Korea - Communist China's Biggest Blunder

Well...

Quote: "Again, Chinese intervention after America had gotten up to the Yalu river was a strategically sound decision.

This thread deals with the decision years before that in which China gave the green light to N.Korea to invade the South."

Wisperingdeath is talking about some matters before THE MATTER. :eek:

Whispering Death said:
THIS IS NOT ABOUT PRESENT DAY

It is completely irrelevent what China will do about Taiwan now, you're about 50 years off from the time period this thread concerns.

I am kindly pleading with you not to drag my thread off topic again.

What he said ....

Now please stay on topic here from now on..

I'm not too fond of China/Taiwan posts anymore, wince none of you seems to be able to have a civilized discussion about the subject..

Thanks.

I think North Korea was as much influenced by the Soviet Union as Red China.

Large elements of the Korean resistance to the Japanese had fled to the Soviet Union and had fought against the Nazis. They went back to Korea as believers.

HAHAHA Chinese ppl's work was all for nothing

Its would be one heck of funny if north korea invaded taiwan rite infront of china's ugly face. Then it would be holy SH>T. Now is personal. Not only chinese would be mad at that but NK's neglecting of china's aid. HAha chinese ppl ur equipment and men was all for nothing. But dont worry about the because you've got 2.5 billion people and you people produce faster than the blink of an eye or the speed of light.

Samurai_Zero has been temprorarily banned in order to allow him adequate time to read and understand the forum rules.

im feeling hes going to be permenantly banned pretty soon

anyway north korea is being played like a card, a card so important it is drawing teh attention of many countries

can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this:

my friend said that we were still officially at war with Korea just in a truce, is that true?

They, North and South Korea, signed an armistice in 1953 which is still in effect. An armistice is essentially a temporary agreement.

I still think the thrust of this thread is somewhat incorrect. After WWII North Korea was occupied by the USSR and the USSR directly shaped their institutions. The Soviets had largely withdrawn at the outbreak of war, but their influence would still have been major.

Both North and South Korea were starting trouble with each other on their border.

The North Korean government, if it was following instructions of anybody, was most likely following the instructions of the USSR.

Urbanboy said:
lol, we are not going to sit back and relax whole you gobble up nk, which is more dangerous than taiwan

its about piorities man, from nk you can attack china pretty badly, from a little island you are doing something quite impossible

besides, when ur about to be invaded and nuked, would you care more about that or rebel territory

Dude are you still not gettin it? What Whispering Death is saying is that, had North Korea not declared war on the South (which, according to him would not have happened with out China's blessing), there would neither have been any American troop presence in South Korea, nor would the U.S. have reacted against an attempted conquest/unification of Taiwan by the People's Republic. Of course, South Korea would still have had some American political influence.

I don't want to participate in this discussion myself, just helpin all participants understand what it's about. :lol:

I believe China made a big blunder arming NK, but I also say that the US made a big blunder too when it didn't keep an eye on what its ally Pakistan/ISI was doing to support and arm the Taliban. I mean , you know, you can't just foresee it all. It would have been next to impossible for China to understand that NK would be a danger and not the US- I mean back in the 50s.
Sometimes it does seem like bigger forces are at work.
But yeah Wispering Death got it right.
Jervis helps understand the dynamics of perceptions and misperceptions in international politics and their impact on history.

we didnt army nk, ussr did that, even today most nk weapons are ussr made, only some like personelle carriers and ROCKet launchers are made in china 8)

lol//.......

china armed North and let it invading SOuth?????????

although Kim and most of top leaders were trained in USSR, and most Yan-an faction (those who are trained in China) North leaders were purged

just look at North's equipment, its fist unit was the Tank troops armed with T-34 produced in USSR..

china, on the other hand, had just gone through 100 years of chaos and disasters,

how could it have time and energy to support North and start a war....

In the beginning, I do not believe that the Chinese ever thought they were going to get directly involved. As Whispering Death stated, it was a blunder on their part. With their civil war winding down, I am sure that the Chinese leadership was willing to send some weapons south as it was in their interests to see the Korean Peninsula reunited. All this fell apart with the UN intervention. Now in the biggest irony of all, China and South Korea have a very healthy trade relationship, which would never have happened without the UN intervention. It really is interesting how this situation has come full circle.

Dean.

en...i think u get some fact wrong

China didn't have the idea to send anything to the U.S occupied south korea during that time

and china does not have anything to send to North,

all Norht korea's weapons like T-34, fighter (mig-21) are from USSR,
and so are the North Korean leadership

North korea wasn't listening to China until USSr abandoned them and Chinese feels a bit uncomfortable with american troops advaning to China's boarder (Yalu river)

Yes, at the time of the Korean war, it was Stalin pulling the strings, not the Chinese.
Mao was taking orders from the Kremlin.

North Korean leader Kim Il-sung launched the attack once he had received a promise of support from Soviet leader Joseph Stalin. In January 1950, U.S. Secretary of State Dean Acheson had delivered a speech in which he said South Korea and Taiwan were not part of the American "defensive perimeter," which seemed to indicate the U.S. would keep out of a Korean conflict. And it's clear that Stalin only agreed to support the invasion after being convinced the U.S. would not get involved.
The chief part the Chinese took in the North Korean invasion was to alow transit of war materials across Chinese territory.

The Chinese had more importent things to do, like resurrect a country devestated after years of ocupation and war with Japan and a bloody civil war.

In 1949, Rhee was eager for a march north, hoping to ride the wave of U.S. support for his regime. In fact, the South launched several attacks across the parallel in the spring and summer. All were on the Onjin peninsula which, if seized, would secure southern forces a relatively direct and rapid route to Pyongyang.

While South Korea seemed to enjoy the military advantage early in the year, that advantage shifted north by late 1949, with the return of North Korean units that had fought in China's civil war. This shift now made Kim Il Sung eager to strike south. It remains unclear whether Kim thought in terms of a quick strike to seize Seoul or a full-scale invasion of the south. Regardless, what is clear is that both sides were eager for battle.

Once the U.S. became involved in the civil war, and pushed to the Yalu, after Mcarthur ignored repeated warnings, the Chinese struck, not being prepared to have an American army on their border.

k19 said:
well, i just want to point out a news that CNN reported a week ago, interstingly, it's about the americans "live no man behind". the story was that a plane was lost at the korean in a fight. years after the war, nobody fround the remaining in korea. then, a twist, when a chinese family brought a piece of land in the hill side and start building the house, they found an old plane in an hole in the ground and a dog tag... so, years after the war, a mistrey finally have a good end..... well, how does the plane end up in china? to me, one thing that is quite clear, the UN army is really close or have crossed the chinese border. nobody imagined that china could enter the war at that time, but surely, no one ruled out the U.N would stop at the chinese border neither. it's metter of live and death to us when china entered that war, i can't see the the samilar situation apply in Taiwan, really.

Because US fighters, heavily outnumbered by their Chinese counter parts on multiple occasions flew over the border striking Chinese planes as they were preparing to take off, as one American Airman put it "If you hit the first Chinese Mig as it came off the runway the rest would turn around and go back into their hangars." And that is how an American fighter plane could end up crashing into a Chinese hillside.

Back to topic.

Do I think that China gave the go ahead for a North Korean invasion of South Korea? Yes, but only in a way of "Do what you want, it is not our business." because I assume two things: 1.) China did not think America would be involved and 2.) China assumed that they would not become involved. Both to me seem like reasonable assumptions since they do after all feed off of each other.

Back