KH-55SM "Kent" cruise missile

rock45

Never saw a KH-55SM "Kent" cruise missile this clear before.

DATE:09/11/07
SOURCE:Flightglobal.com

PICTURES: Mystery Russian missile wreckage found in Turkey
By Tolga Ozbek
Wreckage from an unknown Russian missile or UAV was found in Turkey on 8 November. The debris was discovered on the coast of Samsun near the Black Sea on the north side of Turkey and was examined by Turkish air force personnel.

getAsset.aspx

getAsset.aspx

getAsset.aspx

Full story
http://www.flightglobal.com/article...russian-missile-wreckage-found-in-turkey.html

Samsun is my home town but I am not there so I couldn't see it. Anyone knows what is that ?

Missile?

oRTouCH
Anyone knows what is that ?

"According to the attached web page"

The vehicle appears to be a KH-55SM "Kent" cruise missile, say military sources.

Kent cruise missiles were designed to be launched from Tupolev Tu-95s to hit US aircraft carriers during the Cold War. The missile is believed to have crashed into the sea during a military exercise. he missile was taken to Merzifon air force base in Amasya, 150km south of Samsun, for further investigation.

Why didn't it sink? How would that with an open end according the picture float? Why wasn't it pick up on radar by Turkey's coastal defenses isn't every inch of there coast covered? Notice how the cone of the missile isn't there at least part of warhead and maybe some of the guidance system would be there is gone? Doesn't seem to be any rust Russia wouldn't wasted money on metals that don't rust. I'm guessing here but wouldn't the rear of the missile where the engine is be a little black from being used? Me thinks that missile came from some place else and put there. It could be as harmless as a fishing men's net pick it up and they wanted no part of it and just dumped on the beach. Or things could have been changed a little for the picture one never knows. It is an old type so no breaking discovery from it unless it was upgraded and worth taking a look under the hood one might say.
icon12.gif

Radar

I'm sure stuff manages to evade radar all the time but dropped from a Bear bomber? I would think some nice Turkey Viper pilots have some nice hud pictures of that almost small aircraft size missile falling off a huge Russian bomber to show the guys back at the squadron. I know the cold war is over but wouldn't Turkey or maybe Greece track bombers in or near there air space? These Bear seem to draw press attention on normal flights can you imagine a missile falling off? Doesn't add up to me.

On the flip side imagine your in a Navy Frigate on picket duty for a carrier when eight or ten of those things fly at you. One of the attack plans were to take out a number of picket ships thus opening a gap for more missiles and aircraft to reach launch position on the carrier. After seeing films and pictures of the Falkland Island War and seeing what anti-ship missiles can do being in the Navy can be dangerous. I just can't see how every missiles can be shot down maybe Standard missiles are that good.

I'm sure stuff manages to evade radar all the time but dropped from a Bear bomber? I would think some nice Turkey Viper pilots have some nice hud pictures of that almost small aircraft size missile falling off a huge Russian bomber to show the guys back at the squadron. I know the cold war is over but wouldn't Turkey or maybe Greece track bombers in or near there air space? These Bear seem to draw press attention on normal flights can you imagine a missile falling off? Doesn't add up to me.

On the flip side imagine your in a Navy Frigate on picket duty for a carrier when eight or ten of those things fly at you. One of the attack plans were to take out a number of picket ships thus opening a gap for more missiles and aircraft to reach launch position on the carrier. After seeing films and pictures of the Falkland Island War and seeing what anti-ship missiles can do being in the Navy can be dangerous. I just can't see how every missiles can be shot down maybe Standard missiles are that good.

It didn't need to fall in turkish waters, or airspace. The ocean has an amazing ability to wash things up where you'd least expect it. It could have been dropped anywhere. As for the rust, I'm sure the Russians use half decent metal in their aircraft and missiles. It's probably aircraft grade aluminium, not mild steel.

Back