Kids kicked off school bus because they speak English

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - A school bus driver let Rachel Armstrong's three children board the bus Monday morning, but he warned them that he wouldn't give them a ride home that afternoon, nor could they ever ride his route again.
The problem: Armstrong's 10-year-old twin girls and 8-year-old son speak English. According to their mother, the driver told them the route had been designated for non-English speakers only.
Armstrong said Wednesday that she got a call from a worried daughter who didn't know how she was going to get home. "She thought they had done something wrong," she said.
So a furious Armstrong had to leave work early to pick up her stranded kids from Phalen Lake Elementary School.
St. Paul schools spokeswoman Dayna Kennedy acknowledged Thursday that school officials handled the situation poorly, but said the reason Armstrong's children were ineligible to ride the bus was because they lived outside the school's attendance area - not because they spoke English.
The bus route was meant to serve a language academy at Phalen Lake for Hmong kids learning English, and the district's academies all have separate bus routes to keep their students together.
Kennedy said the breakdown happened when officials discovered the family lived outside of Phalen Lake's attendance area. The family moved last year. The plan had been to tell them they would not be legally eligible for bus service after the winter break.
"We made a mistake. The family was not properly notified," she said.
Armstrong can keep sending her kids to Phalen Lake, but under regulations must provide their own transportation, Kennedy said.
Armstrong said she arrived home Wednesday to find a message from the principal on her answering machine.
"She would prefer them to stay there rather than leave, and she would like to work on some kind of resolution," Armstrong said.
A simple solution, she said, would be to let her daughters keep riding the bus.
"It's so simple, but they want to come with the red tape and everything," she said. "As long as the kids get to school, that should be the main point."

http://kstptv5.com/article/stories/S21143.html?cat=1

I'm pissed off on this new form of segregation.

These are adults we're speaking of... I'm sure there's a simple solution available.
Either side could be guilty of being stubborn or irrational, in my opinion.

This crap needs to stop... I do NOT pay a ridiculous amount of taxes for this crap to occur in my country and damnit I'm 12th generation American so I am not going ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh, the unravelling of a nation. This is the exact :cen: Dick Lamm spoke about that Missileer posted not so long ago. Bear in mind if you speak up about this you are a racist bigotted :cen:hole like me.

Is it just me or are all the people here stamping their feet the ones that are happily posting in other threads about not being able to trust the media?

Anyway if I am not mistaken the "kids" were on the wrong bus going to the wrong school, one that taught people english they were told by the bus driver they were on the wrong bus because they already spoke english and you people are up in arms. I have heard of storms in teacups but you guys are making a hurricane out of this one.

The only segregation going on anywhere in this "news" story is that different schools use different bus routes to keep there students together.

Yeah, how many Hmong immigrants are their in Minnasota anyway??? I would wage the deer population outnumbers the Hmong community.

This is not a big deal.

Yeah, how many Hmong immigrants are their in Minnasota anyway??? I would wage the deer population outnumbers the Hmong community.

This is not a big deal.

Well to answer your question:

Census 2000 figures report that 41,800 Hmong live in Minnesota, but it is generally agreed among public and nonprofit agencies serving the Hmong that the actual number is above 60,000. The Census shows that the Twin Cities area has the largest number of Hmong persons of any metropolitan area in the nation.

http://www.hmong.org/

Is it just me or are all the people here stamping their feet the ones that are happily posting in other threads about not being able to trust the media?

Anyway if I am not mistaken the "kids" were on the wrong bus going to the wrong school, one that taught people english they were told by the bus driver they were on the wrong bus because they already spoke english and you people are up in arms. I have heard of storms in teacups but you guys are making a hurricane out of this one.

The only segregation going on anywhere in this "news" story is that different schools use different bus routes to keep there students together.

I did a search of child molesters in and around my neighborhood and several are within walking distance. Now, if my kids were left standing by a vehicle that was bought with my taxes and something bad happened, I would hold the driver responsible and the consequences of his actions would not be a good thing for him/her. Texas juries still use the "he needed killin'" defense in certain cases.

It's such a trivial issue..
Both, the school, and the parent(s) share some level of fault when it comes down to it.
The initial slip was admitted by the school, stating "We made a mistake. The family was not properly notified."
However, that doesn’t dismiss the fact that her children were never eligible to use the bus in the first place.

You are mistaken since it was the same school.....They mention a Language academy that is at said school, maybe that is where your confusion is....

Furthermore if these kids are trying to learn English then wont it be helpful if people that spoke English where around them????

Yes it would help them learn English Donkey but you must remember in the world of victimology and multi-culturalism it would destroy these Hmong children's fragile egos to be subjected to a situation where they realised how inadequate their language skills are... pardon me while I go yak... so we have to pander to them and their parents who I'm sure have been well informed by numerous agencies and community groups as to all that America OWES them.

I did a search of child molesters in and around my neighborhood and several are within walking distance. Now, if my kids were left standing by a vehicle that was bought with my taxes and something bad happened, I would hold the driver responsible and the consequences of his actions would not be a good thing for him/her. Texas juries still use the "he needed killin'" defense in certain cases.

So in that case you would presumably know what bus your kids were meant to take and if you moved to a different part of town you would have checked to make sure that secure/suitable transport was still available for them?

My impression of this "story" is that it is being blown out of proportion by a parent who seems more pissed off about having to take time off work to pick up the kids because they couldn't be bothered with doing simple checks than their safety, just another case of passing responsibility to anyone but themselves and playing the "down trodden American in their own country" card because that resonates with people looking to blame someone (As Bulldoggs post above shows).

As far as how much blame the school should get I really don't know who in the US is responsible making sure kids get to school safely if the school is then they should share the blame if its similar to here where the school takes responsibility from the point of contact to the time that contact is broken (i.e. school hours plus where necessary the time they get on or off a bus) then the parents are responsible.

Last edited:
The situation shouldnt exist in the first place. They are all going to the SAME school, they should be riding the same bus not have a special bus just for Hmong kids.

The situation shouldnt exist in the first place. They are all going to the SAME school, they should be riding the same bus not have a special bus just for Hmong kids.

Apparently it is not the SAME school, it might be the same building but it is a separate school here is another alleged new agency's report.

No Bus For English Speaking Children
It was a regular school-day morning for the Armstrong family this Tuesday -- until the school bus pulled up. The driver informed the Armstrong children they weren’t allowed to ride the bus anymore, because they speak English! That’s right, the children’s regular school bus route is now for new English learners only. The children attend Phalen Lake Elementary School in St. Paul, MN, which shares a building with a separate language academy. Apparently the change in the children’s regular bus route was a long time in the making, but school officials forgot to notify the family. Now that their regular bus route only transports non-English speaking students to the adjacent language academy, the Armstrong children are without transportation to and from school. Their mother, Rachel Armstrong, who had to leave work early to pick up her children on Tuesday, says it is a huge inconvenience. School officials apologized for not informing the family about the change, but maintain that their children are not allowed to ride the bus that passes their home everyday, because they already speak English.
See you tomorrow,
E.D.
You can reach me at e.d.hill@foxnews.com or through my Web site: www.hillfriends.com where I also have a review of Bill O’Reilly’s new book.
E.D. Hill anchors 'FOX News Live' weekdays from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. ET.

I'm surprised this didn't happen in one of the southern states like CA, AZ, TX, or NM. But MN?!! I didn't know they suffered from an immigrant language problem too! My image if MN is a bunch of middle class white folk freezing their asses off. :p

As far as how much blame the school should get I really don't know who in the US is responsible making sure kids get to school safely if the school is then they should share the blame if its similar to here where the school takes responsibility from the point of contact to the time that contact is broken (i.e. school hours plus where necessary the time they get on or off a bus) then the parents are responsible.

The school districts have a school board and the school has a faculty overseen by a supervisor who hires transportation, food services, facilities and maintenance workers, and so on.

Most information to parents comes from PTA leaders and nobody joins the PTA anymore because both parents, if there are two, have to work to pay school, and many other, taxes. It's almost impossible to get information to a single Mother with five kids living in Podunk, USA about which different bus each of her five kids are supposed to take.

Federal bureaucrats and Government agencies pushing their "who must go to school where" agendas have created school bus routes that looks like a map of freeways in California.

But, one thing I do know, it's not the kid's fault who is left on a sideroad in a rural area by a convoy of school buses passing them by.

Back