Do you Know where Iraq is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

And yet we're a world leader in business, technology, and science, the education system must be doing something right. Or we've just been getting lucky all these years.

Brain Drain ? ;) :D

Yup but bad in geography ............Seriously though I have been taught geography form class 1 to 10 ........10 long years :shock: and still i know nothign ;) ...............and most of my American friends i talked to say they have been taught geo. in 8 th or 9 th grade for one year :p

What American Education system is doing Absuloutly Great is the Specilised and Higher Education Sector ............So I can't complain about the Higher Education............it's the elementary education that i see problem with............. but oo well i am yet to see a perfect system elsewhere too :lol:

I can't complain about the Higher Education as Indians top the ones to go there for Higher Education 66,000 approx :shock:

show that the number of students from India on USA campuses jumped 22% in the past year to a total of 66,836, to replace mainland Chinese students (63,211) top ranked in 2001.

Third highest is the Republic of Korea (49,046), which has surpassed Japan (46,810) this year as the fourth leading place of origin of USA's foreign students. Asia as a whole comprise over half of all international students on USA campuses.

Well probably if similar poll is to be taken form Europieans or we easterns about South America we would end up something like that what this pool shows...........North America is easy to locate Just a big Canada on top and all.................. it's the South America i have seen that Confuses people ;)

Peace
-=SF_13=-

It's what I say to people who keep saying crap about America.
I tell them if that's right, then I wonder why it is we're getting our butts kicked by them and why they're so ahead of the rest of us. If what they say about Americans is true, then surely the rest of us must be pathetic beyond the limits of human imagination.
The Americans have their own thing. We got our thing. Personally I couldn't be bothered if only 6% of America could read. I'd rather focus on my own country. You know... try to figure out a way to get the 99% litterate guys to try and beat the 6% (or whatever) litterate guys.

Redneck said:
:lol:

And yet we're a world leader in business, technology, and science, the education system must be doing something right. Or we've just been getting lucky all these years. :lol:

"And yet we're a world leader in business, technology, and science, the education system must be doing something right. Or we've just been getting lucky all these years."

and yet there are so many things wrong in the states today, to compare the US of the 1940's to the one of today is chalk & cheese.

you have lost the moral mandate that the world once gave you. cling to the right to bear arms (i KNOW that comment will be unpopular!) as if the brits are coming to take back their colony. in fact, although i
know there are many americans with the same mind set as myself, to the outside world it looks to be as if the US is teetering on the edge of religious fundamentalism. i don't think it matters what religion is involved, fundamentalism is bad.

just one mans opinion, and always open to debate!

America's not tettering at the edge of religious fundamentalism. If you know what's going on here, there's actually a big conflict going on between Christianity and the Politically correct movements.
Overseas you may only hear about the Christian groups when news agencies etc. want to make them look silly. Really it's being taken out of context. Basically now there are groups who don't want to mentioning of "Christmas" during this time of year and also things like the Declaration of Independence etc. is under scrutiny as well.
As a result, each side is getting more and more polarized. It'll be interesting to see what the result of this will be.

chewie_nz said:
"And yet we're a world leader in business, technology, and science, the education system must be doing something right. Or we've just been getting lucky all these years."

and yet there are so many things wrong in the states today, to compare the US of the 1940's to the one of today is chalk & cheese.

you have lost the moral mandate that the world once gave you. cling to the right to bear arms (i KNOW that comment will be unpopular!) as if the brits are coming to take back their colony. in fact, although i
know there are many americans with the same mind set as myself, to the outside world it looks to be as if the US is teetering on the edge of religious fundamentalism. i don't think it matters what religion is involved, fundamentalism is bad.

I could pick at that post, but i'll just pick one: about us becoming fundamentalist.

typical stereotype from a foreigner. You have at least been here, right?

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
chewie_nz said:

I could pick at that post, but i'll just pick one: about us becoming fundamentalist.

typical stereotype from a foreigner. You have at least been here, right?

nope, i haven't been. have barely been out of NZ to this point. but i will travel and one of the places i will visit is the US. or the myth of "the U.S" that so many of us have. maybe this is because of my age (24) or my political leanings ( i would've voted for kerry ). other places i will visit = crete, gallipoli, saudi & GB...all the places where things have happened that have made me who i am indirectly
i read, listen to punk rock, i watch alot of movies, and have alway done.
i base my opinions on the knowlage that i have built up, in some ways it may come from a nieve postition, but that is why it is always "my opinion".

personally i would've minded if you had picked my post apart, this forum is for debate right? i don't mind being corrected if i'm wrong. so much of my opinion is derived from news media...and america's actions since 9/11 have hardly endeared it to the world.

afghanistan, ok i can get the link there.
iraq? no sorry, bush lied to the world.

once again...my opinion. correct me if i'm wrong

Realy doesn't matter if 20 years from now our generals can't find a nation and blow it up....we can just blow it's general region up. That or the world.

Cause we got bombs that will blow your heads of...literely.

Hah, I remember seeing on TV, some American lady was asked how many states canada has. She answered something like 43, and her little kid said "Canada doesn't have states, it has provinces and territories!"

hmmm

seeing as between 1999 - 2004 i been deployed to gul 5 times including last yr i think i can safetly say i know where it is lol

i got full points for america :rambo: , i knew where iraq was, and i got all the oceans and continents :D

This is not new at all. Now of course ever since Geography was never a required course for basic studies, it's quite logical for Americans to not know the specific locations of various countries.

And too often geography is taught as "where is Warsaw?" "Where is New York?"
That's the most insignificant part of geography.
It's much deeper than that. It's the relationships between places, between people and places/environment, the spatial distribution and cause, creating thematic maps, finding out which areas are most likely to breed a certain type of disease... etc etc.
I'm a geography guy.

the_13th_redneck said:
And too often geography is taught as "where is Warsaw?" "Where is New York?"
That's the most insignificant part of geography.
It's much deeper than that. It's the relationships between places, between people and places/environment, the spatial distribution and cause, creating thematic maps, finding out which areas are most likely to breed a certain type of disease... etc etc.
I'm a geography guy.

lol yeah, I run into too many chumps who think Korea is a freakin' rainforest or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back