Kenseth pulls off sweep at Bristol

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=230497&FS=NASCAR-CUP[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Matt Kenseth pulled off a sweep at Bristol Motor Speedway, winning both the Busch and Cup series events. Kenseth's win clinches him a spot in the 2006 NASCAR Nextel Cup series Chase for the Championship, and is his fourth win of the season and 14th of his career.

"I didn't think we had quite the car today to tell you the truth," said Kenseth. "I thought Jeff Burton had everyone covered, but once we got to the lead - even though it's only a half mile track - when we got in clean air we were pretty good. We had great pit stops, there guys did it for me again."
Kyle Busch overcame early race adversity to score second. "Great run by the whole Kellogg's Chevrolet team. They did an awesome job for me and it was a strong run to finish second. It shows that it is not only the team but how well the cars are prepared for me. I wish I could have gotten to Kenseth that would have been a heck of a show."
Dale Earnhardt, Jr. was third.
"Friday was hot here and we were not very fast," said Earnhardt. "That was the hardest I have seen them work in the heat like that - I just told them that is motivation for me and I tried to do what I could on the racetrack. Our pit stops were the best they have ever been.we gained spots on every stop.I have to thank our whole team.that was a great car.they turned a pile of crap into a pretty decent race car."
Scott Riggs and Jeff Gordon completed the top five.
"I am proud of all the guys," said Riggs. "Everyone on this Valvoline/Stanley Tools Dodge has done a great job all year. We are a new team and we are just trying to prove ourselves. We finally had a good car and got some breaks and had good pit stops all night.it got us up there and got us a good finish."
Kurt Busch brought the field to the green flag and led the first 12 laps until Jeff Burton passed him for the lead. Burton remained the leader until lap 54 when Kenseth sailed passed for the top spot.
Kenseth was still the leader when the first caution waved on lap 64 after Sterling Marlin cut down a tire and hit the wall. Kurt Busch was the winner off a pit road picking up two positions for the lead.
Burton had just resumed the lead when Kyle Petty hit the wall bringing out the second caution on lap 87. Burton led on the restart on lap 94 and was still leading on lap 114 when David Gilliland cut a tire on the No. 38 Ford bringing out the third yellow flag.
Earnhardt, Jr. stayed out during pit stops grabbing the lead on lap 118. Earnhardt led until lap 137 when Carl Edwards, who also did not pit, grabbed the top spot. Edwards led until lap 152 when Burton once again regained the lead.
Gordon wheeled around Burton on lap 182 and was still leading on lap 202 when Kevin Harvick hit the wall bringing out the fourth caution. After pit stops, Gordon continued to lead and led through the next few cautions until lap 233 when Burton beat the field off pit road for the lead.
A loose wheel on the No. 07 of Clint Bowyer caused the seventh caution on lap 235. Burton led on the restart on lap 242. Kenseth made the pass for the top spot on lap 320. A caution brought the leaders to pit road on lap 326 with Burton leading the charge on the restart.
The No. 31 RCR Chevy was still leading on lap 381 when Elliott Sadler and JJ Yeley made contact bringing out the ninth caution period. The leaders stopped with Earnhardt emerging first off pit road. The No. 8 DEI Chevy led until lap 408 when Kenseth made the pass to grab the lead.
Kenseth was still leading on lap 445 when Sadler hit the wall causing the tenth caution. The caution brought the field to the pits with Kenseth getting the lead after service stops were completed. He led unchallenged the remaining laps of the event to earn his second consecutive win at the Bristol night race.
Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth have locked the first two spots in the Chase for the Championship. Kevin Harvick (-321), Kyle Busch (-402), Jeff Gordon (-408), Denny Hamlin (-429), Jeff Burton (-435), Tony Stewart (-443), Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (-448) and Mark Martin (-450) complete the top ten.
[/FONT]0.092

Back