Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
I picked up a copy of this book at Dulles on a flight to Europe to pass some time on the plane. I had no idea I was about to pick up one of the best non-fiction stories I've ever read.
This is the story of the killing of Pablo Escobar, once the biggest drug baron in the world. It covers his life, his family, his business and his demise. Author Mark Bowden is best known for his work Black Hawk Down, but book for book, I found Killing Pablo to be more interesting.
Another interesting thing you can learn from this book is how things are in many 3rd world countries. The business aspect of this book can be applied to many other countries... including Indonesia which I can tell you from experience. You'll learn what kind of a crazy place the world is. And the book also contains tragic heroes.
Seriously if you're looking for a non-fiction book to entertain, or perhaps even do a school report on, I recommend this book.

It's a good read alright. And it is informative as far as the war against the Medillian Cartel. But I think Bowden overplayed the role of US SpecOp's assets in it without solid information.

Yeah you're right. But considering the nature of their work, and the secrecy behind it I guess you couldn't blame him too much.
I too believe it was very much Colombia's own work. Perhaps their finest hour.

I watched that. And they played up the whole Delta was deeply involved angle too. IMO the US provided intel via CentraSpike but the take down was done by DAS.

I think so too. You also have to remember Bowden is an investigative reporter. So he's bound to look in the shadows for phantoms.

I loved the part where he said that it was feasible that a Delta Sniper put the round in Pablos ear.

Haha, yeah. But man, you can learn a lot from that book anyways.
Once you've read it, you've learned quite a bit about 3rd world countries as a whole... the ones that are developing, but seem to be taking their time doing so.

Oh don't me wrong it's an excellent book and you can learn alot from it. I like and even respect Bowdens work. Just sayin some times he falls victim to the clandistine op's bug.

This book was required reading for me when I was part of the MSG detachment in Bogota, Colombia.

I found it to be a good read and gave me a basic understanding why things in Colombia are the way they are.

Back