KAZAKHSTAN AIRBORNE FORCES EXERCISE STEPPE EAGLE 2004

Battleman

OK last summer I spent 2 weeks in Kazakhstan. I was part of a unit that went to experience the harsh desert conditions and also do some training with the Kazakhs.

Their equipment was pretty poor, old soviet era stuff, with all the goodies stripped out by the Russians and the bare minimum left behind. They were only given new uniforms too look good for our arrival. However I did manage to find some kazakhs with their "current issued" gear and it wasnt up to much.

I found it quite sad that alot of the kazakhs had their teeth missing, especially the front ones (replaced by gold teeth however) . This was due to initiation ceremonies, where the new recruits would be "toughened" by being rifle butted and a good "filling" in.

Their acceptable casualty rate for training was 20%!! This was visible as the Kazakhs weapons drills were poor, as alot them had negligent discharges of live ammo. Eventually we were told "if a kazakh approaches you, walk away", as they just werent safe! Hence on the exercise they dropped artillery shells a mere 50-100 Metres away from their own troops! However the Kazakhs were very friendly and made our visit hospitable. Just to point out the Blue berets were for their airborne troops. Also alot of them still had the old "Hammer and Sickle" cap badges!!

Kazakhstan was anice country, their city of Almaty was very nice.

Enclosed are some images I got when I was there.

Kazakh%20Chaos%20045.jpg

Kazakh%20Chaos%20049.jpg

Kazakh%20Chaos%20042.jpg

Kazakh%20Chaos%20024.jpg

Kazakh%20Chaos%20081.jpg

Kazakh%20Chaos%20044.jpg

Kazakh%20Chaos%20029.jpg

Kazakh%20Chaos%20056.jpg

Kazakh%20Chaos%20059.jpg

Yeah, I suppose they would do since they used to be part of the former USSR. The PK machine gun I was impressed with. It was so light for a GPMG!

How do people get these pics? A site, newesletters? i've never seen pictures of the militaries of countries, that no one talks about.

WarMachine said:
How do people get these pics? A site, newesletters? i've never seen pictures of the militaries of countries, that no one talks about.

I had my digital camera with me, Ive got loads more, that was just a sample.

Great pics , but what I'm wondering about is inspite of being such a huge country why does Kazakhstan have a poor military?(No offence but i dont know much, i'm only judging from what battleman said)
Kazakhstan is the 9 largest country in the world and the fourth largest in Asia
I know that size doesn't matter, but still if you have extensive borders and a large area to look upon you must have a well equipped military
Plus, they have had so much Soviet influence

Yup I am a TA Tiger. Now on the topic of the Kazakhstan Military, the country is the size of Europe with a population of 15 Million. Therefore with vast borders a country of this sort is difficult to defend. There equipment and training methods seriously need to be upgraded as they still conduct exercises the old soviet way, vast bombardment then sending in mechanised trrops in BTR's and BMP's. They dont train for Offensive operations like us Brits and they were well impressed to watch us Brits conduct a live firing Company attack and the accuracy of our SA80.

Both the BMP's and BTR's are amphibious. Oh by the way they were BTR 80's not 70's. As the 70's slant down at the back while the BTR 80 has a straight back.

Battleman said:

The 4th picture shows Kazakh Blue Berets on the left hand side and other troops with PASGT-like helmets on the right. Are these soldiers from your country or are they also Kazakh servicemen?

If they are kazakhs, did the USA provide them with the relatively modern helmets as a reward for Kazakhstan's military presence in Afghanistan and Iraq or were they given/sold to Kazakhstan by your country (if different from the USA) when you guys trained with Kazakhs or did Kazakhstan buy this piece of relatively modern equipment on their own?

Back