• It's normal

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • It sucks!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know and I don't care

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
ADMIN EDIT: CONTENT COPIED FROM THIS ARTICLE:
http://ljforestier.com/2009/10/28/british-soldiers-also-complaining-about-5-56mm-nato/

In a recent Telegraph, a survey of “more than 50 servicemen” concluded that the 5.56 NATO (5.56 x 45 mm) “tailed off” after 300 meters, this being a problem as half of all Helmand firefights occur at 300 to 900 meters.
M16A2_2-300x105.jpg
The U.S. M16A2

I cannot speak for the British SA80, but for the U.S. M16A2, the maximum effective range is 800 meters. Now maximum range is the farthest distance you can expect to hit someone and actually do some damage. I would also like to point out that 800 meters is about one half mile. At about 300 meters (about .2 mile) a man sized target is approximately the same size as your front sight post.
I will not disagree with the conclusions of the this study in so much as it just shows that the weapon is being deployed improperly. It is being used at distances that it was not designed to be effective at. It’s kinda like buying a pinto and claiming that it doesn’t go fast.
7.62x51-vs-5.56x45-2-267x300.jpg
The 7.62 NATO vs. The 5.56 NATO note the size difference

The article calls for a unilateral switch to the 7.62 NATO (7.62 x 51 mm). This would certainly extend the “reach” of the ammunition, but at a significant increase in weight. The author of the article claims that we are outclassed by the Taliban’s use of the AK series which fires a 7.62 caliber bullet, this is correct, but it is 7.62 x 39 mm. The Soviet M43 was based on the German 7.62 Kurz round (Kurz meaing short). The M43 is lighter than the 7.62 NATO and is much less powerful (2,059 ft. lbs vs. 2,472 ft. lbs). This weight
M43-vs-5.56-NATO.jpg
The M43 vs the 5.56 NATO notice its overall size compapred to the 5.56 NATO

disparity is why the military is looking into a more intermediate round such as the 6.8 SPC (6.8 x 43 mm).
Two last points:
It added that Javelin anti-tank missiles, costing £100,000 each, are often fired at lone gunmen.
Once again, I cannot speak for the U.K. but considering the costs that go into your soldiers £100,000 (approximately $164,000) is a bargain if it saves one soldiers life. Even if you discount training costs (which varies from MOS to MOS but can run $50,000+), SGLI pays out $400,000. The there are the medical bills for the wounded. Even a bean counter who wants to put a price on a soldier’s life would see that he is saving money by firing that missle.
Only one in four British, US and German troops has been issued with guns using 7.62mm ammunition.
Once again, 7.62 NATO vs. M43. Being a much heavier round it serves a different purpose, mostly M21 for designated marksmen and the M240 series is a light machine gun and due to its weight (27.6 lbs unloaded) is either mounted or used with it’s integrated tripod.
The 5.56 NATO does have its problems but much of the reporting for this article and the recommendations therein were written by someone who doesn’t understand the problem.

To all infantrymen and gunusers out there , tell me this: is the 5.56x45mm round an effective round or is it so weak that you need more than one shot to drop a man?

Some books say that it is absolutely lethal, able to stop one's heart owing to sheer velocity. Other accounts claim that enemy soldiers hit with this round continue charging. Some books claim it will tumble and dig multiple wound channels in the body, detractors claim it drills straight though people but yet has poor anti-material penetration.

Any new round adopted must not just be for a new model of rifle, but easily compatible with the vast number of 5.56mm weapons already in service. That implies that it be based on the .222 Rem/.223 Rem/.221 Fireball case so it can be used in unmodified magazines and belt feed systems.
Terminal ballistics at combat ranges is the area in need of improvement, not extreme range performance. This implies the largest bullet from which we can get acceptable exterior ballistics. Acceptable exterior ballistics can be taken to mean any performance better than the 7.62x39mm. This suggests a calibre of 6.5mm-7mm. My initial thoughts were that a 115gr 6.8mm round appeared to be a good starting point for a case of this powder capacity. I'd christened this proposed round the 6.86mm ARC and this round was featured in Special Weapons for Military & Police no.27 (many thanks to Stan Crist for the mock-ups of the rounds). The 6.5mm bullet in a .223 case was also of interest (and was to become my preference). Stan beat me to the punch on that one so this is known as the 6.5mm SCC rather than the 6.5mm ARC!
The 6.8mm or 6.5mm in a .223 case will not equal the 6.8mm SPC on paper but will still out perform any assault rifle round in current use, and the only modification needed is a new barrel and possibly a new gas port and tube. That means economic and logistical benefits as well as improved performance. The 6.8mm SPC requires new magazines and is not compatible with current belt feed mechanisms.

JD Jones of
SSK Industries now markets the 6.5mm MPC round based on a .223 case. I'd like to think that some of the discussions reproduced on this page had some part to play in this.

The .223 Remington is a sporting cartridge with the same external dimensions as the 5.56x45mm NATO military cartridge. It is loaded with a .224" diameter, jacketed bullet, with weights ranging from 40 up to 90 grains, though the most common loadings by far are 55 grains.

The primary difference between .223 Remington and 5.56 x 45 mm is that .223 is loaded to lower pressures and velocities compared to 5.56 mm. .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, but the reverse can be an unsafe combination. The additional pressure created by 5.56 mm ammo will frequently cause over-pressure problems such as difficult extraction, flowing brass, or popped primers, but in extreme cases, could damage or destroy the rifle. Chambers cut to .223 Remington specifications have a shorter leade (throat) area as well as slightly shorter headspace dimensions compared to 5.56 mm "military" chamber specs, which contributes to the pressure issues.

While the 5.56 mm and .223 cartridges are very similar, they are not identical. Military cases are made from thicker brass than commercial cases, which reduces the powder capacity (an important consideration for handloaders), and the NATO specification allows a higher chamber pressure. Test barrels made for 5.56mm NATO measure chamber pressure at the case mouth, as opposed to the SAAMI location. This difference accounts for upwards of 20,000+ psi difference in pressure measurements. That means that advertised pressure of 58,000 psi for 5.56mm NATO, is around 78,000 psi tested in .223 Rem test barrels (SAAMI .223 Rem Proof MAP is 78,500 psi so every 5.56mm round fired is a proof load, very dangerous). The 5.56 mm chambering, known as a NATO or mil-spec chambers, have a longer leade, which is the distance between the mouth of the cartridge and the point at which the rifling engages the bullet. The .223 chambering, known as the "SAAMI chamber", is allowed to have a shorter leade, and is only required to be proof tested to the lower SAAMI chamber pressure. To address these issues, various proprietary chambers exist, such as the Wylde chamber[2] or the Armalite chamber, which are designed to handle both 5.56 mm and .223 equally well.

Using commercial .223 cartridges in a 5.56-chambered rifle should work reliably, but generally will not be as accurate as when fired from a .223-chambered gun due to the excessive leade. [3] Using 5.56 mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223-chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and the SAAMI recommends against the practice.[4] Some commercial rifles marked as ".223 Remington" are in fact suited for 5.56 mm, such as many commercial AR-15 variants and the Ruger Mini-14, but the manufacturer should always be consulted to verify that this is acceptable before attempting it, and signs of excessive pressure (such as flattening or gas staining of the primers) should be looked for in the initial testing with 5.56 mm ammunition.
Source(s):

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/556-223…

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1778197/posts

Troops from the U.S. Army and Marine Corps are still complaining about the "inadequate stopping power" of the 5.56mm round used in the M-16 family of assault rifles. Last year, the army did a study of current 5.56mm M855 round, in response to complaints. Troops reported many reports where enemy fighters were hit with one or more M855 rounds and kept coming. The study confirmed that this happened, and discovered why. If the M855 bullet hits slender people at the right angle, and does not hit a bone, it goes right through. That will do some soft tissue damage, but nothing immediately incapacitating. The study examined other military and commercial 5.56mm rounds and found that none of them did the job any better. The study concluded that, if troops aimed higher, and fired two shots, they would have a better chance of dropping people right away. The report recommended more weapons training for the troops, so they will be better able to put two 5.56mm bullets where they will do enough damage to stop oncoming enemy troops.

Marines got the same advice from their commanders. But infantrymen in the army and marines both continue to insist that the problem is not with "their marksmanship", { The first purpose for every Marine is to be, an outstanding Crack pot Shooter!} but with the 5.56mm bullet. Marines say they have used captured AK-47 rifles in combat, and found that the lower velocity, and larger, 7.62mm bullets fired by these weapons were more effective in taking down enemy troops. {God Bless The Corps for showing initiative!}

The army study did not address complaints about long range shots (over 100 meters), or the need for ammo that is better a blasting through doors and walls. The army had been considering a switch of a larger (6.8mm) round, and the Special Forces has been testing such a round in the field. But a switch is apparently off the table at the moment. The army report was not well received by the troops, and there is still much grumbling in the ranks over the issue.

Last edited:
This isnt a war of range. Most engagements are of 50 meters or less. MOUT is what wins these engagements. The Army expects you to be able to shoot out to 300 meters with a M4 [shortened barrel] A 12 gauge is used for breaching or Det cord.

MOUT engagements are about 50m or less, so much so that you won't be using your sights while indoors.
A firefight out in the woods, it's within 200m.
But for most intents and purposes, anything beyond 300m is not very practical.

MOUT engagements are about 50m or less, so much so that you won't be using your sights while indoors.
A firefight out in the woods, it's within 200m.
But for most intents and purposes, anything beyond 300m is not very practical.

My Shot Gun has CCO. Mounted on any Rifle. It's used for Urbain inviroments under 100M. US Army, Marines ++++++++ all use them.

Depending on the environment your in. There are many fire fights fought at long rang. For example.

The US forward Op Base they had in Afgan, that closed down, at the bottom of that valley I think 8 US Died as inflicting many casualties.
Tango Bravo was firing down hill on 3 flanks, from 200 to 500m Range.

Last edited:
K2 is a South Korean assault rifle that is very popular in South Korea, but little known elsewhere. It is the replacement of the M16 which was formerly in South Korean use. It's a great rifle, and it uses parts from both the M16 and the Ak-47 which makes it kind of a blend between two of the greatest assault rifles on Earth. What do you think?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_K2

Damn mighty fine rifle when updated with a modern rail system.

dscn2429.jpg

dscn2430.jpg

I want one but they're starting to get pricy here in the States. They haven't been imported since the early '90s.

That's a shame. I'd like to have one here too.
The picture in question is an airsoft K-2 but SEALs and SF units have K-2s fitted with a rail system like the one you see above.

I have a K1A1 which uses the direct gas impingement system of the AR rather than the long stroke gas piston as used in the K2. Mine has given exceptional service for almost 30 years. It is accurate and dependable, as well as easy to operate and field strip. The only gripe I have is not being able to find after-market accessories for it. I can only imagine that the reliability of the K2 would be even better.

CHung cac ban nhung ngay cuoi nam lam viec hang hay va quyet tam.
Chung toi rat cam on cac bai viet co gia tri cua cac ban.
Trang trong cam on.

Back