Kids in the USSR

One day, at the height of the cold war, Professor Ulyanov was talking to his small kindergarten class in a small school in Leningrad.

"Now children," Said the Professor "What country has the worst candy?"

The children chanted their reply: "The United States!"

"What country has the worst toys?" Asked Ulyanov

"The United States!" said the children

"And now children, what country has the worst food?"

Yet again, the children replied with "The United States!"

Ulyanov beamed at his children. "Very good, children! Now..."

But before the Professor could finish his sentence little Misha broke out into tears and started to howl with misery.

"Misha!" Said the Professor, crouching down next to Misha. "What is wrong? Are you hurt?"

"No, comrade professor!" Sobbed Misha. "I just wished I didnt live in the United States anymore!"

I once made the mistake of buying a bar of Russian chocolate. It was brown and about the consistency of chocolate, but there the similarity ended, it tasted much as I would expect a piece of candle wax to taste and left a fatty layer in your mouth like you had just eaten a block of solid cooking fat.

I threw the "chocolate" away but kept the wrapper as a souvenir. It was an yellowish orange colour with a brown palm tree motif. I'm now looking for it.

I think it may have been better used as a combined timber wax and stain than anything edible, and it was not cheap.

Back