Keeping Medals Together or Splitting Them Up Among Family Members

mbaca

Hello,

Thank you for viewing my question. My question is: would it be disrespectful to split up war medals from a loved one amongst each family member or is it a true military tradition to keep them all in one place?

Respectfully Yours,
Mbaca

It would be best to keep a veterans medals together. Military medals have an order in which they are worn. You could look for display cases for the persons awards and make either a simple or elaborate display.

His military record also shows the awards he was entitled to wear. There are numerous sites on the Internet for display cases. If you are missing any of his awards they should be available to next of kin from the government at no charge.

I believe USA Military Medals is a good site for cases.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response!

Thank you for responding.

My grandfather passed and I was hoping to receive one of his medals to remember him by since he raised me. My brother asked to receive them and tells me that they are not meant to be separated. Oh well, I haven't received anything and just pray that I will one day.

Merry CHRISTmas!

You can do anything you want with them.
No rules or regs.

Sad that there is disagreement, but family will screw you quicker than anyone.

Your brother is being selfish.

Ask for something and find a replacement for it if he has to have a set.

I have my dad's 506th PIR Ike jacket and other stuff-kind of historically significant.
My brother took a few items and I can find no right to complain.

Back