Knives and training

ozmilman

What sort of knives do the various militaries and forces around the world issue to their soldiers? And what kind of training do they receive in relevence to knife combat? I know the US Marines are issued with the KA-BAR Fighting Knife, which i bought here for $230 Australian. It's a damn good and simple knife designed for killing. Solid chunk of metal extending right through the handle to allow for maximum stability. Lovely, lovely stuff, easily the favourite of my knives.

Rich.

As a Army GI. I carried a KA-Bar expect my blade and sheath said U.S. Army. I also carried the Glock Knife. Most guys in the US Army are issued the M6 Bayonet or M9 Bayonet. But I payed for my KA-Bar and Glock knife myself. The KA-Bar was $45.00 US at Bass Pro Shops and the Glock Knife was $19.98 US at Lou's Police Supply. It's a gun store around my folks home. Been doing business there for as long as I can remember. Good deals and good prices period.

1220S.jpg
1219_large.jpg
U.S. Army KA-BAR

1212286.jpg
Glock Model 81 Field Knife

knf-901-m.jpg
M9 Bayonet

15477.jpg
M6 Bayonet

Very cool stuff mate, thanks for that!

Since our laws tightened and bringing anything dangerous into the country is costly, i obviously payed a hell of a lot of money for my KA-BAR knife, probably $160 US, i don't know how to work it out from Australian to US. It's worth every single cent though. You can't get a decent knife for under a hundred bucks these days which makes it hard for an enthusiast. I'd love to get my hands on one of those Glock knives, man that looks impressive.

Rich.

HI, in the German Army (Bundeswehr) the infantry units are issued with the brand new :twisted: KM2000 :twisted: (KM= Kampfmesser =Fighting Knife) made by Eickhorn Germany. The rest of the Bundeswehr is just issued with a :oops: pocket knife :oops: . If you are not issued with a fighting knife you can buy one yourself. In my unit the Glock 78 was the favorite.

KM 2000
km2k_real.jpg

Bundeswehr issued Pocket knife
bwtaschm.JPG

Glock 78
GlockOlive78.jpg

@ Ozilmann
I'd love to get my hands on one of those Glock knives, man that looks impressive.
Ozilmann the Glock is a very cheap knife. You can have one for 30 Euros.

Greets Joker
:salute:

Ek Knives

John Ek knives, go as far back as 1941. These were no nonsense knives. Strong, tough and razor sharp!
Ek was best known for his Commando knives. They were made from materials, like Venadium, and Poly-Chromium, that was rationed during the war.
(Note: this was considered strategic material during World War II, by the U.S. Government Productions Board Testing Dept.)
The government allowed him to make the knives because of his motto, "Made in America, by Americans, for Americans."
The only way you could get one of his knives during the war, was to show your military ID card to a dealer. The dealer would then have to turn in the ID numbers for every knife he sold.
If the dealer had no ID numbers, he could never get another knife from John Ek again.

Note: The handles were fixed by pouring melted lead or brass into the holes. If the handles loosened, you could just tap the rivets with a rock and tighten them up.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/amewn_11.htm

John%20Ek%204a.JPG

John%20Ek%206a.JPG

Very nice. Probably not as sexy as todays knives but they look pretty damn fine for 60 or so year old knives.

Rich.

ozmilman said:
Very nice. Probably not as sexy as todays knives but they look pretty damn fine for 60 or so year old knives.

Rich.

During the war, most "fighting" or self defense knives were not of the best quality and were not meant for the use that knives would have to go through today. John Ek used the best steel available to hand make each knife. He also employed the handicapped to make leather sheaths. Now, off the shelf knives are made with steels that are superior to the best hand made knives of that era.

My Wife's step-brother was a Cobra pilot in VietNam and he carried a Puma Skinner and would carry the sheathed knife in his back pocket. His butt had put a permanent curve in the knife that I was able to straighten out for him.

By the way, when you purchase a knife from Ebay or online, don't you just receive a package as mail and not have to pay the extravagant fees?
You can buy pretty good blades online for around $30 to $75 here.

Aw man, i wish i had known that... Thanks for the tip dude....

Heh, he left a butt mark on his knife?? That's funny as hell!!!!!

Rich.

I have to agree with metaljacket on this one, but i kinda like how that M9 Bayonet looks.... :D
:shock: All i know is that i never want to be on the recieving end of one of those :shock:

Well, when you're all alone, out of ammo for ur fancy sniper rifle, and you've lost your side-arm, the knife is the last thing you got. Stab them from behind in the lung and they can't scream - silent kill. Or wrap your hand around their face as you force it into their kneck/spinal chord. Slightly gory, but very cost effective.

Rich.

Just remember, your blade has to penetrate an overcoat in the Winter, a BDU jacket, and probably thermals. If your blade is too wide and the tip looks like an English broadsword, you'll have to be super human to penetrate deep enough to hit a vital place. If the blade is too thin, there is a good chance that it will bend or break. Thus, all the thousands of knife configurations from Kabars to Fairbairns. In such a case, what would you do?

Go the kneck. If you can't get the kneck, try the eyes - or choke hold them from behind and snap their kneck. Avoid them if possible. OBVIOUSLY it depends on what they're wearing, but once you make the one kill, provided you have time to pick it up, you have yourself another firearm. Obviously you can't destroy a whole platoon with just your knife.

Rich.

Ace Levy: Sir, I don't understand. What goods' a knife in a nuke fight? All you have to do is press a button, sir.

Career Sergeant Zim: Put your hand on that wall trooper. PUT YOUR HAND ON THAT WALL!

[Zim throws a knife and hits Ace's hand pinning it to the wall]

Career Sergeant Zim: The enemy can not press a button... if you have disabled his hand..... Medic!

My goodness bloody gracious, i have a major in English and look how i was spelling neck.... SORRY MAN, i never type NECK on the keyboard, but i always type the word KNOW so i've automatically put my finger on the K before putting it on the N... Man, that's so embarrassing. I really do have a degree in English btw... Would you look at that!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

And the thing about running out of ammo meant exactly what it said - "when you run out of ammo for ur fancy sniper rifle....etc etc". Sniper rifles are fancy...

Rich.

The scenario is taking out a guard of a full company of heavily armed soldiers. That rules out any shot from even a silencer. You have to get in close enough to call in fire. The guard has his headgear on and a muffler around his neck, which will makes a throat stab a touchy situation. You have to resort to your knife. What kind of weapon would have prepared for this mission? By the way, the guard is a pretty big boy. :?

I thought what you meant by fancy was....when you run out of ammo for that (useless/stupid/dumb/loser of a gun) sniper rifle... that is what i though you meant but clearly i was mistaken :D

Ahhh, nah man, i wouldn't call something that could take my head off from a mile away "stupid".

About the scenario... Hmmm, that really is a tough one, because i'm assuming his hand is on his gun. Well, in that case, and if his eyes/back of his neck etc tec are covered, and for arguments' sake he's bigger than i am then there is nothing i could do unless i was certain that my knife could penetrate his clothes. I'd avoid him if at all possible.

I'm not sure what the muffler around the neck does, but if his mouth were uncovered (which it should be so he could yell out or use the radio) a knife (if long enough - which it should be) can always go up thru the bottom of the jaw, thru the upper soft palate of the mouth, thru the nasal passage and up into the brain. But you'd still need to be careful of that weapon being fired and a warning going out.

I really don't know man, i've got no military training - just 18 years martial arts training. That counts for about, oh, i dunno, maybe an equivalent 2 or 3 days military training. So essentially i know next to nothing.

Rich.

Back