The Killing of al-Qaeda's No. 3: Does It Matter? (Time.com)

--
The Killing of al-Qaeda's No. 3: Does It Matter?     (Time.com)

June 4th, 2010  
News Manager

Topic: The Killing of al-Qaeda's No. 3: Does It Matter? (Time.com)

Time.com - Taking out terror suspects in Pakistan has little impact on U.S. security, today, because the Qaeda leadership there is on the run. The greater threat to America comes from homegrown militants

Read more...
June 4th, 2010  
senojekips

It won't really reduce terrorism, but it does send a message to the next in line.
June 4th, 2010  
Chief Bones

I happen to disagree with the FBI agent ... it does matter that we continue to take out the upper-echelon of the Al Qaeda's leadership. The more we decimate them, the weaker they are .. and while I have to agree that terrorists at home continue to be a problem, training continues to be at the hands of foreign groups. That means that the more we impact these groups, the more we will impact our home grown terrorists.

I believe in overkill ... and ... the more of these wackos we kill, the safer I will feel (both over seas as well as at home).
--
July 2nd, 2010  
LeMask

Yeah, but what kind of message? That they have to be worse and more desperate?
July 2nd, 2010  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMask
Yeah, but what kind of message? That they have to be worse and more desperate?
Vlad III sent a message to the Ottomans that they understood.
July 2nd, 2010  
LeMask

Sure, but tell us how he ended.

I still think we can fight terrorism effeciently with peanut butter. Some people are ruthless, and the reaction of their victims is to produce worse people to deal with them.
July 3rd, 2010  
Partisan

I'm still confused by the whole number 3 thing, it is obviously a crappy job, because by my reckoning we've killed or bagged 6 no3's in the last 4 years - yet nothing changes!

We've got to stop thinking about these people as ignorant savages, they've grown up in conflict and have learnt lessons the hard way. For every single one there is another waiting to take his place, each more willing to stamp his authority and identity on the "no 3" role, ususally through more action!

It is time we considered how can we bring these people to the table. I'm not sure of the qoute but it likens terrorism to the hydra. At the moment I feel that we creating a list of martyrs and a recruitment ad for Al Quaida and the Taliban second to none. We have to tackle them at the roots, strangle the support, then we might see some realistic gains, lopping off hydra heads is a long term prospect that I don't think we in the West have the stomach or spirit for.
July 3rd, 2010  
Wallabies

Quote:
I'm still confused by the whole number 3 thing, it is obviously a crappy job, because by my reckoning we've killed or bagged 6 no3's in the last 4 years - yet nothing changes!
It's probably one of the more important jobs. 1 and 2 are there as figureheads while the No. 3 probably runs the organization which makes him more visible which means there is more risk of getting taken out.
July 3rd, 2010  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMask
Sure, but tell us how he ended.
It did run off an army 3 times the size of his. Killed in yet another battle with the Ottomans, decapitation isn't a new trick for them.
July 3rd, 2010  
LeMask

My point is that there is nothing to learn from Vlad. He was a butcher and a sadist. I know we can learn from a lot of things, but come on... There is nothing interesting to learn here.

His head ended on a spear.

We know that we can use some horrible methods to destroy the enemy's moral. But isnt that a kind of defeat? The day we will ask our men to mutilate fallen enemies to scare them... We will be common criminals.

We need civilized methods to reach our objectives. Some warlords think that these methods cost too much. But if we look carefully, these methods are the cheapest.

Because the other methods dont work... Unless we have corrupt objectives like slaughtering people and looting.

There is some conclusions we have to understand:
1- terrorism is here to stay. Mankind learned a new trick, and it's called terrorism. Like crime, it will exist as long as there men and laws.
2- We have to find an adapted way to fight terrorism, to keep it at a minimum. Like we do with crime.