Kevin Tway wins at U.S. Amateur

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/golf/15346976.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp
Kevin Tway, son of 25-year PGA Tour veteran and former PGA champion Bob Tway, beat Lloyd Saltman 4 and 3 to advance in the U.S. Amateur Championship in Chaska, Minn., on Wednesday.
He moved on to the second round in the match-play competition at Hazeltine National by beating the 20-year-old Saltman, who played in the 2005 British Open and was a member of Great Britain and Ireland's Walker Cup team.
Kevin Tway, 18, has the benefit of having his dad -- who made the cut at last week's PGA Championship in Medinah, Ill. -- caddie for him.
``Having my dad on the bag is a really big help,'' he said. ``If I hit a bad shot, I ask him why, and he'll tell me exactly. He makes me play real smart and calms me down.''
Others winners included Eddie Olson of Aptos and Joseph Bramlett of Saratoga. Olson defeated Michael Schachner 1-up, and Bramlett defeated Julien Guerrier of France 2 and 1.
The tournament continues today with second- and third-round matches and concludes Sunday with a 36-hole final.
• A week after the FedEx Cup competition ends next year with $10 million going to the winner, the PGA Tour will hold seven tournaments worth a combined $32.1 million in a Fall Series schedule announced Wednesday.
The tour revamped its schedule for 2007, with the emphasis on a points race that will end Sept. 16 at the Tour Championship.
The Fall Series begins a week later at the Turning Stone Resort Championship in upstate New York, and ends the first weekend in November at the Walt Disney World Resort Classic in Orlando, Fla. That will be the final chance for players to finish among the top 125 on the money list and keep their PGA Tour cards.
Along the way, the tour will feature some familiar spots -- such as Jackson, Miss., the Texas Open and Las Vegas -- and new tournaments in Fresno and the Phoenix area.
• The PGA Tour is one of the few major sports organization that does not have a drug-testing program, and Commissioner Tim Finchem said Wednesday that's not about to change.
Finchem was defensive about the tour's lack of a drug policy -- the tour doesn't even publish a list of banned drugs -- and suggested that it was not worth testing without any evidence that players were using performance-enhancing drugs.
``I don't think we're naive,'' Finchem said at the World Golf Championships in Akron, Ohio. ``I think we're very aggressive in having the capability to do whatever is necessary. But we need more than somebody just saying, `Why don't you go test and make sure?' ''
• Two-time defending champ Vaughn Taylor is away at the World Golf Championships in Ohio, but four other past champions are playing at the PGA Tour's $3 million Reno-Tahoe Open: Notah Begay III, John Cook, Chris Riley and Kirk Triplett. The tournament, which starts today at Montreux Golf and Country Club, also welcomes Nick Price for the first time.
• About 300 yards will be added to the 7,200-yard layout at Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Ky., in time for the 2008 Ryder Cup.
``We need to add a little bit more spice to it,'' designer Jack Nicklaus said.

Back