Karzai Wants End to U.S.-Led Operations

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Source:Associated Press

KABUL, Afghanistan - President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday challenged the need for major foreign military operations in
Afghanistan, saying air strikes are no longer effective and that U.S.-led coalition forces should focus on rooting out terror bases and support networks.

Karzai also demanded an immediate end to foreign troops searching people's homes without his government's authorization.

"I don't think there is a big need for military activity in Afghanistan anymore," he told reporters in Kabul. "The nature of the war on terrorism in Afghanistan has changed now.

"No coalition forces should go to Afghan homes without the authorization of the Afghan government. ... The use of air power is something that may not be very effective now."

In suggesting a new approach to fighting militants, Karzai said foreign governments should "concentrate on where terrorists are trained, on their bases, on the supply to them, on the money coming to them" — a veiled reference to support militants allegedly get from neighboring Pakistan.

Afghan officials have repeatedly accused Pakistan of aiding Taliban rebels and other militants, a charge Islamabad vehemently denies.

Karzai's comments came as Afghanistan began counting ballots from its historical legislative elections Sunday, seen as a final step toward democracy on a path laid out in 2001, when U.S.-led forces ousted Taliban rebels for refusing to hand over al-Qaida leader
Osama bin Laden after the Sept. 11 attacks.

In tape aired on Arabic television, Al-Qaida's No. 2 leader criticized the Afghan vote as "nothing but a farce" held "under the terror of warlords" — an apparent reference to faction leaders in Afghanistan's destructive civil conflict of the 1990s, some of whom were candidates.

"Thieves and warlords are controlling affairs in the country, where international monitors can't observe more than 10 constituencies even if they wanted to," bin Laden's Egyptian deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, said in a five-minute videotape aired late Monday on Qatar-based al-Jazeera TV.

Both al-Qaida leaders are believed to be hiding along the rugged Pakistan-Afghan border.

The six months leading up to the election saw the biggest resurgence in Taliban violence since the Islamic hard-line government was expelled, with militants seeking to derail the U.S.-sponsored vote. More than 1,200 people have been killed, many of them suspected rebels slain in coalition air strikes, according to information from Afghan and U.S. officials.

Just hours before Karzai spoke, coalition commander Lt. Gen. Karl Eikenberry warned that he expected "more fighting in the weeks ahead."

"We are staying on the offensive against the enemies of Afghanistan, and we will continue that process throughout the fall and throughout the winter," Eikenberry told journalists.

But Karzai played down the militant threat, saying, "We do not think a serious terrorist challenge is emanating from Afghanistan."

The president did not specify whether he was referring to a threat from al-Qaida terrorists, Taliban rebels or both.

Meanwhile, several of the country's 34 counting centers began tallying ballots Tuesday as others waited for votes to be delivered, said a spokesman for the Afghan-U.N. election board, Aleem Siddique. Helicopters and even donkeys were being used to transport ballots.

Siddique said the counting centers expected to receive all the estimated 6 million ballots by Thursday. Some 7,000 people were enlisted to count the votes, a process expected to take weeks. Initial indications put turnout at just over 50 percent — compared with 70 percent in last year's presidential election, which installed Karzai.

Another election board spokesman, Baheen Sultan Ahmad, said vote counting had not yet started in Jalalabad — which has counting centers for Nangarhar and two neighboring provinces — because of security concerns.

Early Tuesday, two rockets struck Jalalabad, slightly injuring one person at a government building, the Interior Ministry said. A roadside bomb exploded Sunday near a truck carrying ballots in Nangarhar but caused no damage.

Although there were no major attacks to disrupt voting, officials believe the lower turnout may have been due to fears of Taliban violence, the presence of warlords on the ballots and the bewildering choice of candidates. Also, many Afghans distrust politicians they blame for plunging the country into chaos and aren't convinced they can drag it out of poverty and pain.

In a preliminary report, an EU observer mission gave the polling a positive review but said vote secrecy was not always maintained. It said shortcomings included intimidation, intervention by officials, inadequate voter lists and "deplorable" killings of candidates and election workers.

Complete provisional results in the vote for parliament and 34 provincial councils were not expected for at least two weeks. Officials hope to have certified results by Oct. 22.

Peace
-=SF-13=-

Eh, I can understand his concerns. We have laws about unreasonable searches and siezures in America and now that his governemnt has been running for 4 years I can see how they'd like to have the same protections for their citizens.

I think a reduction in these searches might happen but I don't see coalition forces working under the authority of the Afghan government. I think Karsai needs to understand coalition forces are operating firstly for the bennefit of America and co. and secondly for the bennefit of Afghanistan.

Swordfish, do you have a comment or an opinion to express concerning this news item?

Hi,

DTop said:
Swordfish, do you have a comment or an opinion to express concerning this news item?

I researved my Openion For Future Use ....... :D

It's been Long since Karzai and his Government has been in Power .......... They till day have Absolutly no Control or Authority over the happnings in Afganistan ......... but now the elections have taken place............. Afghanistan now has a constitution, a president, a parliament ...... i think he wants Powers for the elected Goernment and not just a symbolic Government which has no Authority...

He also has lot of pressure .......... there have been many Insident when a Air assult has bombed Marriage pary or a Religious gathrering ......and reports of the Prision Abuses ........ House searches by US-led troops have been deeply unpopular with many Afghans......... well it ought to be ......... As the head of the State People in Afganistan must have been looking upto him for Answers to their Problems and questions . ............ and if everytime he looks back with the Helpless look on his face ........ people will start to wonder if the elections did had a meanign or not ......... do the people they elected really goverign the Country......... and these things start new dissidents.

IMHO he is Right in saying that now it's the time to Stop these short term tactics and go for the bigger fish ........... there would be a Few Terrorist hiding here and a few hideing there ........ but they now can't threaten Afganistan as a Whole as was the case earlier ......"When you don't have a massed army on the ground or large puddles of enemies, then airstrikes are less effective than when you do have that type of a situation,"...... Now is the time to Choke their Roots ....... concentrate on where terrorists are trained, on their bases, on the supply to them, on the money coming to them ......... In short Your so called Front Line Ally Pakistan .....

Karzai and his government has been repeatedly telling USA that Pakistan is aiding Taliban rebels and other militants ........... stop the Flow from there .

If i am right US given up the Command in Afginatan and NATO has taken over ?

Peace
-=SF_13=-

SwordFish_13 said:
If i am right US given up the Command in Afginatan and NATO has taken over ?

I highly doubt that because, one, I haven't heard anything like that and, two, with the average American's opinion about France and Germany? You really think most Americans want to let them take control of the hunt for Bin-Laddin?

HI,

Source:NATO Official Website

NATO took command and co-ordination of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in August 2003. ISAF is NATO's first mission outside the Euro-Atlantic area. ISAF operates in Afghanistan under a UN mandate and will continue to operate according to current and future UN Security Council (UNSC) resolutions. ISAF’s mission was initially limited to Kabul. Resolution 1510 passed by the UNSC on 13 October 2003 opened the way to a wider role for ISAF to support the Government of Afghanistan beyond Kabul.

What is the aim of the operation?

ISAF's role is to assist the Government of Afghanistan and the International Community in maintaining security within its area of operation. ISAF supports the Government of Afghanistan in expanding its authority to the rest of the country, and in providing a safe and secure environment conducive to free and fair elections, the spread of the rule of law, and the reconstruction of the country.

Read the Complete Article here ...........

I think i was taking about ISAF and they have Widened their Area of Operation in 2005 ........ Afganistan was a UN sponsored Operation so i Guess that can take command ............and i was Right they Did take over Officially on 11 August 2003 ........ Germany is Provoding most of the Solders right now in ISAF.

Source:US Department of State

Press Statement

Kabul, Afghanistan
February 9, 2004

Change of Command in Afghanistan

Released by NATO

On 9 February, Canadian Lt Gen Rick Hillier assumed command of the NATO-led peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan from German Lt Gen Götz F.E. Gliemeroth in a ceremony held in Kabul.

The change of command marks the beginning of the second, six-month period of NATO’s command of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan.

The ceremony was attended by Hamid Karzai, President of Afghanistan, NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, NATO’s Supreme Allied Europe Commander, General James L. Jones, and the Commander in Chief, Allied Forces North, General Gerhard W. Back.

We know now that our future security, wherever we are, depends on Afghanistan’s security. And we will do what we must to help you, President Karzai, your government and the people of this country build a better, safer and more prosperous future,” said NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Schaeffer in his speech at the ceremony.

The mission of the International Security Assistance Force, under NATO’s command, is to assist the Afghan Transitional Authority in providing stability and security in Afghanistan. NATO assumed leadership of the ISAF mission on 11 August 2003. This is the Alliance’s first ever mission outside the Euro-Atlantic area.

There are more than 6,100 soldiers under ISAF command, including the Kunduz Provincial Reconstruction Team. NATO’s increased and more formal involvement in Afghanistan demonstrates its nations’ continuing long-term commitment to stability and security for the Afghan people.

The Alliance is currently in the process of finalising an operational plan for a further expansion of the mission to cover wider areas of the country.

This site is managed by the Bureau of Public Affairs, U.S. Department of State.
External links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views or privacy policies contained therein.

Source:US State Department of Defence

NATO Assumes Command of the Peacekeeping Force in Afghanistan

Special to American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 11, 2003 -- During a change of command ceremony in Kabul today, NATO assumed strategic command, control and coordination of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan. The force had been under the leadership of Germany and the Netherlands.

A NATO press release stated this important event underscores the long- term commitment of all NATO allies to stability and security for the Afghan people.

NATO expressed gratitude for the outstanding German and Dutch contribution, officials said, and also thanked nations that have decided to contribute to ISAF under NATO's leadership.

ISAF's name and mission will not change. NATO will work within the same United Nations mandate as ISAF III and will operate according to current and future U.N. resolutions.

NATO's commitment to the ISAF mission is a reflection of the alliance's transformation agenda and resolve to address the new security challenges of the 21st century.

NATO Supreme Allied Commander U.S. Marine Gen. James Jones appointed German army Lt. Gen. Götz Gliemeroth as ISAF commander and Canadian army Maj. Gen. Andrew Leslie as his deputy.

At the change of command ceremony in Kabul, NATO was represented by the deputy secretary general, Ambassador Alessandro Minuto Rizzo, and Jones, as well as other officials.

(Based on a NATO release.)

PEace
-=SF_13=-

I think you are mis-reading that. I think that's saying that the ISAF are the european coalition forces and NATO is running that. The American forces are a seperate army altogether.

Back