KOKODA, the movie

Warwick

For release on Anzac Day is a movie about the battle of Kokoda.
Follows the fighting involving a cut off platoon of Australians from the 39th.
For a view of the excellent trailor go to www.kokodathemovie.com.au
Looks pretty good guys.
There are a couple of other movies about the Kokoda campaign on the way as well. Can't wait.

There was another decent Australian World War II film I saw some years back... the Last Bullet I think it was called.

Yeah cant wait til that comes out, the lads and I are going to see it on ANZAC day. Then the drinking begins.

Is this a world -wide release on 20 April? IF not can you tell us when it will be available in the US. I am very interested after viewing the website and the trailer.

There is also a link to a website which provides more background to the true story behind the film here: http://www.battleforaustralia.org.au/

The music sounds first class.

Doubt it will, and if it does, probably wont be in a cinema near you. Buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Pretty sure it will only be available on DVD for the o'seas folks.
Too small a market to try and fund a cinema release in the USA.
Be patient our foreign friends................

Hey, I just watched it last night at the movies. It came out early for some reason at one of the cinemas around here. Its pretty good, slow to start with but once you get more into it it gets very interesting. Definatley go and see it.

I saw it but I didn't think it was great. Good by the standard of a lot of films of late, but I think it focused too much on the small group story and less on what actually happened at Kokoda. Definitely see it though.

Lucky blokes. I will see it after the Anzac parade in Brissvegas.
By the way, there are two more Kokoda movies on the way.
Ones being directed by Yahoo Serious!! ******. One of my troops snotted him a couple of years ago for gobbing off about our involvement in the MEAO.
Don't think his effort will be a comedy though.

Another top Aussie film!

For the non Aussie element out there may i recommend the excellent film about the Australian SAS in Vietnam "The Odd Angry Shot". The film accurrately depicts the equipment and tactics used at the time during that conflict. The casualty evacuation under contact scene in the film is so realistic that it was used to reinforce the lecture given to JNCO's on thier Battle course(SCBC) at Brecon Wales. May i also recommend whilst we're on the subject of the SAS in Vietnam, the excellent book by the title of 'Mung ra' phantoms of the jungle-The history of the Australian SAS in Vietnam. This book has quite a personal intrest to me as in 95' i was on rear party in Celle Germany as B.O.S when an Australian family where saying in the WO's&Sgts Mess as its cheap accomodation to British and Commonwealth forces. Diane was a Australian W.O and they where moving from Mess to Mess(before you think,why an earth would they stay in rubbish accomodation! A Mess is the Title of the exclusive club to which a soldier becomes a member of when he/she is promoted to rank of Sgt). Anyway i was sat in the Mess having a cuppa when Dianes husband walks in(he is slightly older than her)"G'day mate! Ken Lunney mind if i join you?" i reply "Certainly Sir,please sit down " and we begin to chit-chat. He then see's the book and say's "Good read?" and i show him and tell him that actually its about the Australian SAS in Vietnam, he gestures to see it and i pass it across to him. He flicks thru the book and then stops at the pictures, suddenly squinting intently at one picture in particular. "God i was young!" he exclaims, i look a bit lost when he shows me the page he was looking at i look at the picture with a LRRP of immortal looking young SAS troopers,the caption says "Lt Ken Lunney and men of 16 troop SASR".
I look at the picture and back to Ken, hes now 50ish but theres no mistaking who is sat not 2 feet away from me! What are the odds!

The Odd Angry Shot is brilliant. It is one of the only movies I've ever seen where they depict the soldiers patrolling Vietnam as they really did.

top flick

Well i finally go around to seeing kakoda on the weekend, and thought was pretty bloody good, gives bit more of an insight to some of the storys my uncle used to tell me now.

I saw Kakoda just recently and have a mixed reaction.

On one hand I was moved by some of the scenes of mateship and it does succeed in letting us know how awful the conditions and dangers were for the Aussie diggers. But on the other hand none of the great stories or people I've read from the New Guinea battles were featured and I think a lot, lot, more could have been put into the script and onto the screen. It's not up there with "We Were Soldiers," or "To End All Wars," or "Saving Private Ryan, " etc.

But it's not a flop either, and worth seeing. It might give some in the audience an appetite to read up on the hero's of the New Guinea campaigns of WWII.

The only Ausralian war movie I've ever seen was Galipoli. It's also the only war movie that brought a little tear to my eye.

Back