Kirov Class Project 1144.2 Heavy Missile Cruiser.

FlyingFrog

Maybe it is very interesting to know something about the current status of the world's largest cruiser?

(Peter the Great) Kirov Class Project 1144.2 Heavy Missile Cruiser.

1144_40.jpg

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/kirov/kirov4.html

There is indeed a big problem of funding.

Budget cuts at the end of the Cold War led to discontinuing the construction of a fifth unit of the Kirov class. At the end of 1997 only the Admiral Nakhimov remained operational and the Admiral Lazarev was said to be slated for disposal because of insufficient funding for needed repairs. The Admiral Ushakov, which had been inoperable since 1989-1990, was stricken in October 1998 to provide material for a refit of the other active unit of the Kirov class, the Admiral Nakhimov. However, on 14 January 1999 the Russian Duma voted the Admiral Ushakov be repaired and restored to service, using funding allocated for other construction and repair projects. The much-delayed Petr Velikiy, which arrived in the Northern Fleet in November 1996 for acceptance trials, was finally commissioned on 18 April 1998, but in the Northern Fleet rather than in the originally planned Pacific Fleet. However, she was subsequently laid up at Severomorsk awaiting completion and repairs.

So there's only what, 2 Kirov's in active service (or will be in active servoce)? Man the operational cost of one could probably pay for 3 Kresta II or Kara, or even 2 Slava's

BmrSooner451 said:
So there's only what, 2 Kirov's in active service (or will be in active servoce)? Man the operational cost of one could probably pay for 3 Kresta II or Kara, or even 2 Slava's

There is max. 2 Kirov's in active service.

Slava is indeed a much better choice in current Russian navy, it is only 1/2 weight of Kirov, should be much more cheaper than maitaining Kirov in a "peaceful" period.

Slava:

marshalustinov1.jpg

They'll maybe ahve two Peters, but than they would have to scrap or sell the whole navy to finance their maintenance... :D

What's really wrong with Russian Defence?

Seems they can make quite good stuff but cannot afford for themselves but to sell to other countries.

Maybe after 10 years they will have some money to equip themselves, but then other countries have developed too.

:lol: You guys.....

Well A big ship it is ---- Impressive ---- Indeed

:m16shoot: = always want to use that icon 8)

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

This much more bigger guy Minsk Carrier is bought by a Chinese private company and now becomes a Tourism Park

*Lmao*!!!!!

FlyingFrog...... You almost killed me there..... :lol:

Cheers:
Doc.S

[/u]

Snauhi

You are right here .... I was not laughing at the Russian navy but the picture and the comments before it. Sorry about that one. Russia have since 2000 done big things with their forces. I have the report in my hand in this moment. 20 pages of information about the Russian navy and their forces. I did a school essay on the russian forces in 2001. All from Safetyenviorment to the Armed forces design, navy, landforces, airdefenses, personalstructure, strategicforces, military industrial etc etc.

With all respect for the Russian people they have done a good and hard job to come back after Gorbatsjov's “Peristrojka”.

Cheers:
Doc.S

Back