Katrina Approaching

Missileer

URBAN LEGEND: Not Katrina or any other Hurricane.

They are storm cells from 2004 and have made the rounds as every storm since 2004. Pretty impressive though.

kartina1_big.jpg

katrina.jpg

katrina2.jpg

katrina3.jpg

katrina4.jpg

katrina7.jpg

katrina9.jpg

katrina8.jpg

katrina6.jpg

katrina10.jpg

those look like tornados on the open plains to me. Flat ground, farming fields.

Hurricanes are less drastic than pictured there. They first start out like a normal storm but get way worse. The outer bands are nothing more than windy rain storms. Tornados are sudden and have that night and day effect seen in the picts.

Cool picts, but I do not believe they are from Katrina.

I got it in an email so I'll try to check the source. The tornadoes are usually spawned inside a hurricane. I think Katrina spawned one further NE of where it hit.

Doody said:
those look like tornados on the open plains to me. Flat ground, farming fields.

Hurricanes are less drastic than pictured there. They first start out like a normal storm but get way worse. The outer bands are nothing more than windy rain storms. Tornados are sudden and have that night and day effect seen in the picts.

Cool picts, but I do not believe they are from Katrina.

Here is what I found on the web;

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_hurricane_katrina_pictures5.htm

Comments: The preceding images are dramatic and real, but mislabeled. They are not photos of Hurricane Katrina, nor is this the first time they have circulated under false pretenses. In May 2005 they made the rounds labeled as a "storm near Bunbury [Australia]." In July and August they were forwarded as pictures of storms in various parts of Canada.

I contacted storm chaser and photographer Mike Hollingshead, to whom the photos have been attributed, and he confirmed taking them (most can be found on this page on his Web site). They actually document various supercell thunderstorms, tornados, and other meteorological phenomena Hollingshead observed in 2004.

if my wife was here, she'd be calling me a complete loser for being able to tell that those picts were not from a hurricane.

To let you know, I was a weather nerd when I was little...

...can you hear that sound?? It is a few of my rare cool points leaving my possession :cry:

Back