:
I just hope the Korea problem can be solved in peace. A war in Korea now will be 100 times worse than last time 50 years ago.

War is preferable to a bad peace
- Herodotous

I think Korea, Israel, etc. are good examples of this Roman maxim.

In roman time there is no nuclear weapon.

in today's world, at least a bad peace can ensure the survival of human race as a whole. A war in Korea may trigger a bigger shit that ends up in a nuclear winter (100 nuked cities are enough for a nuclear winter).

but bad peace is not necessarily good. over time, this bad peace could cause the troubled nations to hate each other even more. Look how bad it got between the US and the USSR during the cold war. there was no real war, as we think of it, yet the hatred grew and grew. the people of both nations are very very very very very lucky that we arent in a nuclear winter.

hoohaa310 said:
but bad peace is not necessarily good. over time, this bad peace could cause the troubled nations to hate each other even more. Look how bad it got between the US and the USSR during the cold war. there was no real war, as we think of it, yet the hatred grew and grew. the people of both nations are very very very very very lucky that we arent in a nuclear winter.

the peaceful ending of cold war is a miracle in my opinion cuz never in history rarely two confronted super powers do not fight each other over a period of 50 years.

and i think it is a symbol that humans may actually end the cycle of world wars because we realize another world war means the end of everybody.

I think that if there is a nuclear launch, it wont be on the scale of hundreds of nukes. Perhpas a few, launched in deparation. Everyone has nukes, but is too scared to actually use them for fear of retribution by other nuclear powers.

I think any more wars will be conventional with nukes launched as a last ditch effort to save a nation. (With the exclusion of tactical nukes)

I have a theory and it may not be right, but I just wanna share it.

you see if a nation got nuked with one bomb, ( like whole city gone and milliions died), this nation has a very very very high chance to revenge with nukes ( common sense, eye for eye , tooth for tooth), yet this nation does not want to be nuked again, so the only solution is to totallly destory its opponent so it will not have the nuclear capablity again.

that is why it is really hard to fight a so-called controlled nuke war.

that is most likely what would happen, unless, the people that fired the first nuke obliterate the country they were targeting, another entirely possible solution to a "bad peace".

to destroy a big power totally require perhaps more than 100 nukes (at least 3 nukes each for a possible launching site to dig deep enough to destory the missile in it).

100 nukes are enough for a nuke winter in theory.

WARmachine88 said:
In roman time there is no nuclear weapon.

in today's world, at least a bad peace can ensure the survival of human race as a whole. A war in Korea may trigger a bigger shit that ends up in a nuclear winter (100 nuked cities are enough for a nuclear winter).

That is exactly my point. They didn't have nukes 50 years ago when this war should have been won.

Back