Do you know Operation Samum?

Wildcat

Have you ever heard about Operation Samum which the point was that to evacuate US officers from Iraq just before Desert Storm? That was Polish Intelligence Service big succes. General Gromosław Czempiński take out of Iraq US officers. He learned them to spell their "new" polish names because they were given new IDs and document. They have to act polish building workers. Polish officer told him to drink bottle of alcohole and say to Iraqi officer on border line that they are very happy cause they are coming back to Poland. They were very drunk but fortunatelly they spelled their new names correctly. Operation was succesful. US gerneral gave polish officers medals. Brits and other countries refused to make this operation.

ahha its nice to see a European with some patriotism (no offense Italian guy) but yeh the poles have done a lot of things nobody else would do. Standing up against communism and fascism most notably.

For the Americans, Polish intelligence was the last chance-everyone else had already left Iraq as the atmosphere was too hot to handle. For the government in Warsaw, Operation Samum was an opportunity to show that Poland could be an equal partner and in the future a worthy NATO member.

A brilliant performance, what's better is the fact that:

Polish forces rescued not only CIA agents from Baghdad but also secret maps apparently so crucial that Operation Desert Storm could have had a different outcome if the mission had failed.

But even though it was a success, all the details of the operation will never see the light of day.

Source: http://campcatatonia.org/index.php?itemid=1234

Perhaps time to check out the movie?

Yes I agree with you on that one Rabs, but there is no information available on what sort of documents they brought with them. I believe there are many aspects of the Gulf War we never will know - this one might be one of them...

Wildcat said:
Have you ever heard about Operation Samum which the point was that to evacuate US officers from Iraq just before Desert Storm? That was Polish Intelligence Service big succes. General Gromosław Czempiński take out of Iraq US officers. He learned them to spell their "new" polish names because they were given new IDs and document. They have to act polish building workers. Polish officer told him to drink bottle of alcohole and say to Iraqi officer on border line that they are very happy cause they are coming back to Poland. They were very drunk but fortunatelly they spelled their new names correctly. Operation was succesful. US gerneral gave polish officers medals. Brits and other countries refused to make this operation.

Wow, I didn't know that. That's very interseting.

my 2cents here

the former eastern bloc countries of Europe are and will be the best and reliable allies of the United States in this new century!

Back