Do you Know where Iraq is ? - Page 2

--
Boots

December 20th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleStrike
Im surprised Bush knew where it was.

Read the forum rules before you post again. This forum is not a place for you to showcase your attempts at political humor.
December 20th, 2004  
Locke

look at the size of the same tho: 100 people
tahts pathetic and can in no way represent the thoughts/knowledge of an entire country

i want to know:
where in new york did they get people from
was there any screening process
why didn't they get people from across the country

this article isn't worth the paper is was written on, absolutely pathetic

i hope other studies you do are more comprehensive than this one
December 20th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

11% couldn't find America? That's quite remarkable given the fact we're taught that.... oh, I don't know, when we're 5?

Bull article.
--
Boots
December 20th, 2004  
chewie_nz

the article maybe bull....but the sentiment remains. it's very easy to become isolated as an american. with such a big country. and with the mainstream media being in the state that it is.

to contrast; NZ is so far from anywhere. and we are a nation of travellers, we have to have a pretty good general knowlage of geography. so much of our life depends on tourism, import/export etc.

i tried it the other day (identifying countries & flags by name only) fun!
December 20th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Well in the defense of Americans I'll say this though.
Europeans often get high marks where's where because there are so many countries close together and interact together often. I actualy attribute geographical knowledge of the Europeans to soccer. When your club plays against Hadjuk Split, Partizan Belgrade, 1. FC Koln etc., often you're curious to know where they are... and when you watch it on the tele, the announcer will tell you where it is. Now grow up with that and you're bound to know the places. If there was no Hadjuk Split, how would I have ever been motivated to take a look at the map of Croatia and see that it was along the southern coast?
Now ask the guys to name and point out where the American states are. Changes dramatically now doesn't it?
Plus I've met several South Koreans who couldn't find crap on a blank map and ran into many people in supposed worldly Europe who thought Korea was an African country.
Often I think "American geographical ignorance" is exagerrated in that it's not compared enough to the standards of many other countries except for Europe. Europe of course again boosted by proximity and frequency of interaction with its neighbors.
December 20th, 2004  
Locke

lol
there are morons and ignoramuses everywhere, ya just gotta search for them
December 20th, 2004  
Gelinas

Actually before 9/11 I had no idea that there was even a country called Afganistan(sp?), and I had no idea what the Middle East was either. My dad was even in the last Gulf War and I still didn't know. I'm sure there are lots of people who don't know where Iraq is.

Actually I always forget which province is Quebec and which one is Ontario, I suck at geography.

December 20th, 2004  
Archit

I suggest USA govenment distribute a detailed map to every citizen
December 20th, 2004  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

Quote:
And I bet those statistics are entirely accurate, too, hey, somebody published it, it must be true. Rolling Eyes
I know they Sex things up to some extent to add to their Sellable appeal But ...........Well they have to Add to it to make is sellable

This isn't the first time that this has been done. I'm rather amazed at how many Americans think Canada is south of the border.... Perhaps we have all those siestas with our mush dogs and use our igloos in our tequila.

To be honest I doubt if they needed to tamper with the results. This is not the first time a survey like this has been carried out with similar or worst results.

Thisngs are not Different around the world either if this has been dose elsewhere i would have been expection something similar (Just a Little better though )but Americains are notorious for their lack of a goegraphical education :P . It is similar to the interviews given by RTE(the irish national television carrier) during the St Patrick day parades around the states a couple of years back.

If i am right They teach geography around eighth or ninth grade and thats it. RIGHT ?
I think that sums up where the problem comes from Education System . One year of having geography as a subject doesnt give the teacher time to cover much.

-=SF_13=-
December 20th, 2004  
Redneck

And yet we're a world leader in business, technology, and science, the education system must be doing something right. Or we've just been getting lucky all these years.