juvenile criminal waiver

jaypi

I am 21 years old and wanting to join the Marines by feb. 1st 2009 or swear in. However, when I was 16 I was charged with theft in excess of $400. While the case was dismissed and sealed and I did not have to pay restitution, I was sentenced to 6 months of probation and community service, but it comes up on my juvenile record as a felony.
The recruiting office nearest my residence said they couldn't help me because the CO was really strict about that? But they told me to try in a different county just north of here. I just spoke with the recruiter from the office they referred me to and she told me that she doesn't know if the waiver would be approved but will complete a waiver package and help me out. My question is, if anyone has prior experience with a similar situation how it turned out. Also how long does it take for a waiver package to be approved or denied.

Thanks

what's up with all these "ex-convicts" coming to this forum to post about ways to get into the military?
Starting to get a little suspicious...

Well, I was never "convicted" so I can't be considered an "ex-convict". But stuff happens when youths are misguided and undecided.

No I know what you mean. I served with a few and some of them were good people. What I mean is the forum's seen a LOT of such people asking questions about waivers.

I'm confused - if you weren't convicted and the case was dismissed, how is there a felony on your record?

Well really not on my record, the court documents say I was charged with a felony, but it was dismissed

It asked if I've been charged of any crime. Regardless of any date. USMC questionnaire asked that question.

I, like you did some dumb things in my youth. Fish and Game convictions when I was 17. In NJ there is no distinction between an air rifle and a .30-06. They are both considered FIREARMS. Since I was hunting rabbits out of season on the property next to a school I got hammered twice.
I needed a waiver to get into the Army (Proudly served 19 years).
The recruiter handled the paperwork and I had to go and talk to a Colonel who asked me the usual questions. The waiver was approved and I was allowed to enlist.
Long story short, you can get a waiver for just about anything.
Look in the phonebook for recruiting stations. Go in and talk to them. Tell them your story and see who will be upfront and offer to help. Remember that recruiters need to make mission too and they should be willing to help you. If not find another recruiter.

And does the application ask if you've been charged, or convicted?

Big difference, very important.

Because it will still show up as a felony charge when a criminal history/records check is run. For it not to show up it has to be expunged from his record and the expungment filed with the State and Federal Goverment. The record is then physcically removed from the data base.

If he was finger printed until the the record is expunged then every set of prints he ever gives will register with CJIS as a felony charge regardless of the courts disposition in the case.

Surely five years is long enough to get a juvenile record expunged. Maybe you should look into that, then work on enlistment.

It seems my record hadn't been sealed after talking to the courthouse. Also after talking to the recruiter, had it been sealed, which deems it to never have occurred, then I would be able to join. It takes $120 to seal a record in California, and about 9 months... sucks to say the least. But I will begin the process.

Back