Do you Know where Iraq is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordFish_13

Hi,

tsk tsk tsk

80% OF AMERICANS CAN'T FIND BUSH'S TARGET

From Richard Wallace, US Editor, in New York

GEORGE Bush is on the brink of invading Iraq - but most Americans have no idea where the country is.

A survey revealed that only one in seven aged between 18 and 24 could identify Saddam Hussein's land.

And while more than half knew that al-Qaeda and the Taliban were based in Afghanistan, only one in six could find the country on a map.

Even more worrying - one in 10 couldn't pick out America.

When the Daily Mirror carried out a poll of 100 people on the streets of New York yesterday, we found that 80 per cent didn't have a clue where Iraq was.

Yesterday President Bush asked for military support from 60 countries, including Britain, as he prepared for an assault on Baghdad, which he is threatening if Saddam defies a UN resolution to get rid of weapons of mass destruction.

At least 12,000 Americans should know where Iraq is - they are the troops currently massed just over the border in Kuwait.

The poll that highlighted the Americans' ignorance about Iraq - population 22 million, area 260,000 square miles - was carried out by the National Geographic Society.

The Mirror poll was carried out at the self-proclaimed centre of the world - Times Square on Broadway.

New York cop John Riley, mounted on his trusty steed Hoss, studied our map for several minutes, saying: "I've got to get this right."

Then, with his finger hovering over northern Europe, he declared: "I know it's round here somewhere.

"Ah yes, there."

With a firm stab of his finger, he picked Austria as the new Iraq. Hope he's better with an identity parade.

Young couple John and Joan Jubett, from Manhattan, wanted some help.

Waving half-heartedly at South America, John asked: "Is it here somewhere? Or here?" He skimmed across the atlas to China. Finally he settled on northern Italy.

One girl in her twenties, clearly pondering a greater philosophical question, asked: "Is Iraq even in the world."

A burly construction worker barked: "Don't know, don't care, they'll be nothing left of it soon anyway."

There was no messing about from Tracey Shauger, 21, and pal Misty Wright, 20, from Michigan.

Five seconds' consideration and a firm "here", as both agreed Iraq was in the Gobi desert. Wrong - that's in Mongolia.

Drag queens Kristal Snow and Hagatha Christie, from the Lower East Side, were equally sure.

Hagatha hissed: "Oh, that Saddam is such a naughty boy. I know where he lives, it's right here," pointing at Norway. "No, no," said Kristal. "That's where I'm from.

"Iraq is right there."

Er, good morning Vietnam.

Others placed Iraq in France, Germany, Albania, the Caspian Sea, South Africa and Nicaragua.

Many of those who couldn't locate it admitted to feeling ashamed.

Carina Jannetta, 27, said: "I guess I should know. I am interested in foreign policy - I am against any kind of conflict. I know plenty about the issues but I guess my geography isn't what it could be."

Myra Dunlap, 54, admitted: "I can barely find the US. I'm not stupid, I'm just ashamed to admit I'm really bad at geography."

Rochelle Fox, 32, on holiday from California, said: "I know it is in the Middle East. I'm not that stupid, but I just can't quite remember exactly where on the map."

Theresa Livingstone, 32, admitted: "I guess I should know. There's enough about it on the news every day. I know it is close to Iran and Afghanistan, but I just can't find it."

Roberto Rios, 56, said: "I may not know where it is on the map, but that doesn't mean I do not care about the issues involved."

Jay Greany, 40, who also failed the test, admitted: "It's quite embarrassing. I should pay more attention." There were still those who were nearly up to the challenge. Kejli Jensen, 35, from Brooklyn took his time and plumped for Turkey. Close, but no cigar.

Johan Samora, 26, insisted: "I'll get it right next time." And Diana Grullon, 23, said: "I only can't find it because I'm wearing my glasses." Larry Layugan, 47, from Hawaii, said: "I'm not embarrassed that I didn't find it. At least I got the right area of the world."

Josephine Bloomer, 67, pointed at Afghanistan. Then she said: "I was close, but it bothers me that I didn't know."

Those who did get it right were ashamed of their fellow countrymen's performance.

Jordan Stevens, 25, from Brooklyn, was one of the quickest to find Iraq.

Despite the experiences of many of his fellow citizens, he insisted: "Us Americans aren't as dumb as you think we are, you know."

Sean Condron, 33, echoed his sentiments, bragging: "You think us Americans are all bad at geography but I got it. Ha!"

Elise Pritchard, 45, despaired that so many people did not know where Iraq was.

She said: "It's on the TV and in the papers ever day. How can you pay so little attention to what is happening that you don't know that?"

Anne Rothschild, 56, said: "We are totally connected to Iraq right now.

"It's a very scary situation. We need to educate everyone about what is happening.

"But it is in the paper every day, and in magazines and endless TV shows . It's hard to know what else we can do.

"We need to raise awareness of things happening outside the US.

"I guess people just aren't interested enough."

Oliver Wildman, 22, found Iraq instantly. He said: "I'm constantly amazed at how little my friends know about what is happening outside the US. Well, inside it too.

"Not that it stops them mouthing off about it in the bar."

Maggie Miller, 48, said: "When they are talking about a story on the news I want to figure out where it is.

"We Americans as a whole are very insular. We need to understand about the rest of the world."

Eurydice Thomas, 32, from California, said: "I got it but then I do have a masters degree in geography!

"But geography education in America is in a sad state. It needs a lot more attention, especially now with so many conflicts.

"We need to change the way news is reported so that people become more aware of what parts of the world are involved."

Meredith Lissack, 24, said: "It's bad if someone can't find it. People don't have any concept of what's going on in the world right now."

Michael Tolesny, 35, said: "I knew where it wasn't then I narrowed it down."

And Kimberly Wheeler, 24, California, bragged: "Of course I know where it is."

Charles Humpstone, 71, from Vermont, got it straight away, but his daughter Alessandra, 41, did not have a clue.

"Shame on you," he laughed.

One irate pensioner, who had an east European accent, didn't want to get involved.

He said: "I know what you're doing - you're trying to make us out to be stupid.

"If you think you're so clever you tell me the capital of *Belarus.

"Hey? Hey? You don't know, you don't know. I know where Iraq is - I'm just not telling you."

(*For the record, the capital of Belarus is Minsk.)

Americans have always been notoriously insular - just a sixth of them hold passports - and asking them to find anywhere outside the United States on a map is a daunting challenge.

The National Geographic Society survey said that nearly half of American youngsters couldn't pinpoint France or the UK either.

Society president John Fahey asked: "If our young people can't find places on a map and lack awareness of current events, how can they understand the cultural, economic and natural resource issues that confront us?"

Britt Meylan, 32, a sales executive from Texas was in no doubt where to find Iraq.

Grabbing the Mirror's atlas, she immediately pointed it out, correctly identified all the countries on its borders and thrust the book back, demanding: "Anything else?

"And by the way we're going to kick Saddam's butt."

Source

"One girl in her twenties, clearly pondering a greater philosophical question, asked: "Is Iraq even in the world.?""

60% couldn't find England, and worse still 11% couldn't find America!!!

wow ...........I am Speechless right now .............. :eek: :roll: :D

--Good Luck--

And I bet those statistics are entirely accurate, too, hey, somebody published it, it must be true. :roll:

You have to be careful with believing things you hear like this, these folks only give you a couple numbers and the rogues' gallery of idiot responses, while telling you nothing about the parameters of the poll (age range and other demographic information). Some people are so quick to self hatred as a nation, they would rather believe anything bad they hear about it (look at Michael Moore) than take the time to figure something out for themselves.

beardo said:
wow...that is pathetic....but i bet its the same here too
Not really, we tend to have a high value on maps and geography.

I met an american who thought scotland was a small island off the coast of england.
I met another who thought the UK ended at manchester.

But do you know where Norway is?? :D
And how many Polarbears do we normally have walking around in an average sized Norwegian town??

Redleg said:
But do you know where Norway is?? :D
And how many Polarbears do we normally have walking around in an average sized Norwegian town??

1. I know where it is..
2. Many.

Bwahaha..

Hey RL I am on the other site.
//KJ

EagleStrike said:
Im surprised Bush knew where it was.

Read the forum rules before you post again. This forum is not a place for you to showcase your attempts at political humor.

look at the size of the same tho: 100 people
tahts pathetic and can in no way represent the thoughts/knowledge of an entire country

i want to know:
where in new york did they get people from
was there any screening process
why didn't they get people from across the country

this article isn't worth the paper is was written on, absolutely pathetic

i hope other studies you do are more comprehensive than this one

the article maybe bull....but the sentiment remains. it's very easy to become isolated as an american. with such a big country. and with the mainstream media being in the state that it is.

to contrast; NZ is so far from anywhere. and we are a nation of travellers, we have to have a pretty good general knowlage of geography. so much of our life depends on tourism, import/export etc.

i tried it the other day (identifying countries & flags by name only) fun!

Well in the defense of Americans I'll say this though.
Europeans often get high marks where's where because there are so many countries close together and interact together often. I actualy attribute geographical knowledge of the Europeans to soccer. When your club plays against Hadjuk Split, Partizan Belgrade, 1. FC Koln etc., often you're curious to know where they are... and when you watch it on the tele, the announcer will tell you where it is. Now grow up with that and you're bound to know the places. If there was no Hadjuk Split, how would I have ever been motivated to take a look at the map of Croatia and see that it was along the southern coast?
Now ask the guys to name and point out where the American states are. Changes dramatically now doesn't it?
Plus I've met several South Koreans who couldn't find crap on a blank map and ran into many people in supposed worldly Europe who thought Korea was an African country.
Often I think "American geographical ignorance" is exagerrated in that it's not compared enough to the standards of many other countries except for Europe. Europe of course again boosted by proximity and frequency of interaction with its neighbors.

Actually before 9/11 I had no idea that there was even a country called Afganistan(sp?), and I had no idea what the Middle East was either. My dad was even in the last Gulf War and I still didn't know. I'm sure there are lots of people who don't know where Iraq is.

:eek:fftopic:
Actually I always forget which province is Quebec and which one is Ontario, I suck at geography.

:lol: :lol:

Hi,

And I bet those statistics are entirely accurate, too, hey, somebody published it, it must be true. Rolling Eyes

I know they Sex things up to some extent to add to their Sellable appeal But ...........Well they have to Add to it to make is sellable

This isn't the first time that this has been done. I'm rather amazed at how many Americans think Canada is south of the border.... Perhaps we have all those siestas with our mush dogs and use our igloos in our tequila. :D

To be honest I doubt if they needed to tamper with the results. This is not the first time a survey like this has been carried out with similar or worst results.

Thisngs are not Different around the world either if this has been dose elsewhere i would have been expection something similar (Just a Little better though :D )but Americains are notorious for their lack of a goegraphical education :p . It is similar to the interviews given by RTE(the irish national television carrier) during the St Patrick day parades around the states a couple of years back.

If i am right They teach geography around eighth or ninth grade and thats it. RIGHT ?
I think that sums up where the problem comes from Education System . One year of having geography as a subject doesnt give the teacher time to cover much.

-=SF_13=-

:lol:

And yet we're a world leader in business, technology, and science, the education system must be doing something right. Or we've just been getting lucky all these years. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back