The Killings in Haditha - Page 2

--

August 26th, 2008  
MontyB

Once again I will say "So what" we all form our opinions from the information we have and the slant we put on that information based on our own experiences if we were to make no comment on the things we have no direct experiences with it would be a very quiet world and completely dead forum.

Lets be realistic here how many of those that rattled on about the "evils" of Russia or the "poor Georgians" were there, would you be so bold as to tell them they should keep their conclusions to themselves because I bet 5.56, Aikirooster, ToG, Yourself, Myself probably couldn't have found Georgia on a map 6 weeks ago and yet we all had opinions as to who was right or wrong in the conflict.

The simple truth of the matter is that every is entitled to an opinion you and I may not like that opinion but that does not make it any less valid.

In terms of this "anti-military" pattern you "see" developing my personal opinion is that you are seeing what you want to see here as from what I can tell Perseus spends very little time in the "political" side of these forums and outside a rare burst of enthusiasm on electric cars and global warming neither of which were particularly anti-military I struggle to find more than a handful of posts outside the WW2 forum.
August 26th, 2008  
senojekips

A lot of what may be considered by some as anti military, or anti whatever here, is bought about by equal or worse cases of deliberate baiting in the first place. Also there are people among us who deliberately misconstrue another's point merely to try and divert the debate because they don't like the way that it is going.
August 26th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Hmmm that may actually be true.
No, my stance on this subject isn't "hmm, whatever." It's more like "this stuff is real bad and I wonder what the authorities will make of it." Either way, it's real bad. I wouldn't jump on anything but it seems that way.
As for the Russia thing... let me put it this way. The way Russia fights in Chechnya, armies of Western countries DO NOT fight in that sort of manner. It is by no means equal.
There's no question that Georgia screwed up. The part about the situation that I found most troublesome was that we did choose to see them as allies, and they did give us a hand in the Middle East. As for the level of American involvement... I think it was just about right. Georgia messed up enough to not warrant a full military backing.
The difference can be seen as such.
In fact, I don't think I've even criticized Supostat for being totally Pro-Russia on the Georgia issue and I don't see why I should because heck, if that's the side of the line he stands on I guess that is the case. Being on the other side's military doesn't mean you're anti-military. Just means you belong on the other side.
MontyB, you and I disagree a lot but you don't strike me as being Anti-military.
Perseus though is a different story.
--
August 26th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Hmmm that may actually be true.
No, my stance on this subject isn't "hmm, whatever." It's more like "this stuff is real bad and I wonder what the authorities will make of it." Either way, it's real bad. I wouldn't jump on anything but it seems that way.
As for the Russia thing... let me put it this way. The way Russia fights in Chechnya, armies of Western countries DO NOT fight in that sort of manner. It is by no means equal.
There's no question that Georgia screwed up. The part about the situation that I found most troublesome was that we did choose to see them as allies, and they did give us a hand in the Middle East. As for the level of American involvement... I think it was just about right. Georgia messed up enough to not warrant a full military backing.
The difference can be seen as such.
In fact, I don't think I've even criticized Supostat for being totally Pro-Russia on the Georgia issue and I don't see why I should because heck, if that's the side of the line he stands on I guess that is the case. Being on the other side's military doesn't mean you're anti-military. Just means you belong on the other side.
MontyB, you and I disagree a lot but you don't strike me as being Anti-military.
Perseus though is a different story.
Well I disagree with your assessment and in the end even if you were right he is still entitled to his opinion just like everybody else.
August 26th, 2008  
A Can of Man

And my point is, if his opinion on the military in general is THAT bad, what's he doing here?
August 26th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
And my point is, if his opinion on the military in general is THAT bad, what's he doing here?

Did you miss the bit where I said I disagreed with your assessment?

Further to this there are large sections of these forums which are devoted to history, politics and humour all of which do not require anything more than an opinion and the capacity to express said opinion to be a part of.

Given the lack of quality and thought that has gone into many of the posts and threads on these forums of recent months I am of the opinion that you are picking on the wrong target.
August 26th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Did you miss the bit where I said I disagreed with your assessment?
No, I didn't miss it.
As for why the quality of posts have gone down, in case you didn't realize, it's election time in America. Supporters of both sides are extremely high strung, especially with this one.
Having foreign people like you (and me too since I'm not legally a citizen) jumping all over THEIR issues IS going to get a reaction.
So maybe I did earlier in the year but lately I have not been arguing against either the Republicans or the Democrats in here about what's going on with them. More emotion, a little less thought than the usual, you know an election is coming up. And it's not your election.
Yes there is a history section, humor section etc., but don't expect to come to a military forum, slate the military in pretty much every shape and form and then wonder why you get on peoples' sh*t list.
August 26th, 2008  
Supostat

Quote:
No, you haven't... at least I didn't notice such critics

However, I do not think I am totally Pro-Russia. You should see those guys in Russian forums...
August 26th, 2008  
A Can of Man

I can only imagine... breaking out the Vodka, party, Russia style. Forget about the locks. Just evacuate.
hahahahha
August 26th, 2008  
Ski8799

RE; the topic

I do see fault as these Marines obviously crossed the line and were in violation of the ROE. I think that an emotional assessment is unavoidable in these situations as this team leader had just witnessed his best Marine instantly converted into "a pile of flesh" as he put it.

It would be nice if we could dispatch Robocop-like automotons to precisely carry out missions and follow the ROE in its entirety. We don't have that luxury as of yet, so unfortunately these types of horrific incidents will happen again.